The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Salt Dough hides

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lee Posted - 15/09/2013 : 22:25:58
Well I decided to make some small hides for my babies. I made some salt dough out of 1 cup plain flour, added 1/2 cup of salt (use volume not weight)and some water. Mix together until you have the dough thoroughly mixed like pastry.
I rolled out a small ball then draped it over an upturned small metal pie case, all uneven. I then used a piece of bog wood to imprint a texture on the hide. You can either bake in the oven or leave to air dry, I baked mine as I was impatient!
Result 3 new hides all different shapes and sizes for less than 30p! The snakes seem to like them, I'll see how they hold up in the vivs and if they get soiled it will be no big deal to throw away and make more.
I'll maybe make some larger 'multi room' hides or tunnels next!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ScalySituation Posted - 08/06/2015 : 11:44:00
I can never get these to work, they always go soft after a couple of weeks, even with loads of varnish
keeney Posted - 05/06/2015 : 22:16:58
just wanted to share my attempted at making a salt dough hide, I've tried to add a photo but not sure if I have done it right !

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/keeney71/library/
scottishbluebird Posted - 08/10/2013 : 21:21:28
quote:
Originally posted by smart bunny

ScottishBlueBird will tell you all about exactly how to make some really impressive salt dough accessories...

*runs, almost falling over as giggling so much*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thats mean, just because my salt dough was a COMPLETE disaster, no need to laugh at me
would i laugh at you? well um er yes i would........
Lee Posted - 08/10/2013 : 20:40:44
If they get soiled I'll just throw them anyway.
AcidicAngel Posted - 08/10/2013 : 20:18:55
Might give this another go now that I know you don't have to varnish them to make them viv safe lol.
Lee Posted - 08/10/2013 : 17:25:00
Here are a few I've made and painted, the large one has 3 separate compartments and 2 tunnels, no bottom so the snake can still be removed if it's being stubborn! For some reason the colours are brighter in the pictures, in the real life world they are more toned down and natural looking.

mjpeters Posted - 06/10/2013 : 23:37:16
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

I was amazed how quick and cheap it was, almost disposable really and great to be able to change the shapes/styles whenever you want. I may get some 'safe' paint to make them more rock looking but they are great as they are.
Forgot to add I just put them in the oven at 200c for 10 mins, have heard you can microwave them for 30 secs or so too.

Great post!
Acrylic paints are o.k. they are great because they are water based,easy to mix into any colour/shade,cheap to get in pretty much anywhere that sells artists stuff (even LIDL/ALDI get them from time to time)and they dry impervious to moisture and inert.
Having said that I wouldn't want to use any paint with scratchy/chewing type beasties
Lee Posted - 06/10/2013 : 21:00:10
They don't have to be too thick, my first ones were spongy but I think I added too much water and not enough salt the first time. It has to be 1 cup of flour to 1/2 cup of salt NOT WEIGHT THOUGH, volume, tried it by weight and that doesn't work either.
After baking they are rock hard and so far holding out well.
adrian.coles Posted - 06/10/2013 : 20:29:48
Mine turned out rubbish. Only because I made them way too thick. Tried to bake them for longer, but even so, they are still spongy. Leaving them to air dry... Might be able to still use them.
Lee Posted - 04/10/2013 : 14:55:26
excellent, I keep meaning to post pics of mine but got no batteries in the camera!
adrian.coles Posted - 03/10/2013 : 20:49:06
OK, just made some basic ones after reading this and getting inspiration.
Will be interesting to see how they turn out...
Lee Posted - 03/10/2013 : 20:27:25
I would say yes as it's edible but the snakes won't eat it anyway!
adrian.coles Posted - 03/10/2013 : 20:22:39
Hi,

Great idea. I'd love to make Phoenix a few more hides so we can give him a bit of variety now and again.

One question though... Could you use food colouring to safely colour the dough?
mark143 Posted - 17/09/2013 : 13:36:23
Sounds interesting and will same some money.
Any photos?
Lee Posted - 17/09/2013 : 10:55:39
yep just keep adding a little at a time until you get the dough right (so it doesn't stick to your hands) then take out the bowl and knead a little on a floured board.
Welshlamb Posted - 17/09/2013 : 09:38:13
Cheer's Lee.
Did you just guess with the water?
Lee Posted - 17/09/2013 : 09:31:30
Make it on top of an upturned ovenproof bowl or similar to stop it collapsing while its being baked.
Lee Posted - 17/09/2013 : 09:30:05
The ratio is always 1 cup of flour to 1/2 cup of salt (volume not weight) then add water slowly until you get a dough like you would for a pie. So if you have 3 cups of flour you need 1 1/2 cups of salt. If it's too wet add a little more flour. I baked for only 10 mins and they were not even brown.
Welshlamb Posted - 17/09/2013 : 09:22:15
They were just soggy and were falling apart, I put them in the oven and then they were burnt lol
In the end I bought some hides.

Whats the ratio for making large hides ?

Cheers
smart bunny Posted - 16/09/2013 : 22:17:12
ScottishBlueBird will tell you all about exactly how to make some really impressive salt dough accessories...

*runs, almost falling over as giggling so much*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000