The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reptile Shows & Meetings
 Reptile Shows/Show Dates
 S.W.A.R.E Newport 2013

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nasicus Posted - 12/03/2013 : 13:38:06
Hey just wondering who is going and who is going to be selling? I might be looking for another Hoggie or maybe an Amel Stripe corn if it comes along :)
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Welshlamb Posted - 26/04/2013 : 07:32:22
quote:
Originally posted by Redware

It was a great event but so busy! But then that is a good thing for us. I went with the possibility of getting my first corn and there were about 5 normals left by the time we got through the queue. We only turned up 10mins after the opening!

Are there plans for more?

Yes it was very busy. Think it could have been controlled a little more to keep crowds down. But it was a really good day out. As far as I'm aware there's none in South Wales, planned.

I think the next is planned for Birmingham, but you'd be better looking on the creaks website.
Redware Posted - 25/04/2013 : 19:59:00
It was a great event but so busy! But then that is a good thing for us. I went with the possibility of getting my first corn and there were about 5 normals left by the time we got through the queue. We only turned up 10mins after the opening!

Are there plans for more?
Welshlamb Posted - 14/04/2013 : 15:44:44
The event was brilliant, have just returned with a new family member. Belle the California king snake.
Razee Posted - 13/04/2013 : 15:31:26
Welshlamb, my husband always says: " There's lies, there's damn lies, and there's statistics" - and it's true, they can be manipulated, misrepresented, etc - as clearly obvious here.

I'm going, even though it will be very hard to resist, if I see any snakes I'd like. There's a link to the new venue in general posts :-)
Welshlamb Posted - 13/04/2013 : 13:00:39
I'm disgusted by this article by the APA. Im one whos feels strong towards protecting animals from cruelty. The only event in South Wales, taken away by uneducated and ill informed non-reptile keepers. So glad that the organizer is pressing forward and not being bullied by big organisations with big statements, with no or little facts to back them up. Claiming that 75% of reps die within the first year, is a load of tosh. I would like to see these statistics, as I believed they are not legit or have been purposefully manipulated, to suit their needs.

It's disrespectful to the mass majority of users on this forum, who's herps are kept in amazing conditions and cared, loved for better/same as any other pet.

Can't wait to attend this event, I hope the 'APA' pull their finger out, before throwing their weight around.

Razee Posted - 08/04/2013 : 09:23:20
Correction - Donnie is right- the new venue ISN'T known, they will be announcing it on Friday, just before the show. I really hope it does go ahead, been looking forward to it for ages.
Razee Posted - 03/04/2013 : 22:58:37
BTW, the new venue is both on the site, and in Reptile mag. ;-)

Well, if what APA is saying is true, we must all be exceptionally good keepers on this forum :-)
And for myself, I don't know anyone with a wild caught snake.

I remember, some time ago, we all had to have anti terrorist training at work. We had someone from anti terrorist police coming up, and during the training, he asked ask us to name some terrorist organizations. After we all came up with the usual - he said, that there are also some " animal rights groups" whose methods could also be considered to fall under terrorism. Hm.
paulie78 Posted - 03/04/2013 : 14:22:11
quote:
Originally posted by Charles

They are the animal protection agency (An NGO) who are opposed to all exotic pets. Their arguments are (I paraphrase)that this trade continues to remove animals from the wild, who are treated badly in transport and sold to people who don't know what they are doing so don't use appropriate husbandry. This leads to loss of biodiversity in the natural habitat, stress, illness and death in the animals and finally imported disease to the country.

I browsed their website to find out more. They have some interesting points to make, I am sure that everyone on this forum thinks the above scenario is a bad one. However, they fall in to the trap of many pressure organizations, that it is an all or nothing approach. I doubt a wild caught corn has been sold in this country for decades. I would suggest what is needed is more education and some form of training scheme for pet shops who wish to sell exotics.

Reading the press release about SWARE there are two facts that raise my interest and I wondered if members who have kept exotics longer had any views. Also I should add that I have never been to a reptile show so cannot talk form personal experience.

1. They claim that 75% of pet reptiles die in their 1st year? I am always wary of unsupported statistics. Does anyone know where this figure comes from?

2. What is the response to the claim that reptile shows should be covered by this? "The selling of pet animals at market stalls, whether by established traders or private individuals, was banned in 1983, as it was felt that animal welfare could not be safeguarded in these temporary environments."

The full press release can be found here. I really don't like its bullying tone. http://www.apa.org.uk/press/201303-Newport.html

I look forward to people's views

Point one comes from the same place as most of the other stuff from the APA ..their rear ends they make stuff up as they go

Point two expos and shows are normally considered private breeders meetings where open trade is allowed im pretty sure thats how they get around it

If the APAS statistic of 75 percent of reptiles dieing in their first year is accurate then i must be the best reptile keeper in the world cause im 2 years in and all mine are thriving
smart bunny Posted - 03/04/2013 : 12:28:57
I doubt a wild caught corn has been sold in this country for decades.

That's what I thought - but was rather disappointed to see this just this morning... http://www.ekmpowershop27.com/ekmps/shops/buriramphur/wild-collected-cornsnakes-1111-c.asp

and also this, which I am assuming to be WC as they don't state otherwise? :( http://www.ekmpowershop27.com/ekmps/shops/buriramphur/indonesian-shipment-march-2013-1153-c.asp

I know they have to be WC to start things off, but surely WC corns are no longer necessary!!!
Charles Posted - 03/04/2013 : 09:19:11
They are the animal protection agency (An NGO) who are opposed to all exotic pets. Their arguments are (I paraphrase)that this trade continues to remove animals from the wild, who are treated badly in transport and sold to people who don't know what they are doing so don't use appropriate husbandry. This leads to loss of biodiversity in the natural habitat, stress, illness and death in the animals and finally imported disease to the country.

I browsed their website to find out more. They have some interesting points to make, I am sure that everyone on this forum thinks the above scenario is a bad one. However, they fall in to the trap of many pressure organizations, that it is an all or nothing approach. I doubt a wild caught corn has been sold in this country for decades. I would suggest what is needed is more education and some form of training scheme for pet shops who wish to sell exotics.

Reading the press release about SWARE there are two facts that raise my interest and I wondered if members who have kept exotics longer had any views. Also I should add that I have never been to a reptile show so cannot talk form personal experience.

1. They claim that 75% of pet reptiles die in their 1st year? I am always wary of unsupported statistics. Does anyone know where this figure comes from?

2. What is the response to the claim that reptile shows should be covered by this? "The selling of pet animals at market stalls, whether by established traders or private individuals, was banned in 1983, as it was felt that animal welfare could not be safeguarded in these temporary environments."

The full press release can be found here. I really don't like its bullying tone. http://www.apa.org.uk/press/201303-Newport.html

I look forward to people's views
tk72 Posted - 03/04/2013 : 08:44:05
Who are the APA and why do they want to stop it?
Razee Posted - 02/04/2013 : 20:31:37
Good, I just hope I'll find out in time, I really want to go.
Donnie Posted - 02/04/2013 : 14:03:20
quote:
Originally posted by Razee

I think the venue has changed, hasn't it?

yes and I don't think they are releasing the new venue address until late to stop the APA or similar groups from trying to stop it again
Razee Posted - 02/04/2013 : 13:48:16
I think the venue has changed, hasn't it?
jenjen23 Posted - 12/03/2013 : 21:32:17
I'm quite tempted to go, definitely can't bring any more snakes home though, my boyfriend would not be impressed! Will there be equipment and stuff as well? Never been to a show before...
Razee Posted - 12/03/2013 : 21:07:22
I'm planning on going ( but hubby is going with me - purely to prevent me from buying several more corn snakes, a royal, a hoggie, crestie and..... ). Hope to see some of you there :-)
Charles Posted - 12/03/2013 : 19:42:06
South Wales

http://www.sware.org.uk/index.html
Donnie Posted - 12/03/2013 : 19:05:11
You need the amel stripe and to call her Kochanski
herriotfan Posted - 12/03/2013 : 16:24:38
Is this Newport, South Wales or Newport, Essex?
Or am I being really stupid and there's more Newports...
Charles Posted - 12/03/2013 : 15:34:46
I might be interested. A bit of a treck from High Wycombe but willing to Car share if anyone is going that way.

I would be interested in a male caramel. However I was really after a Hatchling and I suspect it is too early for them.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000