The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 am i wrong not to use a stat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sue2012 Posted - 20/02/2012 : 13:57:55
ok im gessing im about to get a good telling off but y do u need to have a stat i have never used them in my vivs and i never use heat lamps eather ive had my snakes for 6 years going on 7 and have always just used a heat mat i have 2 thermomerters in each viv hot end and cold end and my tempa are always fine never a prob with shedding feeding or anything else as pf yet im not looking for a massive telling of as i know a lot of u swar by them i just want to know y everone is so for using them ty xx
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
danny Posted - 24/02/2012 : 16:18:49
lol she's a staffy but would run a mile if anything!
:) Thanx

Danny
paulie78 Posted - 24/02/2012 : 16:10:25
You could also try moving the water bowl down the warm end lol royals dont get big enough to eat dogs unless its one of those teeny tiny handbag sized dogs then maybe ud have to worry im sure itd be safe though
danny Posted - 24/02/2012 : 16:08:03
Would love a royal, get a wee bit big for my likeing though i could picture roxy (the dog) going missing lol
Yes it is pretty strange its just annoying if anything as the first shed was almost complete i.e the head/eye caps etc then ripped half way followed by the percentage of its tale. Now the second shed has come and its been head/eye caps off then half its body even still a few inches(2-3) are left on there. It had a feed yesterday so shall wait untill tommorow then try and get the bugga off.

Shall give the hide a go next time i reckon and see how it goes :)

All the best
Danny
paulie78 Posted - 24/02/2012 : 15:03:50
quote:
Originally posted by danny

Well mine must be that 1 out of ten then. I no the risk of R infections as its the same with the percentage of reptiles, i only spray once gone blue around the viv as humidity is 30 instead of the normel 50 and 60 when sheding.Due to this the last shed came in 3 still leaving a fraction of its tale so thats why i asked and shall add a moss hide once blue again but thanx for the advise?

Danny

Or your snake could just be a bad shedder and will shed badly no matter what you do some just shed badly i think.
Ive never actually checked the humidity of my corns enclosures as i know they dont require that much unlike my royal whom i actually lost sleep over worrying about getting humidity correct but when he went into blue i added a damp hide and luckily his first shed was absolutely perfect so i was quite chuffed lol
danny Posted - 24/02/2012 : 11:58:17
Well mine must be that 1 out of ten then. I no the risk of R infections as its the same with the percentage of reptiles, i only spray once gone blue around the viv as humidity is 30 instead of the normel 50 and 60 when sheding.Due to this the last shed came in 3 still leaving a fraction of its tale so thats why i asked and shall add a moss hide once blue again but thanx for the advise?

Danny
Sta~ple Posted - 24/02/2012 : 07:20:40
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

Jeez, and to think NO-ONE mentioned a hot chocolate.....

For those of us with a sweet tooth:

OMG *_* With a side of choccy muffin or double chocchip cookie!

heat bulbs can be used for corns but it's kinda cheaper and easier I think to use a mat.

If its a little snake you are going to need to block of any and every hole which it can escape from, that includes the gap in-between vivarium doors.

The only 6ft corns I saw were power fed and/or hybrids. I think a lot of people think their snake is bigger than it actually is, I used to think one of mine was 6ft and I was 1ft off lol

I don't measure mine either and never do anything to help raise t.
oakleyman18 Posted - 24/02/2012 : 07:19:32
Danny, corns don't require high humidity levels, you don't need to even spray the vivs, this would introduce more of a risk of RI's. You dont even need to introduce a moss hide, 9/10 snakes shed just fine without one. Introduce one only if your snake is troubles shedding.
Kehhlyr Posted - 24/02/2012 : 02:16:02
I don't check mine.
Mine are at room humidity, if I think they need a bit more, then I use a part sealed tub.
Usually normal room humidity is fine.
danny Posted - 24/02/2012 : 01:09:20
Now humidity has been mentioned do you guys check yours? mines usually below 50 even when sprayd. I no fauns arent the best for humidity but just wondered what your rough readings are? shall be useing a moss hide when she goes in to blue again =)

Danny
Spreebok Posted - 24/02/2012 : 00:28:52
Waterfall is a sweet idea, but should stay as an idea I'm afraid. The droplets coming off of it will raise the humidity, and too much potential for curious snakeys to work their ways inside and get stuck!
scott1102 Posted - 24/02/2012 : 00:19:45
lol im a bit of a hypocrite. i wish no animals were pets, "keep the wild, wild" :) brilliant motto from the born free foundation. because no matter how well we treat them and love them they are still technically slaves for our own enjoyment.

but here i am owning a dog and a snake lol so i want to make her viv as realistic and pleasing as possible and i thought a little exo terra waterfall would be sweet lol
paulie78 Posted - 24/02/2012 : 00:15:41
Thats really nice scott the average size of a corns probably more like 4-5ft the dont often reach 6ft but it is possible and shouldnt be ruled out i wouldnt move your snake into the viv untill youve got ur stat setup lol @ the waterfall really not a good idea im sure it looked ace though
scott1102 Posted - 24/02/2012 : 00:14:18
very true! well im going shopping at the weekend so ill definatly get one.

I was just wondering if corns where supposed to hide alot? i know they do hide but my little tink hides constantly. its rare to see her out. only time i see her without getting her out is if i walk in to the room her head will be sticking out of the cold hide but the second she sees me her head shoots back in! lol

I thought maybe it was because she didnt feel safe in her small plastic terranium?
Georgina Posted - 24/02/2012 : 00:10:06
I would get a stat asap tho. As your getting one anyway x
Georgina Posted - 24/02/2012 : 00:09:29
Looks good x
scott1102 Posted - 24/02/2012 : 00:05:24
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/vivarium-cabinet-combinations-460/vivexotic-36in-viv-cabinet-tobacco-walnut-61920.html

that one? :)
scott1102 Posted - 24/02/2012 : 00:03:36
i know i should :( my bad.. well more like the shop owners bad! i was brand new to this a year ago, never owned a snake and i was going off everything he told me its only in this thread i learnt of the importance of stats.

So her viv will be the ultimate! :) stat,mat,decoration,safety locks,multiple hides,fake plants the works! lol

i wanted an exo terra waterfall but i got told its not a good idea :(
Georgina Posted - 23/02/2012 : 23:58:43
3ft would be fine, not many grow that big, more like 4-5ft you should (in my opinion) be using a stat already, but once a stat is attached you should be fine to put the mat in the viv.
scott1102 Posted - 23/02/2012 : 23:56:44
i will get one for sure. im planning on buying everything together. from my understanding fully grown corns are roughly 5-6 feet? so that leaves me wondering if a 3ft or a 4ft viv would be better for her when shes big enough
Georgina Posted - 23/02/2012 : 23:46:06
do you have a stat?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000