The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 SHEDDING - A PICTURE TUTORIAL

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Invalid User Posted - 22/03/2011 : 08:25:55
Thought this might be a good idea to show you the different stages of shedding.

First sign is her belly going very milky.

4 days later and she is dull all over with blue/cloudy eyes.

3 days later and her eyes have cleared and she looks almost normal again but dull.

2 Days later she shed and looks shiny and new

***moved to Health and stickied by GP***
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Isoldael Posted - 14/03/2013 : 23:04:47
Time to remove this one? :)
Candy Floss Posted - 23/11/2012 : 19:41:13
My daughters corn snake Candy only done a 1/2 shed today so I gave it a bath and it rubbed the rest of its skin off in my hand. Which I had a damp cloth in. Just like to say it's the 1st time we have kept snakes so I will make sure the is a bigger water bowl in the tank so next time it should shed ok by it's slef.
smart bunny Posted - 11/02/2012 : 08:34:07
Couldn't his be unstickied now? Someone else did a much better one (ie one with pics ) on a different part of the forum, can't remember who, might have been Red?
Georgina Posted - 10/02/2012 : 22:19:40
can someone else upload pics?
Falice Posted - 17/01/2012 : 22:10:06
damn really wanted to see the pics lol
smiffy89 Posted - 15/11/2011 : 18:23:22
so whats the point of keeping the thread then ????????
gmac Posted - 18/07/2011 : 09:22:48
the useer has left the site, and removed the photos so they wont be able to be seen.
Sammyjean Posted - 18/07/2011 : 05:31:43
The pictures arent showing for me!
Spindle Posted - 23/05/2011 : 19:52:07
@Louise2778 It is quite freaky the first time you see it. Your snake is a gorge

Hi again guys. Im really sorry to keep posting what might seem like silly questions but I am a first time owner so id rather look a **** on a forum then damage my snake in any way. Her eyes have just gone clear after being blue so I know shes going to shed any day now. The previous owner said shes always been a good shedder and feeder so Im not to worried about her. My question is though:
Is it ok to handle her as soon as she has shed or is it best to leave her aloe for a couple of days? She is a really well tempered snake and when I went to handle her before I kinew she was in the blue she didnt react indifferently.
I just want to say thanks again to everyone who has helped me on this forum, as it has been a godsend at times
Invalid User Posted - 22/05/2011 : 12:07:19
My anery (the one in the pics) is the only one whos eyes actually go blue like that. The others just go cloudy. Looks pretty cool and yes, slightly freaky lol
Spindle Posted - 22/05/2011 : 11:09:00
Thanks mate. Its the first time shes gone into the shedding process since ive had her. The eyes freaked me out a bit when i went to get her out yesterday
Kehhlyr Posted - 21/05/2011 : 20:43:52
I personally just carry on with my feeding schedule as normal.
Although some snakes wont eat if they're in blue, so don't be concerned if it refuses during the shedding period.

If it does refuse, then just count it as a missed feed and wait until the next feeding day.
Spindle Posted - 21/05/2011 : 19:47:48
Hi guys my snake Evas just about to shed. I fed her 1 large mouse on wednesday, is it a good idea to feed them as soon as they've shed?
ptmbradley Posted - 30/04/2011 : 11:41:35
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

I still offer mine a feed if they are due and all but 2 of my snakes feed as normal when in blue. They also handle well and are never agressive but all snakes are different.

I often miss the blue eye stage, infact now with so many snakes I often only know they have been in blue when I open up the RUB and find an empty skin!

Shedding frequency depends on growth, they shed as they grow so younger snakes will shed more often and can be once a month. A few of my older ones are going through growth spurts since moving up a mouse size and are shedding as often as every 3 weeks.

Glad most of yours get through shedding without any PMT Lou.

I think Pandora is best left in peace though because she was so aggressive last night and even started striking at the glass when I came into view. I know a young corn is pretty harmless bitewise, but it's still a scary sight seeing her looking so vicious!

Hopefully her behaviour is just down to shedding and she'll be her normal happy self some time in the next week...

Pete
Invalid User Posted - 30/04/2011 : 11:27:11
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

Thanks for this. I think Pandora must be in shed now. I've not been through it yet so it's a learning curve.

She fed last Sunday but didn't seem all that bothered by it, and she hasn't moved from her warm hide ever since. So I went to get her out today to check on her and she was really aggressive with me. Really aggressive. I got her out eventually and she soon calmed down as they do. Her eyes look normal so I am presuming I missed that phase, and I'm not 100% about dull colouring but I don't think she's as vibrant as normal so quite possibly. And it's her 4th week with me so it must be about due? Anyway, I put her back where I got her from and will leave her in peace for the time being. She's due a feed again on Sunday but I'll just skip a week and see if she sheds in the next few days.

Pete

I still offer mine a feed if they are due and all but 2 of my snakes feed as normal when in blue. They also handle well and are never agressive but all snakes are different.

I often miss the blue eye stage, infact now with so many snakes I often only know they have been in blue when I open up the RUB and find an empty skin!

Shedding frequency depends on growth, they shed as they grow so younger snakes will shed more often and can be once a month. A few of my older ones are going through growth spurts since moving up a mouse size and are shedding as often as every 3 weeks.
ptmbradley Posted - 30/04/2011 : 01:51:46
Thanks for this. I think Pandora must be in shed now. I've not been through it yet so it's a learning curve.

She fed last Sunday but didn't seem all that bothered by it, and she hasn't moved from her warm hide ever since. So I went to get her out today to check on her and she was really aggressive with me. Really aggressive. I got her out eventually and she soon calmed down as they do. Her eyes look normal so I am presuming I missed that phase, and I'm not 100% about dull colouring but I don't think she's as vibrant as normal so quite possibly. And it's her 4th week with me so it must be about due? Anyway, I put her back where I got her from and will leave her in peace for the time being. She's due a feed again on Sunday but I'll just skip a week and see if she sheds in the next few days.

Pete
gingerpony Posted - 21/04/2011 : 21:18:10
staying hidden is perfectly normal behaviour and you're fine to feed or handle as soon as they've shed
kerrypx Posted - 21/04/2011 : 13:30:54
my snakes eyes just turned blue how long after mango has shedded can i handle her again, and since her eyes turned blue she has stayed in the same place (her hut) is this normal as normally mango is active?
Mamma Posted - 29/03/2011 : 13:28:26
excellent. Now I have an idea of what I will be looking at when it comes to Romeo's 1st shed :) Thank you
lee2308 Posted - 24/03/2011 : 08:27:06
good guide,well done

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000