The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information- Stickies
 Shedding and dealing with shedding problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kellog Posted - 07/10/2010 : 09:12:51
Shedding and dealing with shedding problems

Shedding is one of the exciting parts of having a snake, especially if you get to witness it but it can also be a very nervous time for you, the owner, the first time it happens.

It's a natural process that all snakes go through roughly every 3-4 weeks as a growing youngster to every 3-4 months or so as an adult. The best thing is to leave them to it and let nature take its course. If however you are expecting problems (following a previous poor shed) you can use some of the methods below.

Knowing your snake is 'in blue'

You will know that your snake is due to shed as its colours will dull, particularly on the belly to begin with. Then its eyes will go cloudy and its colours even darker, this is what we call a snake going blue. At this point it will hide away as its eyesight is compromised and will feel very vulnerable. With most morphs it is easy to spot when they are going blue, but it is not as easy with amels and a lot harder with snows and blizzards due to their light colouring....you may not even realise it until you find a shed skin in the viv ! The only thing that might alert you to it is a change in your snake's behaviour.

Their eyes remain cloudy for a few days and then they will clear up and their colours will return to normal. This has confused many new owners who have thought their snake must have shed and searched the viv in vain ! But it will actually be 4/5 days after they have returned to normal before they shed, although this differs with every snake and can differ between sheds. One of my snakes took nearly 2 weeks from the point where his eyes cleared up to when he shed !

Signs of shedding

The signs you need to look out for that your snake is beginning to shed is it being a bit more active, rubbing its head along the sides of its viv, hide, any branches, etc. This happens because it is trying to loosen the shed from around its jaw....and once that has loosened then it can happen very quickly! But be warned....I am convinced there is a corn-conspiracy ! They seem to wait until their owners leave the room and then slip out of their old skin and slither round quite happily in their new bright colours showing them off when their owners return to the room....with their old skin lying forlorn in the corner . Seriously though, a lot of corns shed at night and I know a lot of members haven't had the chance to see their corns shed....despite keeping them for a number of years. So I really do hope you get lucky and get to see your corn shed .

What is vital once it has shed is checking the shed skin for the eye caps and tail tip....as if these are retained they can cause problems. If the shed is not a clean one there are ways to deal with it.

Retained Shed

The first thing to do is try not to panic. Dampen some kitchen paper or a small towel with lukewarm water and let your snake wriggle through it, holding firmly so that the skin comes off. Take care to make sure that the tip of the tail also comes off with the shed, after running through it a couple of times the skin should have come off. If so then check the head piece to make sure the eye caps have come off.

Quite often most shed can come off by themselves, another couple of days in the viv could sort it out. You could swap the usual hides for damp ones so the snake HAS to use them, then put the usual hides back in after a few days. You could also change the usual hides for moss hides:

How to make a damp hide

Moss

If the retained shed has been resolved that's great, if not then the few days in the damp hides will have prepared your snake for a good bath. Some snakes don't mind being bathed, with others it stresses them out....so it is only by knowing your snake can you know whether to try this method first or leave it as a last resort. What is most important is that you limit the stress on the snake.

The bath can be done in a RUB, sink, washing bowl or bath, whatever is a good size. Put a digital thermometer in it to make sure that the water is between 27 and 28oC. Put enough water in that it is just deep enough to cover the snake's body. You can put a bit of fairy in too, it will help get the water underneath the skin it has retained. Let it swim in it for a couple of minutes or until the temps drop to around 22oC. You can run your fingers gently down your corn's body when it's having a bath just to make sure that the water is really getting at the retained shed. The water should have helped to loosen and dislodge the skin. It may have no desire to be in the water, and may try to escape as much as possible, so be prepared for a fast snake as well . When you get you snake out get a dry towel and let it wriggle through it but apply a bit of pressure to it - it usually helps to encourage the retained shed come off.

Another method, less stressful than the bath and good if there is a lot of retained skin, it to put a damp towel or pillow case in a tub and place the snake in, covering it with a damp tea towel. By leaving your snake like this, for approximately an hour or so, you are helping to hydrate the skin and that, in turn, will help the snake to remove the remaining shed itself, rubbing against the towel/pillowcase. If there is still some retained shed when you take your snake out, it should come off more easily when you let it wriggle through a damp tea towel.

You can see an example of this in Vambo's epic first shed ....thanks for letting me steal this Auld Baldy .

If the retained shed is serious and it looks as though your snake hasn't been able to release the skin from around its jaw, once soaked start from the edge and just peel it off using the towel. If this doesn't work, if you can get the tip of your nail over the lip of their mouth, you can start the shed from where it's meant to start from....but this is something that should only be done by someone experienced.

Retained Tail tip

It is always vital that the tip of the tail comes away each shed as if there is a number of unsuccessful sheds where the tail tip is retained it can act like a belt, creating a tight hold around your snakes tail and cutting off the blood flow.

By following the tips above you will hopefully be able to remove any skin that is retained on the tail tip.

Another method to try if it is only the tail tip retained is to soak the layer of shed off with warmish water and cotton wool, doing it very gently and it is very important that you dont pull at the tail.

If this is a problem that has been there a while, with a number of retained tail tips building up and stopping the blood flow, it may be that there is nothing you can do about it and your snake's tail may end up dying and dropping off. This is a worst case scenario and if it does happen it isn't a major thing, a few forum members have snakes that have slightly stumpy tails and you wouldn't even notice.

Retained eye caps

It can be hard to tell if your snake has retained its eye caps. The best way to be sure it hasn't is to see them on the shed skin. You may not notice them immediately, it can look like holes, but you will feel them. If you cannot find enough of the head of the shed to be sure then examine your snake's head very carefully. If the eye caps have been retained there should be some sign on retained shed immediately around the eyes.

You can let it soak in a container (with a lid with air holes) filled with water (of the right temperature) or give it a damp hide.

It is very easy to damage the eye if you are not 100% certain about what you are doing. If you are still concerned that the eye caps are retained then it is best if you get help from an experienced snake keeper or reptile vet.

Helping a snake prepare to shed

If your snake has had trouble shedding before there are a number of things you can do to help it.

Once you see it go 'blue' you can add an extra water bowl into its viv on top of the heat mat. Don't just move the original water bowl as your snake will not want to be drinking warm water. This will help raise the humidity. As far as I know this will only work in wooden vivs as in faunariums there is too much ventilation so the extra humidity is lost.

You can mist your snake's viv once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you don't want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections.

Once its eyes have cleared you can add a damp hide which will also help. In a wooden viv you can put the moss in the warm hide but in a faunarium you would need to put it in both hides to help it loosen its skin.

Handling and Feeding while your snake is blue

It is a personal choice about feeding and handling during the period of them going blue and shedding. I am one of those owners who has chosen not to feed or handle. To my thinking they are very vulnerable at this time as their eyesight is compromised, so in the wild they would be hidden away....not out looking for food. I also know that missing one meal isn't going to make any difference. BUT this is my personal choice and I know lots of members do feed their snakes - and some snakes will feed while blue but others won't. I also don't handle during this time, as even once their eyes have cleared they are partially blind and I want to avoid as much stress for them as possible (probably the hardest time for me as I get withdrawal symptoms from not having my snake time !!). Again, as with feeding, some snakes will tolerate handling during this time and others won't. You need to decide what you feel is best for your snake during this time (and your snake may decide for you !), there is no right or wrong.

Measuring your snake

You may think that measuring your snake's shed is a good way to measure its length, but you need to keep in mind that when a snake sheds the skin is stretched and therefore the length of the shed skin is a lot longer than that of the snake. It is thought that the shed skin will be approximately 10% longer than the snake itself, but this is far from accurate. I always measure my snakes' sheds, but keep in mind it's only an approximate length. I have now used string to measure the snake itself, running the string along the snake from head to tail....NOT an easy thing to do and best done with an extra set of hands. Kellog's sheds measured around 5'3", so taking into account the 10% stretch I averaged his length to be 4'9"....if my maths is right ! His actual length is 4'8", not much different from his 'shed length'. Silvi' sheds average 4'4", so therefore she should be 3'11". Her ACTUAL length is 3'3" !!! VERY different to her 'shed length'.

The most accurate way to measure your snake is to use the Snake Measurer , this thread explains How to use it . There is also an interesting discussion on Measuring your snake , giving other suggestions as well.

I hope this has been of some help and also hope other forum members will correct any mistakes I've made and add their own tips to this thread as well (and thank you to the many forum members whose advice I have learnt from to put this thread together!).

xxx
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LadySybil Posted - 05/03/2014 : 13:09:05
For next time I will use a moss hide and an extra water bowl in the warm end. Might even give her a bath, it has to go better than bathing a cat lol.

I hope you do get to see one of them shedding and not because they are having issues!
Kellog Posted - 05/03/2014 : 08:56:12
Well done for putting in the damp paper towels. I've never used a 'damp' hide before but have found that adding an extra water bowl on the heatmat, putting a damp flannel over the warm hide and misting the warm end lightly once a day works really well. I've got 2 snakes in blue at the moment but know my chances of seeing either 1 shed .

And yes, you are a soppy sod....like so many of us .

Xxx
LadySybil Posted - 04/03/2014 : 13:49:43
I had been putting damp paper towels in a hide in her warm end but that obviously wasnt enough for her, I am definitely buying some of the moss for next shed.

She is so strong for such a little thing, amazing how their muscles work. After we had finished our first shed she curled up in my pj chest pocket and popped her head out, if I didnt know better I would say she was thanking me for helping her. Soppy sod, I know lol.

It doesnt look like she has any retained head shed (lol) but Ive taken a couple pictures, which I will upload later, to see if I have missed any. I cant find anything obvious in the faun just flakes here and there, not one big bit so I am hoping that its just unrecognisable/ too small for me to see against the aspen.
Kellog Posted - 04/03/2014 : 08:34:04
I'm sorry Sybil had a problem shedding LadySybil, but so glad you were able to help her . I know what you mean about how she seemed to know you were helping her. I've only ever had to do that once with mine and instead of fighting me, like she normally would, she worked with me the way Sybil did.

It would certainly be good if you were able to find the head piece, although going by what you've said it may be in such small pieces it's hard to find or identify. Hopefully you should be able to tell if she has any retained on her head and it sounds as though she doesn't. Better safe than sorry though, if possible.

I'm always aware that my snakes sometimes have more issues with shedding in the winter and wonder if it's got to do with the central heating being on, drying out the atmosphere. It may be worthwhile upping the humidity in her viv next time you notice her going blue to try to stop this happening again.

Xxx
LadySybil Posted - 04/03/2014 : 04:08:35
Well, that was exciting...

Had to help her cos it just wasnt happening for her, it seemed like it was stuck with super glue!
Damp face cloth to the rescue following the advice on here and no panic at all, just assessed the situation, saw she needed help and I knew what to do thanks to this thread!
She knew I was helping her as well as I could feel her pushing against me.

I cant see her head piece in her faun so I am going to clean it out properly tomorrow and see if I can find it but what she had managed to get off herself was all bitty and broken up, plus her eyes are really really shiny so I think she managed her head but I am double checking just in case.
LadySybil Posted - 03/03/2014 : 19:09:29
Yum... Old skin... lol

I know it will soon become old hat but the first one is so exciting, everyday is like christmas eve on groundhog day lol
Kellog Posted - 03/03/2014 : 08:01:38
So glad it's been helpful LadySybil . I know I was totally unprepared when my first corn shed and the amount of times we get questions about the fact that the eyes have cleared up but there isn't a shed, could the snake have eaten it !

Xxx
LadySybil Posted - 02/03/2014 : 15:03:56
I must have read this a hundred times but as a noob its just so reassuring while the first shed happens.
Welshlamb Posted - 19/08/2013 : 13:41:45
quote:
Originally posted by mjones

hi all, just bought our first corn 3 wks ago, he is doing brill, seems settled, feeding we;; so far(although not spotted any poo yet in the faun)just wondering when he will shed? according to his records, he shed 4 wks ago. Would appreciate any advice on this matter, oh just to mention he is an 7 wk old amel.

Hmm.. it's very concerning you have not found any faeces. I recommend laying newspaper / kitchen roll as substrate, as this will make it easier to spot. Mine shed on average every 4-5 weeks. But this does get more infrequent the older they get. Mine also go around 2-3 days after a feed just for a point of reference.
mjones Posted - 19/08/2013 : 10:33:32
hi all, just bought our first corn 3 wks ago, he is doing brill, seems settled, feeding we;; so far(although not spotted any poo yet in the faun)just wondering when he will shed? according to his records, he shed 4 wks ago. Would appreciate any advice on this matter, oh just to mention he is an 7 wk old amel.
Steph7990 Posted - 03/03/2013 : 08:02:23
Just to say that my husband was extremely happy to have witnessed our snake shed mid afternoon and right at the front of his home, as if putting on a display for him
ScalySituation Posted - 10/02/2013 : 09:52:55
Is it true that when a male reaches sexual maturity, the coverings of the hemipenes are visable on the shed, cos i found what looks a lot like them on sonnys shed last night and im wondering if this means he's all growed up or not :) x
Isoldael Posted - 20/01/2013 : 14:33:31
Mine shed about once a month, more or less. It depends on how fast she's growing and how much she wears her skin out though :)
daniel_gilly Posted - 19/01/2013 : 22:34:49
my lil amel is around 3 months old and ive had her for about 3 weeks im not sure when she last shed. when you recon she could go into blue?
Isoldael Posted - 19/01/2013 : 20:09:20
You could try adding a damp hide to the viv so she can get inthere when she wants :)
phil7394 Posted - 07/01/2013 : 18:47:38
Hi All. I'm new to all this, but have rehomed a corn called Sable from the SSPCA, as such we have no idea of sex or age, but Sable is around 4 feet long. Sable has just shed for the first time with us, and shed well apart from 1 inch under her neck area. This seems well attached, so we tried damp kitchen roll, a bath and letting Sable rub over the roughest things we felt safe with. The remaining shed still hasn't shifted. The humidity in Sables viv was raised when he/she was in the 'blue'
Should I be concerned or will it just come off by itself?
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Isoldael Posted - 03/01/2013 : 13:08:10
Here are some pre- and post shed pictures to show the difference.

Amelanistic

The dull, blue eye looking eye, before shed:

Before shed (top) and after shed (bottom):

Normal

Before shed (left) after shed (right):

Hope that helps :)

Dayal138 Posted - 08/11/2012 : 18:02:41
thnx
a33272 Posted - 08/11/2012 : 17:54:50
Usually that quick u see them coming out the last bit haha. For little ones liturally minutes.
Dayal138 Posted - 08/11/2012 : 17:25:12
could i ask a question pls, i've just brought a baby corn snake and he's about to shed anyday, how long does it take for them to shed ?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000