The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Tutorial- preparing chick thigh for non-feeders

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 28/01/2012 : 21:08:33
Common sense to some, bizzarre to others, hence this picture thread!!

For some reason, chick thigh seems irresistible to all but the most stubborn and fussy of snakes. It is seemingly a very good way of tempting non-feeders, force-feeders and corns that seem to have gone off their food.

Note- this is the way I prepare it, you do not have to follow this to the letter if you don't want, it's just what I find is easiest and works the best.

So, here you go.

1. First, get your chick. I buy mine in bulk from A&N Frozen Foods for £1.75 per bag of 25 (pretty cheep eh?!). It might be cheaper for some people to source them a few at a time from a local shop. I'm lucky in that 13 of my snakes will happily eat them, so its not OTT to buy so many at a time.

2. I get the leg off whilst the chick is still frozen, that way it snaps off easy peasy. Sometimes make a sound like a cracker being pulled- lots of fun. Aim to pull the leg off by pulling it totally away from the body. This should help get plenty of meat off with the thigh.

3. Get a pair of scissors. I use meat ones because it is easier. Cut the leg above the joint (as shown) and this will leave the thigh.

4. If you are feeding this on its own, then warm the thigh up and jump to step number 9

5. If you are feeding this before a mouse/rat, and you want to scent the prey item with the chick to tempt a fussy feeder, then get yourself a square of tin foil and place the thigh and prey item/s on it.

6. Make a wee parcel with the foil, and leave somewhere warm to defrost. I put mine on the radiator. If you defrost this way, DO NOT FORGET ABOUT IT. It's gross.

7. Once defrosted, remove the skin. It should peel off like a banana. I have found the feathers can put off some nervous snakes, though some will not care. I also leave the bone in mine, but if you are worried, pushing down on the top of the thigh will expose the bone- this can then be cut off.

8. If you are using the thigh to scent prey, then rub the thigh thoroughly over all the prey, especially the head. Do this quickly before it cools down too much- hot is most tempting!

9. Offer the prey item or thigh- if your snake is nervous or shy, I would recommend you leave the thigh/prey in the enclosure for the snake to eat in its own time. Hopefully they should be on it within minutes. Here, a deep in shed Nala has just struck at a scented fuzzy. She is a previous force-feeder of some 5 months.

WARNING! Chick thigh is sticky stuff and substrate WILL stick to it. I don't recommend removing a bad feeder from its enclosure to feed it, so if you are concerned about substrate ingestion then feed off of paper or a dish.

Hope this has been helpful, and best of luck with your fussy feeder!!

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ScalySituation Posted - 12/08/2017 : 16:44:28
Trying this again tonight, some of the babies I produced aren't eating.
Please wish me luck as they are driving me up the wall!!
kev 5 Posted - 22/10/2012 : 20:01:31
worked with one of my hatchlings this year
Jono2411 Posted - 22/10/2012 : 18:40:51
Gonna give this a bump for stickying... great guide
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/10/2012 : 12:06:05
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

Found a snake that will refuse it ;)

Try chick yolk Abzz, I was experimenting the other week and got 2 non-feeders to eat boiled, brained and yolk scented pinkies- both had turned their noses up at live the week before.
QueenVic Posted - 18/10/2012 : 22:51:39
def needs to be a sticky :D
love this idea, will try it on any non feeders i get this coming season.

THANKS!
ScalySituation Posted - 18/10/2012 : 20:20:48
Found a snake that will refuse it ;)
Emmerz Posted - 18/10/2012 : 19:45:35
well done SexyBear, great post!
herriotfan Posted - 18/10/2012 : 18:25:52
Super guide....well done and thanks!
I'm sure one of our mods will sticky this.....
ScalySituation Posted - 18/10/2012 : 17:43:12
trying this tonight, i know you should only offer every 5 days but we're going away on Sunday and I'm worried about leaving her with no food in her tummy

EDIT: A few minutes later, all wrapped up and defrosting, fluff comes off everywhere btw
cobweb251 Posted - 16/04/2012 : 13:29:34
I have been thinking of trying chick thighs for a variety in my snakies diet, and now know exactly what to do. STICKY!-
SexyBear77 Posted - 16/04/2012 : 11:46:51
Yeah, any chance this could be stickied mods? Before it gets lost forever!
kev 5 Posted - 15/04/2012 : 15:53:19
very useful. I've been lucky enough not to have any non feeders yet,but you never know
lupi lou Posted - 15/04/2012 : 13:47:36
a agree definalty should be sticky'd great guide!
darrkang3l Posted - 15/04/2012 : 11:48:25
WOW thanks for the guide! im trying this out tomorrow! STICKY THIS AWESOME GUIDE!
smiffy89 Posted - 29/01/2012 : 10:23:17
my missis looked at me completely gone out when i tried this with our sand boa but it worked she was a non feeder for 4-5 month.
sticky this as illustrations are 1 of best ive seen for quality
a33272 Posted - 29/01/2012 : 09:54:15
i used chicks to scent rats for my JCP for a few months, the scent from the main body feathers was enough for it to work on him. hey Rach try skinning the chick thats fun :D
Vince_the_snake Posted - 29/01/2012 : 08:56:44
really helpful guide, definitely sticky it!
tordyjo Posted - 29/01/2012 : 00:37:38
thankyou for that pick tutorial sexy bear, following on from my previous thread, will definately have to get me some of those chick thighs.

Sticky?? i think it should be
WannaCornSnakeTeen Posted - 28/01/2012 : 21:59:59
definatly sticky it i was loking for something like this everywhere! Thanks
smart bunny Posted - 28/01/2012 : 21:29:49
What a fab guide, with such excellent photos.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000