The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Is your snake a fatty?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sta~ple Posted - 15/09/2010 : 21:08:16
I have seen many corn's in shops, on the internet, on other forums ect, (not on here before anyone rages) that are fat. Most of the time people don't realise they are fat, they get told bad advise from petshops and even bad advise off the internet. There are no pictures as such unless someone posts a picture of their snake, and the only description given to a fat snake's is "tyres" which can be confused for cancer or scale damage or "white between scales" which is also tricky to see on some morphs. I think it would be nice to get a collection of picture's of fat and obese snakes and different ways of them losing the weight. It could save vet trips and save on the amount of topics of "is my snake fat", worried owners and improve the life of a snake who's owners might not know it's fat. I asked in my local petshop of my snake was fat once, I got one response of "no it's not, look how fat royals are" and another of "omg it has cancer", both of which I know are not true. I cannot use picture I have found as I have no rights, so people that have/had a fat snake feel free to post them.

Fat snake can have "hips" around their bottom, folded scales that look like tyres and may not be able to curl up properly and flesh maybe visible in-between the scales when the snakes body is straight although this might be hard to tell depending in the colour of your snake. The fat bulging around the bottom/tyres will feel squishy.

This is what the scale damage can look like due to the tyre effect. Some of the tips of the scales are missing on this snake due to this effect.

Anyway, here's Venom, I'd say he is morbidly obese. I hope these help.

He's 5ft 1" and 9 years old. He weighed 1193g in this photo 926/05/10). He was fed large weaner rats weekly for a year as I got told by the petshop to do this and if I didn't I would be starving. He started getting fat so I dieted him to 1 weaner rat every 2 weeks, for another year, he just got fatter. I then cut him down to every 3 weeks for another yearish and every 4 for another year and he just got fatter.

He last weighed at 1049g, (21/08/10) so has lost 144g over 3 months, this is due to his new diet of 1 large mouse every 4 weeks and exercise. He may not look a lot different in this photos, but I can certainly notice it when I handle him and now he can get into one of his fav hides again! A good way of monitoring the weight loss of a fat snake is to weigh them after they shed their skin and keep a record of it.

Regular handling can help as it makes them move about.

Excise courses work very well. This is my personal favourite as the snake seems to be more willing to do this. I empty the viv and put a load of toilet tubes in it for explorations and this way, they can slither through and climb on them. Rocks, tables, vines also work nicely. You may have to change the objects of give them new and different smells as they may loose interest after the first few times.

Climbing the stairs can burn off the fat but you must keep an eye on the snake so it doesn't fall down the stairs (almost happened a few times because the bottom end is so heavy! A hand gently supporting the bottom end whilst hey climb is a good idea.) or escape. Can be quite hard to make the snake clib up the stair's too, I find that mine much prefer going down them rather than up.

Swimming can help with weight loss but it can be a faff to clean the bath for the snake to swim in and the clean it out afterwards. Also, most snakes don't like to go for a swim so keeping them in the bath can be tricky.

Mod's delete this if I'm being silly
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SilverWings Posted - 03/03/2014 : 09:35:52
My 4.5ft male was 1125g when I first got him, he's around the 950g mark now and still on a diet but still incredibly chunky. He feels totally different to the others, they are lithe and muscly and he is squishy and has trouble moving on smooth floors. He doesn't *look* fat anymore, but I'm going by the feel of him and by his movement. He has trouble going up the stairs too, tends to go sideways.
Kellog Posted - 03/03/2014 : 09:09:14
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Mine is over 1000g and he's around 6 years old and 5ft, nice shape and muscle tone.

Snakes do differ Lee and a certain snake may 'carry' it's weight better than another. I must admit I do find it hard to imagine a 5ft corn that's over 1000g. 2 of my adult males are around that length and I try to keep their weights around the 800g mark. Anything more than that and I get concerned about the extra weight they're carrying. People tend to forget that corns are supposed to be long and thin....and that it's a lot harder to get the weight off than it is to put it on, just like with us .

Out of interest, what are you feeding him and how often?

Xxx
Lee Posted - 01/03/2014 : 22:09:15
Mine is over 1000g and he's around 6 years old and 5ft, nice shape and muscle tone.
smart bunny Posted - 01/03/2014 : 08:39:40
At 4.5ft he should definitely be heavier and not toblerone shape. As Kellog says, I would increase to large mice weekly until he fills out (then once he's at a good shape drop down to larges every couple of weeks). Corno is about the same length and over 500g. She's feed a large every 14-18 days as I was a little worried she was getting too fat... although now breeding season is starting I'm less worried as she just cruised her viv all day every day last time so she'll probably keep herself trim that way lol!
Kellog Posted - 25/02/2014 : 08:47:03
I've covered this a bit on your other thread Jacquie. If he is Toblerone-shaped then that is indicating that he is verging on under-weight. I'm glad you've weighed him as it's important to keep a record of that.

You don't want to power-feed him and overwhelm his system, so you've done the right thing in increasing his feeds to medium mice and now is probably the time to up him to larges. It may be that he stays that shape, corns are supposed to be long and thin. But as long as he's eating and putting on weight he'll be fine .

Xxx
Jacquie72 Posted - 24/02/2014 : 11:50:34
My major concern is Henry's weight. He's 4.5ft, I should imagine (as I've only had him about 4 weeks) he's got to be about 4 or 5 years old. And he's about 289gms and he's more toberelone than loaf shape. He was pretty skinny when I got him and he was being fed one small mouse a week. I've upped the mouse to a mid sized, though I suspect he's probably in need of a large mouse. He gets lots of exercise as I usually get him out for about an hour a day to clamber over me and the sofa (stuff on there for him to climb over) but I'm sure he should be at least 50-100gms heavier than what he is. What does anyone else think? These are the only images I have right now as the camera is still away.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Grrrrr! I can't post photos!

But I can ;) - photos added Gmac
scottishbluebird Posted - 05/02/2014 : 01:21:20
after checking her after a bad shed, noticed the gaps around scales. Is she fat? not eaten for 2 months, not bothered as drinking ok.
before was on a large mouse or rat weaner every 14 days
Sta~ple Posted - 22/04/2013 : 18:38:37
I am confused Andria, did you get the other snake at the same time? Or did you have the other one previously? How I am reading it is that you had a snake previously, and not to stray too far from the weight subject, they shouldn't be in the same viv and the new snake should have been quarantined to avoid any health issues being passed onto the other snake. That aside, I would ditch the rats and feed large mice every 10-14 days.

What temp is the hot end and the cool end? Do you know how much weight the other snake has lost?
andria2013 Posted - 22/04/2013 : 17:51:33
the viv is about 25c . they behaving normally . and they sleep in 2 seperate sides hardly ever together. I dont know theyre weights yet .
Welshlamb Posted - 22/04/2013 : 17:19:01
Venon was a fatty. Can see the difference from your pictures. Good job and I can see this topic becoming very useful.
Amazing what some toilet tubes and stairs can do and a good diet.
Kellog Posted - 22/04/2013 : 06:27:57
My first concern would be the fact that the 2 snakes are being kept together Andrea, the weight loss could very easily be down to stress. Some people do keep snakes together and it is a hotly debated topic, but you need to be aware of the risks. This might help - Can my 2 snakes live together?

I'm also concerned that your snake was being fed a rat every 4 weeks. Do you know what size? The maximum size rat to feed a corn snake would be a weaned rat, which is equivalent to an x-large mouse, and you would usually feed that every couple of weeks. Most of us feed our fully grown adults one large mouse every 10 days/fortnight and that is perfectly fine.

Do you know his weight? Is he behaving normally? What are the temps in the viv? The more info you can give us, the more we can help.

Xxx

andria2013 Posted - 21/04/2013 : 13:23:41
I dont wanna make them fat by over feeding them thinking they need more
andria2013 Posted - 21/04/2013 : 13:22:40
i have been visiting the house, cud it be he not getn enough from this 1 rat every 4 weeks . cos he half the size he used to be for a 5ft snake
andria2013 Posted - 21/04/2013 : 13:22:05
my 6ft snake (robin) is new . I got him only 2 weeks ago , he was used to being fed a rat once every 4 week , but the other snake I have in same viv with him , he seems to have lost weight in the 1yr
Georgina Posted - 28/01/2013 : 23:01:13
Far to teeny to be over weight :)
Charles Posted - 28/01/2013 : 22:52:13
Thanks for the reply.

Ok so the areas that got me thinking are on this picture

However, a closer look shows the white area is not around the scales but part of their pattern

So all is well!
Georgina Posted - 27/01/2013 : 23:41:27
Post pics to be sure. But at that age I doubt she's over weight. I feed fuzzies every 6-7 days x
Charles Posted - 27/01/2013 : 23:23:53
OK - I just noticed with Rosie that she is looking paler on her back as there is white showing around the scales. She is 6 months old and just moved up to fluffs. I have been feeding her every 5 days. I can't decide if there is a slight bulge to her bread shape or not. Is this a sign that she might be over weight or is it just that she is now growing quickly?
monalisa70 Posted - 21/09/2012 : 18:17:29
hey was just wondering about my corn saber 3 years about 700g 4 1/2 ft she is not on mice as she wont eat them.she is on 1 rat weaner a week but she doesn't look too chunky
Jenn Posted - 25/08/2012 : 07:53:50
lol, so just weighed Gummy...663g @ 4'. I am going to do reduced size ( one normal adult) every two weeks, he definatley has the bread loaf going on!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000