The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information- Stickies
 advice on sharing a viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 31/08/2008 : 03:14:34
HI All
Very new to this, getting our first snakes - hatchlings (corns), but not for a few weeks, they've only eaten once!
We are getting two, and were planning to home them together. We intend to get the same sex, as we don't plan to breed.
There are conflicting reports on the internet about homing two snakes together and i would love some advice! Loads of sites say that it's dangerous and that they may kill one another We had already planned to feed them separatly anyway (incase of the accidental eating each other which figures highly on a lot of sites!), but eating aside, do you think it is safe or recommended?
Cheers
Rory

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 19/11/2014 : 09:49:28
I have replied on your other thread but one thing I would say is that if the male has had a bad start in life then he may get easily stressed being in with another snake, let alone one bigger than him. The last thing you want is him to stop feeding.

Unfortunately you often don't know there is an issue until it's too late. This shows what can happen (don't open if you are squeamish) - http://squamishserpents.ca/care-info/can-i-keep-multiple-snakes-in-one-enclosure As for signs of stress hopefully this will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11887

Xxx
Amberino Posted - 18/11/2014 : 13:39:28
Know many people who house them together successfully but dont know if it is worth the risk, anyone here every seen (successfully) a larger and smaller corn housed together? (both of mine are adults just the little guy on the right was a rescue job and was severely underfed). Would like some opinions? If I introduced them out of the tank would they display aggressive behavior to give me a hint or not? Want to know if its possible or not as ideally dont want another viv.
vickisticki Posted - 11/04/2013 : 00:19:16
Blackecho see your picture of corn. Has that got a proper name as that is the type. Of snakes I have. Sorry for change of subject
Paul Posted - 24/02/2013 : 17:33:55
Hi guys another newby here just wanted to say hope ya all having a gd day
hayleyb93 Posted - 06/02/2013 : 17:43:22
Hey i know there is some controversy around this subject but i got rid of my corn to go to uni and am now getting and amel and anery, I havent gotten them yet but am thinking of housing them together. before i get anything im wondering is it better to house both males or both females and also is it better to house them when they are younger as opposed to when they are a few years old. As i said i havent got anything yet and havent completely decided wether i will house together or not but just want to know the best way so if i do, I do it as safely as possible.
Georgina Posted - 19/01/2013 : 19:12:13
It's advisable not to in any may shape or form. People if cohabibg normal cohab girls. He would need to be in a seperate room and viv for a three month quarantine.
kelly x Posted - 19/01/2013 : 16:26:02
Hi, im thinking about housing another male in with my male corn that I have now, they will both be around the same length and size ( 1 1/2 years old), would it be ok to house them together in a 3 1/2 ft viv? I have found another corn that I like so I need advice asap :) thanks. At the moment I have been told conflicting views about them eating eachother, but is this just for when they are babys?
NexivRed Posted - 08/07/2012 : 14:33:26
I'm new to the forum and will be choosing and picking up my new corn snakes in the next couple of weeks. I'm glad I found this thread as it's offered far more insight into the factors of snakes living together and snakes living separately than you would get from a book or a pet store or something.
I have decided that I will not cohabit my snakes. I just don't think I could live with myself if something happened now I know what I know. I would have no-one to blame but myself and would struggle with wishing I could turn back time. What's the point of spending money and investing love and affection into something when you know you're increasing the risk of it leaving you prematurely. And of course it must be horrible for the snakes, both the eater and the eaten.

I definitely think people are doing it for their benefit rather then the snakes' (apart from the stories I've read about the institutionalised snakes), and are perhaps deluding themselves slightly thinking the snakes gain comfort or enjoy being together. Snakes are reptiles and only possess the hind brain, neither the limbic brain not the frontal cortex. Therefore they are incapable of feeling such emotions and it's fruitless to argue they do. It's for that reason that I *personally* could not put myself above my snakes and will be housing all three separately. And I cannot wait to go and pick them up! I'm going to be making their set ups in the next couple of days.
serena_08 Posted - 19/05/2012 : 11:48:58
Well. It is unfortunate that proper advice is not dished out when you buy snakes. I bought Alo and Dawn and asked all questions about having them live together, told it was perfectly fine as they are both female and of similar size. They were 5 and 6 months old. As they were going to be living in a faun together, I could have (and would have) easily bought another faun if I were told that there is a slight risk of cannabalism! For two months they have lived together, eating, pooping, shedding and growing perfectly. At one point there was 7 hides and yet they'd follow each other around and lay together. On occasion they would use seperate hides but not for long! They now live separately as I got paranoid about them being different sexes, (my single boy turned out to be a gravid female surprising me with 9 eggs, yet I had her 4 months alone). Since being separated Alo (usually quite jumpy and shy) is now regularly putting on a display for everyone to see and seems to slowly be relaxing a bit. It just shos that not everything you are told means thats how you should do it, just make a wise informed decision about how to keep them!
connorg96 Posted - 19/04/2012 : 18:12:30
yeah i was given the same advise from the pet shop i got my snakies from, however my snakes (male and female) did have a bit of a fight (straight after feeding) and this caused me to seperate them, however that seems like an age ago and i know so much more about corns now. anyway i was told that they was both males and theyt would be fine together. my male (shortly after was found out to be a female) was 'jittering' and this made me want to get them both sexed. i now have them in seperate tanks and they are now both parents to 18 baby snakies but yeah;
any way a shop can make money they will.
i am glad however that another one of my local shops tells the truth and has never lied about anything to me and has always been spot on [hull pets and gardens] btw
Hanxa Posted - 20/02/2012 : 20:17:21
I got two corn snakes about 5 months ago (they are now 6 months old). I have a friend who has always kept her snakes in pairs without a problem and I have always intended to keep them together. We let them settle for the first fortnight of having them and then put them in a small terrerium which had a divider with air vents to let them get used to each other.
When we had them out, I followed her advice and introduced them together slowly. After a while, we noticed them curled up outside their hides against the divider. We had been taking the divider out for an hour or so a day by this point, watching them carefully.

The pair have been together completely from 2 months old. They have plenty of hides and they don't bully each other. We take them out individually for feeding and leave them in separate containers to settle before returning to the terrerium.
We've found, when we separated them to transport for a health check and more recently, for sexing, they've tried to move into the same container. Dunno why... they don't seem to appreciate separation. According to the reptile folks I take them to they are in brilliant health, growing great and show no signs of stress. They eat well and shed regularly, poop regularly and their poop is good (though smelly >.<)

For the poop issue, we've been lucky. Shadow always goes in one corner while Aspen always goes near the log. I check everywhere else but they don't seem to go anywhere else - so if one has an issue I know who it is :p

She has said, since they are both male, to just watch them closely between a year and a year and a half as things might change, but if they remain amicable, then it should be fine. I only really heard of the risks after getting them, having only seen hers in pairs, and at the moment, we only have the space for one large viv, else I may have reconsidered.

In my defence, everyone I know personally keeps their corns in pairs... Never heard of problems until I hit the internet
sue2012 Posted - 08/02/2012 : 16:18:33
i have 6 corns and i do cohab my girls i dont with my boys but the girls are fine they all eat well shed well and never seam, in any stress they have plenty of hydes and a big enough viv to move around in all are happy being handled they are fed every wed all in dif rubs and are put back togather about 20 mins after the food is al the way down i can see y some are so agenst it but at the end of the day it comes down to choice every one that keeps corns have a right to keep them as they see fit as long as the snake is helthy and well looked after thats what matters this is just my views
Red123 Posted - 08/02/2012 : 09:29:38
There are risks with keeping any animals together in pairs or groups. Some people keep large groups of animals together with no ill affects while others are not so fortunate.
As long as you know what could happen if things go wrong and are prepared to deal with it then give it a go. Not everyone is against co-habiting and some people have real success with it. Just do the research first please and be prepared for all eventualities.
Tamogen Posted - 07/11/2011 : 20:52:14
Yes I agree. If you are going to co-habit you really have to do your homework.
Learn the risks and learn how to spot any signs of trouble within your snakes.
I would say to keep a few spare RUBS, hides and heatmats handy at all times so you can seperate straight away if something were to arouse your suspision of an unhappy co-habitting snake.
gingerpony Posted - 06/11/2011 : 21:13:28
quote:
Originally posted by Tamogen

I think it's a case of using your own experience and common sense.

i totally agree with this...............BUT............
unfortunately inexperienced and ill-advised owners do it and common sense also appears to be a misnomer!
Tamogen Posted - 06/11/2011 : 14:11:47
Yes I do think you are right. Maybe some snake owners are not too aware that a snake not eating is a big sign of stress.
Even with snakes who fast such as pythons, you have to wonder why a snake chooses not to eat.
First thing for me to think about would be if the snake ready to shed. Second would be temps in the cage and general cage upkeep issues and the third thing I would be considering is stress levels.
I would advise to anybody with a snake, especially a corn who normally is a good eating speices would to seperate immediatly if one snake is not eating (when not due to shed)or if a snake is regurging in case of stress levels. An unhappy snake makes for an unhappy owner.
a33272 Posted - 06/11/2011 : 13:13:24
quote:
Originally posted by Tamogen

I have corns and pythons and I co-habit all of them.
I started with corns and was told I could co-habit my hatchlings but would need to keep an eye on them which is what I did. I (So far) have never had any issue with any of my paired up snakes. They all eat and shed well. I know this a hot topic but personally, I think it's a case of using your own experience and common sense. If a snake is paired but is stressed/not eating/regurging then house seperately but if they are fine and one is not bullying the other than just keep a close eye. I have 2 snake breeding friends and they co-habit and I have never heard of personal experience of hatchlings eating eachother but I have never also had personal experience of a hatchling eating istelf either.
Some snakes will be fine when paired, others not so you react to how the snakes themseleves act.
General rule of thumb is...
House snakes of similar size
Never house 2 different snake speices togther
Never house 2 males together
Never house male and female together unless breeding
Always feed outside tank/viv
Always keep close eye for bullying/fighting
Always check for signs of stress in both snakes

this is the bit people dont seam to get they think because they not fighting or paying attention to each other all is well. but dont seam to realise not eating is a sign of a stressed snake. just like in a thread that is running now
Tamogen Posted - 06/11/2011 : 13:04:01
I have corns and pythons and I co-habit all of them.
I started with corns and was told I could co-habit my hatchlings but would need to keep an eye on them which is what I did. I (So far) have never had any issue with any of my paired up snakes. They all eat and shed well. I know this a hot topic but personally, I think it's a case of using your own experience and common sense. If a snake is paired but is stressed/not eating/regurging then house seperately but if they are fine and one is not bullying the other than just keep a close eye. I have 2 snake breeding friends and they co-habit and I have never heard of personal experience of hatchlings eating eachother but I have never also had personal experience of a hatchling eating istelf either.
Some snakes will be fine when paired, others not so you react to how the snakes themseleves act.
General rule of thumb is...
House snakes of similar size
Never house 2 different snake speices togther
Never house 2 males together
Never house male and female together unless breeding
Always feed outside tank/viv
Always keep close eye for bullying/fighting
Always check for signs of stress in both snakes
paulie78 Posted - 15/10/2011 : 22:17:06
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

good call loopy

quote:
Originally posted by madonion

I have been sold 2 four month opposite sex corn snakes and was told that they will be fine in the faun together.

and i know this is a late reply to the above quote but......
madonion, i know you're York-based(ish) as i've met you a Rep Night, this would lead me to believe that maybe Leaping Lizards told you they would be fine? i've heard their sales staff telling other customers that, as an experienced keeper i know it's not right and that's why i don't go to that shop any more, not even for crickets for the geckos.

other reputable shops such as Leeds-based Paws For Thought and T-Pets will ONLY sell snakes to be housed on their own and ONLY if your set-up has a thermostat - their own starter kits are complete starter kits with stats included. these reputable shops, that have knowledgable staff and above all values rather than sales targets, are ones i will drive that bit further to frequent

If only all Reptile shop were like that!! if they were there would be no such need for threads like this basically i think it comes to how much of a risk your willing to take me myself im not a gambler/risk taker so given the fact i have access to such an awesome forum this with a collective experiance of god knows how many years worth of experiance keeping snakes i would be inclined to take theese guys word as gospel
gingerpony Posted - 15/10/2011 : 21:35:15
good call loopy

quote:
Originally posted by madonion

I have been sold 2 four month opposite sex corn snakes and was told that they will be fine in the faun together.

and i know this is a late reply to the above quote but......
madonion, i know you're York-based(ish) as i've met you a Rep Night, this would lead me to believe that maybe Leaping Lizards told you they would be fine? i've heard their sales staff telling other customers that, as an experienced keeper i know it's not right and that's why i don't go to that shop any more, not even for crickets for the geckos.

other reputable shops such as Leeds-based Paws For Thought and T-Pets will ONLY sell snakes to be housed on their own and ONLY if your set-up has a thermostat - their own starter kits are complete starter kits with stats included. these reputable shops, that have knowledgable staff and above all values rather than sales targets, are ones i will drive that bit further to frequent

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000