The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Videos
 Cereus in the sun - Has a head wobble?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AcidicAngel Posted - 19/08/2013 : 13:36:02
I've noticed when I have Cereus out(and sometimes in his viv) in the sun he has a slight head wobble... It's not typical stargazer as he can right himself straight away and he doesn't get "confused" when he stretches upwards which he doesn't do all the time, just when he wants to get somewhere up high. So for example - He doesn't just randomly stretch up and then get "confused" and flip himself over. He stretches up to get somewhere high up and if he does happen to flip over he rights himself straight away.

Can anyone tell me what this head wobble is that he has? It's hard to spot and he only does it once of twice in these videos(mainly at the very start of the videos) but he rocks his head side to side...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C7wEvA7dTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbOQltGJgKs

Can't figure out how to embed so links will have to do...
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AcidicAngel Posted - 20/08/2013 : 09:58:51
I did wonder if it was a way for him to get more smells into his mouth but he does it in his viv, when I'm handling and outside sometimes... He's only started doing it last week. He's never done it before last week which is what worried me.
Welshlamb Posted - 20/08/2013 : 09:08:22
I watched the video again. Just looks like he's doing the serpentine movement. Like Moppet says snakes have stereo smell, so It may well be that she's using her sense of smell as a way of directing herself, which appears to look like her head is wobbling.

Snakes generally have poor vision, but reasonable short vision. So using their forked tongue and flicking it into a specialized organ in the roof of their mouths, is how they smell. They rely on this to target prey and find they way around predators.

Hope this has put your mind to rest. If you do still think its more serious, then please do go get her checked by a herp vet. But from the video I cant see anything sinister or anything that rings alarm bells to me.

Moppet Posted - 19/08/2013 : 18:58:37
I think it's normal, a way of them taking more scents onto their tongue to maybe pinpoint a smell or get a clearer idea of something.
Razee Posted - 19/08/2013 : 18:11:56
That's normal :-) I find mine do it when outside, I think it's something to do with them exploring - almost like they're focusing on something. They have a"stereo" sense of smell, could be that they're trying to pick up scents... Mine also sometimes do it, just before they strike at a mouse, almost like they're taking an aim.
AcidicAngel Posted - 19/08/2013 : 13:45:02
quote:
Originally posted by Welshlamb

I can't notice it.

It's mainly the very, very beginning of the second video. As soon as it starts. As he's moving forward he wobbles his head side to side. He's only recently started doing it though.
Welshlamb Posted - 19/08/2013 : 13:38:54
I can't notice it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000