The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Viv lighting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
boozysuzy Posted - 11/02/2013 : 21:58:28
Just assembled Cornflake's new viv and will be sealing it with aquarium sealant tomorrow. I heat her current viv with a heat mat and will do for the new one. But does she need a light in her viv, not as a heat source but as a light source? If so what kind of light is right?

Thanks

Suzy
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Auld Baldy Posted - 21/02/2013 : 22:22:49
Those will do the trick.
Hissyfit Posted - 21/02/2013 : 18:25:15
That's handy to know....I've got loads of magnets on my fridge
Auld Baldy Posted - 21/02/2013 : 15:15:23
Just draw the shaft of the screwdriver across a magnet a couple of times. That's enough for it to be able to hold a small screw.
If you don't have a 'real' magnet, you will find one in any old loud speaker. Easiest to find is an old car stereo or computer speaker.
Hissyfit Posted - 21/02/2013 : 14:50:22
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

A magnetized screw driver is the answer for small fiddly screws. :D

Ah, never thought of that
Auld Baldy Posted - 21/02/2013 : 14:26:49
A magnetized screw driver is the answer for small fiddly screws. :D
Hissyfit Posted - 21/02/2013 : 13:55:07
quote:

That's why I use a bradawl.

I wouldn't trust any adhesive for the clips. I've had Mirkey swinging like Tarzan on a small loop of the flex and doing a Jungle Jim along the light strip. The clips held ... once I rearranged them and fitted ALL the clips supplied. He managed to bring the lot down with a clatter because I was lazy with the fiddly bit and scimped on the clips.

I use a bradawl for turning stats up and down It would be useful to put holes in for the teeny tiny screws but I had trouble hanging onto the things, and after the cat ran off with the second dropped screw I gave up. You have to give 'No More Nails' a try, guaranteed to keep anything stuck on
harry Cornelius Posted - 21/02/2013 : 13:32:22
Another way to secure or hide the cable is to cover it with a but of trim
Donnie Posted - 20/02/2013 : 19:05:42
quote:
Originally posted by blakey

Do the colour changing led lights from IKEA go from white and then to the colours?

Yes they do. The bottom photo on my last post is the lights on white from what I remember it is just a really bad picture and taken in the day so you don't get the full effect
blakey Posted - 19/02/2013 : 21:47:11
Do the colour changing led lights from IKEA go from white and then to the colours?
blakey Posted - 19/02/2013 : 21:46:30
Auld Baldy Posted - 19/02/2013 : 13:38:34
A bradawl is like a small screw driver but with a sharp point. Ue it to punch through the laminate to locate the position and give the screw something to get started on.
The IKEA Ledbergs (kerching! ) come with 3 x 10" white LED strips which can be plugged together depending on the viv size. Each set comes with plug, transformer and switch. Just fit, plug in and switch on. One set required per viv.

This is how I clip the cables:
Small holes drilled along roof angle.
Pass the tail of a small zip/ cable tie from outside the viv, loop around flex and pass back to outside of viv and zip it shut.
(The photo shows my first idea using 2 zip ties but above method uses singles.)

2 strips used in this viv.

harry Cornelius Posted - 19/02/2013 : 13:14:50
Donnie Posted - 18/02/2013 : 21:04:14
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Bradawl? Looks like when my dad comes down he may have to do it lol. You have to buy the power cables for them as they don't come with it? Cna you buy massive stripes ad cut them to size for multiple tanks?

I am terrible with this stuff and have never seen these lights in my life, well other than dodgy shop windows but I don't stare at the windows to see how they fit the light XD

I use a small drill bit to put a pilot hole in for the screws (use a pencil first to mark where holes are required) which will give you the same results as using a bradawl. They come with a cable and there is 4 light strips each about a foot long and you can put together as many as you need. I used 2 strips in my lx36 but if you want to put some in another viv you need to get another kit for the cable and transformer. This is about the best pic I have of them fitted (ignore spider Sid)

I went for the coloured versions and fitted them in all my vivs and you can run them off the same controller (had to buy another set though for the LED strips as you only get 4) and all the vivs will always be the same colour

harry Cornelius Posted - 18/02/2013 : 18:30:32
ScalySituation Posted - 18/02/2013 : 18:07:14
quote:

It took you lot of hawk-eyes a long time to spot my endorsement reward. Ha-ha-ha!

I noticed ages ago! Just didn't have an appropriate topic to bring it up
Sta~ple Posted - 18/02/2013 : 18:05:05
Bradawl? Looks like when my dad comes down he may have to do it lol. You have to buy the power cables for them as they don't come with it? Cna you buy massive stripes ad cut them to size for multiple tanks?

I am terrible with this stuff and have never seen these lights in my life, well other than dodgy shop windows but I don't stare at the windows to see how they fit the light XD
Auld Baldy Posted - 17/02/2013 : 12:17:38
That's why I use a bradawl.

I wouldn't trust any adhesive for the clips. I've had Mirkey swinging like Tarzan on a small loop of the flex and doing a Jungle Jim along the light strip. The clips held ... once I rearranged them and fitted ALL the clips supplied. He managed to bring the lot down with a clatter because I was lazy with the fiddly bit and scimped on the clips.
Hissyfit Posted - 17/02/2013 : 12:03:12
They are really fiddly, no way was I getting such tiny screws into the wood I just put a little No More Nails on the clips and stuck them on, works really well and no hassle
Auld Baldy Posted - 17/02/2013 : 10:57:19
Small 'U' shaped clips get screwed into the viv and the light strips simply clip in.

It is a wee bit fiddly but if you use a bradawl to mark and start the screw then it is easy enough. I also suggest using small zip/ cable ties to secure the wiring.
Sta~ple Posted - 17/02/2013 : 10:04:06
Can I ask a stupid question, how do these types of lights fit? I may replace my push LEDS at some point :) And I'm guessing when a load of the lights are dead theres no way to replace the bulbs?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000