The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Morphs
 Masque- The new gene on the block - please read.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
oakleyman18 Posted - 21/08/2013 : 12:48:21
Hello Everyone!

So I thought it would be really useful for everyone to have a post on Masque, so everyone can get their head around it. Because it's a dominant gene, it is spreading like wildfire, and is often confused as diffsed/bloodred, as a het marker for diffused, or because it can sometimes remove belly checkers, again diffused and sometimes even as motley.

So here's a quick run down, and because it's still new there may be some tweaks needed, as I don't think anyone's an expert as yet, however here's what I know, and hopefully you guys can take something away from this.

So what is MASQUE?

Masque is a Dominant cornsnake gene. It has two main indicators that show you if your corn is Masque or not.

Firstly, it will usually present itself with a grey/white head pattern (often confused as a diffused/bloodred trait). This is not a trait of either diffused or bloodred corns, it is purely down to the Masque gene.

(A Hypo Butter showing Masque)

Secondly, checkers will be split down the centre more often than not, sometimes to such an extent as to look like there almost aren't any checkers.

(An Amber displaying Masque checker patterns)

So why is this important? Why should you know about Masque? For several reasons:

1- It's a co-dominant gene, so if one of your corns is Masque, generally about half your offspring will display Masque features.

2- It is often confused with Diffused/Bloodred. What makes a diffused/bloodred is complete lack of checkers (clean belly) and a diffusion of the lateral pattern to the snake. However sometimes Masque can be so strong, that it nearly completely removes checkers from view, and can almost be confused with Diffused.

(An Amber Lavender displaying Masque, very strongly. Tiny checkers however indicates that this is down to Masque and not diffused)

This is very important, because you may mis-identify babies, which not only creates frustration for the new owners, but also can play havoc with your breeding plans in future, as a Masque corn which you think is diffused put to a diffused corn will result in normals (all be it some Masque) all het diffused. Which would be a dissapointment, not what you were expecting I'm sure!

Please post any questions and I'll do my best to answer :)

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
oakleyman18 Posted - 12/05/2014 : 17:47:12
quote:
Originally posted by oakleyman18

Masque is a Dominant cornsnake gene.

Worth mentioning it's thought to be Co-dominant, not Dominant. Sorry- A typo on my behalf here as I was rattling through information.

Also- there is a 3rd indicator, which is that the 3rd or 4th saddle is blurred into the next, a sort of smudge between the two. I'll try to update with a picture when I find one.
NexivRed Posted - 01/01/2014 : 22:45:33
My diffused/masque girl also has the flying dumbo marking :) Need to find out which she is!

oakleyman18 Posted - 22/08/2013 : 12:39:50
Thanks for clarifying Eeji, I did know that, but don't think I made it very clear.. :)

And it's Masque that's causing it. The Dad's heavily masqued, and it seems he's passed his confusing trait onto his offspring, hence my disappointments with "Diffused Amber Lavenders" and "Hypo Sulphurs".. :(
eeji Posted - 21/08/2013 : 22:13:18
quote:
Originally posted by oakleyman18

I didn't want to complicate it too much, but I'm fairly sure the grey head is the super form of Masque.. That's what I think word on the street is. Being dominant basically you can be "het" masque, and part of it shows through. Much like Tessera in that most are actually "het" Tessera, but because it's dominant over normal, it shows through :) And yes, you can also get Super Tessera, but they look the same I think.

het tessera and homozygous tessera look the same.

The amber in the ventral example, is it 100% masque thats causing the split or is it the hypo thats causing it (split cheques also a hypo trait)?
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 21/08/2013 : 21:09:48
HANDY :)
oakleyman18 Posted - 21/08/2013 : 16:01:37
I didn't want to complicate it too much, but I'm fairly sure the grey head is the super form of Masque.. That's what I think word on the street is. Being dominant basically you can be "het" masque, and part of it shows through. Much like Tessera in that most are actually "het" Tessera, but because it's dominant over normal, it shows through :) And yes, you can also get Super Tessera, but they look the same I think.
Moppet Posted - 21/08/2013 : 14:51:57
Thanks for that Good idea to spread the knowledge a bit.

What confused me was that I thought all masques had the head pattern like in the first photo and this isn't the case.
serena_08 Posted - 21/08/2013 : 13:40:35
^^^^ that is an amazing marking!
oakleyman18 Posted - 21/08/2013 : 13:03:21
I'd like to think so :) I have had a few this year with really fun head patterns! Like this little guy:

Coal Posted - 21/08/2013 : 12:56:06
This is really helpful thanks, also that first pic really shows where the gene got its name :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000