The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 hello

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
piebobs71 Posted - 13/07/2014 : 21:44:57
hi,finally got on,going to spend a bit of time reading and learning before i decide on my first snake,i've joined here and the corn snake forum,thanks to graeme on the royal python facebook page for sorting my email issues
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Razee Posted - 18/07/2014 : 08:28:18
Sphagnum moss is the best moss - it's a natural antiseptic, they used it in WW1 in dressing for wounds. You can buy a big sac of it in any garden centre, it's used for hanging baskets, just make sure it's pure, with no chemicals or colours added to it.

I avoid buying it in a reptile shop, as it's ridiculously expensive for a tiny package, either go for a garden centre ( you get about 20 x more moss for the same price in small package, or a massive bag for about £8 - 10 , that will last for years! ), or collect your own on any damp heathland, or in the woods. I also found, that quite often the moss sold for reptiles actually isn't sphagnum moss at all! That would explain some people's complaints it's gone mouldy - sphagnum moss keeps almost forever, without going bad!

To keep it - I used to divide it in small packages into freezer bags and freeze it. When I needed the moss, I'd take it out, and poured boiling hot water from the kettle over it. Let it cool down, then rinse, squeeze all the water out, and it's ready. Nowadays though, I don't bother freezing it anymore, because I've got a massive bag of it ( I use it for my bonsai, too, in fact, my trees get any old moss after it's been used for the snakes, too ) . I find it keeps really well, if kept moist in its bag, outside in the garden, in shade. Even if it dries out, it can easily be re wetted.

As to how much to use - when you make the moist hide ( any tub will do, the right size for your snake , and preferably dark , or at least with a dark lid ), just rinse the moss well, squeeze all the water out, so that there's no drips any more, fluff it up again, then fill about 1/3 rd of the box with it.
Just make sure you check it, in case the moss dries out. It all depends how big the hide is, and how much moss you're using. If you have a hatchling, in a tiny tub made of the smallest butter tub with half a handfull of moss, it probably dries out quicker, than a bigger tub with lots of moss in it. I'd say it will stay moist for several days at least, even the small ones.

Hope this helps :-)
piebobs71 Posted - 17/07/2014 : 20:47:23
see with the moss for shedding,is there a good/bad choice? how much do you roughly need per shedding and if you buy bulk does the stuff not used keep moist ok?
piebobs71 Posted - 17/07/2014 : 20:40:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels

I'd say it is fair to say the staff in Arbroath have variable levels of knowledge, and their own personal interests differ too. The owner is actually female. I didn't get or ask for any advice from them.....I come to these forums for that What I liked was that they had time for my 4 year old and let him hold and feed the snakes so I could be confident he wasn't going to baulk at either! They are also handy for frozen food as I never go to Dundee and the mice would have defrosted by the time I got home anyway.

I got a dual probe (one for hot end/one for cold end - no humidity checker) digi thermometer - actually I got one for the faun from eBay and one when I upgraded the viv from Blue Lizard Reptiles (whose customer service I must applaud loudly!).

My second (and other) hides tend to be kitchen/toilet roll middles and egg boxes...very stylish but wheels does not care, actually he spends most of his time in a kitchen roll middle

yeah i'm with you on the frozen food will be very handy being in arbroath,never thought of using tubes or egg boxes lol sounds interesting
piebobs71 Posted - 17/07/2014 : 20:37:28
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I can understand why you were put off Andrew. I know some people do put young snakes straight into vivariums but you never know how they're going to react. Some are fine whereas others, even with lots of hiding places, get stressed. To my mind it's not worth it as I want to give my snakes the best start possible and if that means spending money on increasing enclosure size as they grow then so be it.

I think you'll find only a few people measure the humidity in their snake's vivs. It's not something I've ever worried about. With the humidity levels inside an average British house it shouldn't be an issue. When I see they are blue I do increase the humidity to help ensure they have a clean shed but other than that don't give it a 2nd thought.

You said you'd bought a 'hide', singular. I'm assuming you mean two . After seeing the corns he had on offer I'm surprised you only put your name down for one .

Xxx

there was some really nice coloured corns there,i picked a granite one,i only purchased one from the guy in dundee as i wanted to shop around for something different at the other end
Wheels Posted - 17/07/2014 : 10:57:20
I'd say it is fair to say the staff in Arbroath have variable levels of knowledge, and their own personal interests differ too. The owner is actually female. I didn't get or ask for any advice from them.....I come to these forums for that What I liked was that they had time for my 4 year old and let him hold and feed the snakes so I could be confident he wasn't going to baulk at either! They are also handy for frozen food as I never go to Dundee and the mice would have defrosted by the time I got home anyway.

I got a dual probe (one for hot end/one for cold end - no humidity checker) digi thermometer - actually I got one for the faun from eBay and one when I upgraded the viv from Blue Lizard Reptiles (whose customer service I must applaud loudly!).

My second (and other) hides tend to be kitchen/toilet roll middles and egg boxes...very stylish but wheels does not care, actually he spends most of his time in a kitchen roll middle
Kellog Posted - 17/07/2014 : 08:10:27
I can understand why you were put off Andrew. I know some people do put young snakes straight into vivariums but you never know how they're going to react. Some are fine whereas others, even with lots of hiding places, get stressed. To my mind it's not worth it as I want to give my snakes the best start possible and if that means spending money on increasing enclosure size as they grow then so be it.

I think you'll find only a few people measure the humidity in their snake's vivs. It's not something I've ever worried about. With the humidity levels inside an average British house it shouldn't be an issue. When I see they are blue I do increase the humidity to help ensure they have a clean shed but other than that don't give it a 2nd thought.

You said you'd bought a 'hide', singular. I'm assuming you mean two . After seeing the corns he had on offer I'm surprised you only put your name down for one .

Xxx
SilverWings Posted - 16/07/2014 : 23:56:36
There's no real reason not to put a snake straight into a large viv as long as it has appropriate cover and a feeling of security. Of course with a baby corn it would just let itself out the gap in the glass, so better to go for a smaller faun XD

I don't really bother monitoring humidity. Just remember to add a moist hide for shedding (it's not necessary when not shedding), and your'e dandy.

p.s. welcome :p
piebobs71 Posted - 16/07/2014 : 21:34:56
yeah i visited Christies critters last week,i was slightly put off by the info i was given by the young guy that works in there who said for a ball python just go straight to a 4ft viv,which went against everything i had read online,although i'm sure the older guy knows his stuff with all the successful breeding he seems to be doing,really nice baby chameleons in there just now
piebobs71 Posted - 16/07/2014 : 21:30:27
I've purchased the faun,bedding,bowl,hide,stat,heat mat and have put my name down for a snake at the reptile shop in Dundee,Just right for reptiles,was on a break at Dundee bus station,so took a wander up,i'll need to get a digital thermometer as he didn't have any left in stock,had a play with a very cute ball python,but then he brought out a couple of the most beautiful little corns,i asked to see all his feeding records and checked the snakes enclosure,everything looked good,so i'll hopefully be picking him/her up next week on my day off,what are people using to keep an eye on humidity? one of the dual thermometers or individual units?
scottishbluebird Posted - 16/07/2014 : 16:44:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels

Christie's critters is a friendly little shop, if you haven't been it is worth a visit.....but watch out, baby hoggies are about (shhhh scottishbluebird might hear )

I held my first snake there and wheels came home soon after. Got snake, faun, heat mat, stat, hide, water bowl and first month's food for £100

They also have a reptile meet once a month, but I haven't been to that.
lol i'd have a female if i could, not for breeding though!
For research, though, this forum is the place to come; I'd gone through most of the site before our (first) addition!

Kellog Posted - 16/07/2014 : 09:53:38
Welcome to the mad house Andrew . I'm so glad you've been doing your research before getting your snake . Unfortunately so many people don't .

As has been said, any you'll have seen, there's lots of information on here about keeping corns. If you can't find what you want to know using the search option, then please don't hesitate to ask. We don't bite, much . In the top right corner, by the search option, is 'Active topics'. You can use that to access those threads that have been commented on since you last logged in.

Pics are compulsory, of course. Hopefully this will help - How to post images using Photobucket , although it is playing up at the moment . You will need to look at this as well Photobucket update . You can also post pics via Facebook. Select the IMG option (top of box, yellow and looks like a mountain), then just right click on the Facebook photo, select copy URL and add them between the [img] tags. Hopefully that makes sense .

A word of warning, this won't be your last corn....they are addictive .

Xxx
Wheels Posted - 15/07/2014 : 22:29:50
Christie's critters is a friendly little shop, if you haven't been it is worth a visit.....but watch out, baby hoggies are about (shhhh scottishbluebird might hear )

I held my first snake there and wheels came home soon after. Got snake, faun, heat mat, stat, hide, water bowl and first month's food for £100

They also have a reptile meet once a month, but I haven't been to that.

For research, though, this forum is the place to come; I'd gone through most of the site before our (first) addition!
scottishbluebird Posted - 15/07/2014 : 17:36:33
Arbroath, I'm just down the road in Kirriemuir, at least you have reptile shop there
Wheels Posted - 15/07/2014 : 16:09:44
Welcome along! You'll find no end of useful stuff here.

It is worth doing the research first - you'll find a whole set of new questions once you get the snake.....at least that is what I found

Arbroath, eh....I checked your profile, but your userid gave you away You'll find a few locals around these boards
Bertie Posted - 15/07/2014 : 13:44:26
Hello and welcome
Ull find a wealth of information on here
Moppet Posted - 14/07/2014 : 22:51:21
Hello and welcome to the forum
piebobs71 Posted - 14/07/2014 : 21:16:05
and its lucky for me he does
gmac Posted - 14/07/2014 : 18:49:26
welcome along, that Graeme, gets everywhere!
kev 5 Posted - 14/07/2014 : 17:38:58
Hello and welcome
scottishbluebird Posted - 14/07/2014 : 15:48:33
Hi and welcome

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000