The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snows and Shedding - A Guide

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Spreebok Posted - 28/07/2011 : 15:52:40
The general consensus for new owners of Snow Corns seems to be that it's nigh on impossible to tell when they're going to shed. As snow owner who consistently correctly predicts when her Snow is going to shed, I thought I'd share my tips when it comes to Lister shedding!

1. The Milky Eyes
This is pretty much the strongest clue you're going to have. It will appear when your snake is due a shed, but this guide will show you the other ways I've found. Try taking your corn into the light, it will make any clouding easier to see. When in full blue, the eyes will most likely be noticeably cloudy without strong light.

2. Lifted Scales
One surefire for me, is about a week before he goes in blue, Listers scales lift up, and the general feel the snake changes. You'll be able to lift the individual tips of the scales without digging or causing any damage. If you stroke the wrong way, the tips will lift up, and they may catch on your clothing. The snake looks feathery. The general outline of the snake changes from a smooth curve to a jagged curve. On the head, the scales around the eyes will look a bit less 'set' than they usually do.

The scales just above the belly scales in particular show this very well. You can see that they are a lot more pronounced than usual.

3. PINK!
Most Snows will also go pinker in certain places. It's not enough to be immediately noticeable, but enough for you to notice. Hotspots for pinkening for Lister as the cheeks, and the vent area. The belly also goes pinker.
(Don't mind my scabby fingers, I sew alot and have scabby sewing fingers haha)

4. Flabby Neck
I notice this on all of my corns before shedding, but Lister gets this in particular. The neck area gets a bit flabby and chunky looking, looks more like a king than a corn haha! ;) Corns necks are usually well shaped with nice, snug skin.
*gentle pinch*

So, I hope this little guide helps! At the end of the day, this is just how I work it with Lister, it may not be true for yours, it may be! If anything, just enjoy the silly pictures of my poor snake, having to endure my manhandling haha! :)

IT IS SO SUNNY! I LIKE IT!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jono2411 Posted - 04/08/2012 : 15:17:13
quote:
Originally posted by garrie

I've been told by the other half that we have to get a house rabbit first

I've heard this excat sentiment before I can get a blue-tongue skink... :P lol
scorpyshake Posted - 03/08/2012 : 18:11:42
This is a great thread, maybe a sticky would be good, esp for new snow owners ? :)
leee123 Posted - 19/07/2012 : 18:16:45
Really good guide, nice one
viraleye Posted - 19/07/2012 : 17:55:00
This is a fantastic read thank you!
Dalymad2 Posted - 19/07/2012 : 16:45:39
Realy useful guide, when my snow had its first shed i was concerned by the rough flaking apperance of the skin as it differed from my other corns , but reading this i have realised everything she did was normal. Thanks
smart bunny Posted - 26/01/2012 : 20:41:12
I definitely think this should be stickied - and the other shedding sticky removed as it has no pics now so is pretty much useless! This is useful for all morphs, not just snows!

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean the written shedding thread by Kelloggs, I meant the picture one by the no-longer-a-member person lol!
Redshift Spec Posted - 25/01/2012 : 23:48:28
That is brilliant! Perhaps sticky for new users? I've not got a snow but I've found it really useful!
Casta Posted - 28/10/2011 : 02:05:09
hmmm. shes got everything she needs. just misted the viv for extra humidity... i'll give her a bath again if it still isn't done.... she had a run through a wet towel earlier.

thanks, i'll keep trying.
Spreebok Posted - 27/10/2011 : 20:55:35
They should not take long to shed, mine only take about 5 minutes to squiggle out their skin.
Casta Posted - 27/10/2011 : 15:30:45
castas had her second in less than 2 weeks (granted she does have a graze on her tail) didn't even notice till i tried to feed her and found the head skin. a question, how long do they usually take to get out of their skins? her head complete with eye caps i found yesterday morning. theres plenty in there that she can rub on but she [prefers to sit under hir damp hide. how long should i leave it before giving her a hand? any ideas? just plain worried coz i'm knew to this.

cheers
Spreebok Posted - 27/10/2011 : 00:42:10
(very late reply haha) But I'm glad this guide has actually help a few of you out with your snows!

(Also, possibly a sneaky bump because this seems to be helpful teehee ;))
tordyjo Posted - 13/10/2011 : 13:30:28
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

I haven't got a snow, but some really good advice

I didn't, but I do now as of 24th sept and its definately excellent advice, i noticed when she went into blue almost immediately
Aegis Posted - 10/08/2011 : 10:34:37
Im still waiting for mine to shed! Hope its today :D Im one impatient mum hee hee!

Agree this should be a sticky tho :D
cornsnake69 Posted - 10/08/2011 : 02:22:19
my snow shed lastnight and i didnt even see it coming...
awlred Posted - 08/08/2011 : 23:35:45
I'd like to bump this for a sticky too!
cornsnake69 Posted - 08/08/2011 : 10:32:34
that is a realy helpful guide.. now i should have a real idea of when my snow is going to shed... i could never realy tell before.. many thanks to Spreebok....
lotabob Posted - 07/08/2011 : 21:58:49
Not just useful for snows, it also perfectly demonstrates the way the scales appear almost loose in the lead up to a shed which actually shows very well on your snow.
Spreebok Posted - 07/08/2011 : 16:10:29
Glad it's been helping! If the mods wanna sticky, they're more than welcome :3
Aegis Posted - 07/08/2011 : 14:13:38
Sorry to bump this back up, might be classed as spamming. But i have to say this was a great guide! Helped me notice the signs for my snow corn. Can it be kept at the top for future reference? Because snow corns are quite hard to tell from what i see :) Thanks again, big help!!
ogri Posted - 30/07/2011 : 22:56:06
Thats a great help as when I got my snow I was handling her one day and she shed the next day. As soon as I read this I took her outside to check her eyes in natural light. It has been 6 weeks since her last shed and her food size has increased so I am thinking it should be due soon.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000