The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Newspaper under bedding?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Razee Posted - 03/04/2015 : 12:29:50
Just wondered - do you use newspaper under your snake's bedding? I have always done this, mainly because Bazil always buries her poops, and the newspaper soaks up any wet bits, so I can just pick the poop, tear out/ replace the wet newspaper bit, and wipe the viv floor under it with a disinfectant...

However...

Sebastian, who is in my bedroom, has taken to making a newspaper origami ( after I have stopped him grinding his teeth on glass ), every night. He crawls under the bedding, and starts folding - and it's amazing what he can do, considering he's got no hands. Problem is, not only this really messes up the viv, it makes a hell of a racket in the middle of the night.

I've fed him yesterday, cleaned his viv, replaced all the folded and torn newspaper, added lots of lignocel, and thought I'd have one night of peace, with him digesting.

Ha. No chance. He's been paperfolding all night. Viv looks like a bomb site, lignocel in water bowl,and I hardly slept.
So, thinking about taking his newspaper out - but I still need to cover the heatmat with something. Not only so that he's not in direct contact, it's mainly to soak any wee over the heatmat... what do you use?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Charles Posted - 07/04/2015 : 08:19:37
I have wall tiles over my heat mats
ScalySituation Posted - 03/04/2015 : 19:36:34
Thought about it but decided against it, can't remember why haha
Donnie Posted - 03/04/2015 : 16:57:23
I just have aspen straight on the heat mat. Never had any issues with them being in direct contact with the mat as the stat probe is glued to it and if they clear all the aspen off then I just throw a handful back over it.
SilverWings Posted - 03/04/2015 : 12:55:16
I used to, but not anymore because they would inevitably end up scrunching it up. Also if I just wanted to spot clean but it had soaked in to the paper I had to take all the paper out. My vivariums are on a heat cable which is thankfully waterproof, so I don't need to worry about keeping poop away from it, but I used to use glass sheets from picture frames (Aleron still has one with glass on). Stops them getting under the mat too. It's difficult to find picture glass that's got smooth edges, some can be quite sharp.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000