The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 LX36 Division and Hognose Conversion :D

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Spreebok Posted - 17/05/2012 : 14:30:01
Sooo, I decided to split my LX36 and have a little fiddle about so I could keep two hoggies in there, and this is how it went!

Took the viv apart and cleaned under all the joints and such thoroughly, there wasn't much there but it never hurts! Also glued the heatmats in place as well as the probe and thermometer. I've measuring them both with an infrared thermometer, and both have remained at 30-32c :)

This bit of stiff card (actually from a Glenfidditch whisky tube reinforced with glue, fancy!)is glued in the dip in the vent, so there won't be any squiggling through! The vent was also reversed so it pushes in from the outside, with glue around it so when it pushed in it glued in!

Aaaand, than I forgot to take pictures, so heres the finished product lol!

Half where my little dude is chilling whilst he digests. (Don't mind where it says 'back' on the MDF, the sheet was originally for something else!

Half he'll move into once I've got some nice hides and plants. The log is from the batch of Applewood I sorted out a few months ago!

My fancy glendfidditch plug lol

The divide and shelves are from 18mm MDF. The divide was cut to size, and then the ends of the vertical sides filed down by a few mm to accommodate the bits where you turn them to lock the viv bits in place, as they stick out a tiny bit.
The blue is upholstery foam, glued on to act as a buffer between the backpane and the wood, so no squiggling through. Also stiffens the doors movement, so if the wedge I'll be using falls out, it'll be hard to open for a snake anyway.
It's secured in through brute force and a bit of hotglue, it certainly aint coming out anytime soon.
Shelves were simply cut to size, sharp corners and edges filed, and hotglued in. I didn't think it would work, but I'll be damned if I can pull the bloody things off lol! Good thing about hotglue is, it sticks to the vivriums really well, but also comes out clean with a bit of forceful picking, so if I ever want to re-purpose the viv, it'll be easy peasy!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Spreebok Posted - 17/05/2012 : 19:44:40
Haha, yeah, hog prices are crazy!
Georgina Posted - 17/05/2012 : 18:45:39
I really want a female bino, but I can't warrant 300 on a snake atm x
Spreebok Posted - 17/05/2012 : 18:24:38
Thanks guys! :)
ScalySituation Posted - 17/05/2012 : 18:24:13
looks awesome :)
kev 5 Posted - 17/05/2012 : 18:09:33
looks really good
Spreebok Posted - 17/05/2012 : 18:04:54
Not sure yet, gonna see whats around when I've got more money! Might see if I can grab a nice albino maybe!
Georgina Posted - 17/05/2012 : 16:42:39
Looks good! I use hot glue for everything lol. What type is your second hoggie gonna be?
Spreebok Posted - 17/05/2012 : 16:00:08
Hotglue can be surprisingly good! For the divide it's mostly a case of it's cut so exactly it doesn't actually need anything to hold it in, but the glue was just as a backup.
The shelves, well, it was pretty surprized too lol! But it's works fantastically!

And hotglue is safe to use, because what gets left is actually just plastic, the wax in it evaporates if I remember correctly :)
bigJME Posted - 17/05/2012 : 15:39:36
Never thought to use hotglue instead of using screws, i didnt think it would be strong enough
lupi lou Posted - 17/05/2012 : 14:44:12
looks good, thats handy to know about the hotglue, will have to remeber that when i do 8's big boy viv!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000