The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 New Ikea Vivariums

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lee Posted - 26/08/2013 : 23:23:02
Well I went to Ikea and bought;

Billy Bookcase + doors
Hemnes small glass shelves

I bought the track, vents etc from Vivbits on Ebay and some strip wood, plastic right angle and glues etc from B&Q.

It still needs completing with the backgrounds and decor but this is it so far. Total build cost is about £140. There will be 4 vivs 80cm long and two shelves, all the wires will be at the back with the stats on the bottom shelf. I will be making a second set in the next month to go alongside as i will need 8 vivs in total.

I bought the bookcase with doors as I have heard a rumor, now this may or may not be true, it's hard for me to say this and I don't want to upset anyone. Here goes......some people.........don't seem......to like............snakes! There I said it! I know it's shocking right? The doors mean I can close the lot up when such people visit and it just looks like a regular unit. More pics will follow when it's complete with all 4 vivs.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lee Posted - 16/02/2014 : 23:29:48
Cheers, thank you. I will be making another to match one day soon I hope!
LadySybil Posted - 16/02/2014 : 23:15:21
That looks wicked!

You could make and sell them lol
rockroyal Posted - 10/12/2013 : 10:37:39
Wow now that's a good job well done
Sta~ple Posted - 07/12/2013 : 18:13:35
I know this is a bit of a topic revival but that's pretty good if landlords come round and your not ment to have snakes :p
lovebug Posted - 02/11/2013 : 08:52:11
Great thank you :-)
Lee Posted - 01/11/2013 : 15:18:45
They are 6mm from vivbits on ebay, they have the little raised line running through the runner to make it easier for the glass to slide, cut with a Stanley knife.
lovebug Posted - 01/11/2013 : 10:05:20
Yeah good point! Where did you get the runners from for the glass doors? I want to replace the ones I have on my 4ft viv
Lee Posted - 31/10/2013 : 16:40:16
I did think of making some to sell but they are so tall I don't know how I would transport them without an estate or van. They can't be dismantled easily as the shelves etc are all silicone sealed and nailed.
lovebug Posted - 30/10/2013 : 19:06:39
That's great thanks. Will have I try and persuade the partner more..
You ever thought of making these to order? Lol
Lee Posted - 30/10/2013 : 18:15:05
There is a white plastic L shaped strip (B&Q), 14mm deep, glued to the shelf then a narrow wooden strip on top of that to raise the runner height a little, then the runner glued onto that. That's why it's just a white strip at the bottom of each viv, the plastic hides all the other stuff behind it.
When I do another I will raise the runner height just to prevent aspen getting in the track. It's not much of a problem though and I like the way I can see 'floor to ceiling' so it's easy to see all the snakeys and easier to clean. It doesn't seem to bother them not having the deep wood at the front, they still regularly lie along the front.
lovebug Posted - 30/10/2013 : 15:37:49
This is amazing!! I was trying to talk my partner in to attempting something like this.. 1) because my empty tank is too big for my corn ATM (2) so I can get another snake!' Lol I saw a lovely boa at the pet shop!!
Anyway just curious how have you attached the plastic runners for the glass slidey front?
As on a vivarium there's already a piece of wood they slot on too and
In your pic I can see the shelves but nothing else. Thank you
Lee Posted - 27/09/2013 : 21:42:02
thank you, I am pretty pleased with it, some minor changes for the next one but nothing much.
Boomslang Posted - 27/09/2013 : 16:31:24
Looks good :) you've done a fab job on it.
Lee Posted - 19/09/2013 : 13:21:11
cheers me dear!!
ScaryVonHayleystine Posted - 17/09/2013 : 18:50:50
Looking fabulous ^^
Moppet Posted - 17/09/2013 : 15:31:45
It looks great
Lee Posted - 17/09/2013 : 09:46:12
I don't keep the doors on and closed, only if I need the vivs concealing! They live slotted in at the side against the wall, but when they are on as you can see they are semi-transparent so light does get it.
Lee Posted - 17/09/2013 : 09:43:18

Welshlamb Posted - 17/09/2013 : 09:24:35
quote:
Originally posted by Lee

It's not as deep as a normal obviously but there is a wooden strip under the runner to raise it, the whole thing is then hidden by a white plastic right angle. The substrate at the front is not very deep and does fall into the runners if the snakes push it that way, but I just blow it out back into the viv when I close the doors. If I made another I would put the runner on a slightly bigger strip of wood to make it deeper. I prefer the look of it how it is though.

It's a fab looking vivarium
Do the doors work ?
Lee Posted - 15/09/2013 : 17:10:26
It's not as deep as a normal obviously but there is a wooden strip under the runner to raise it, the whole thing is then hidden by a white plastic right angle. The substrate at the front is not very deep and does fall into the runners if the snakes push it that way, but I just blow it out back into the viv when I close the doors. If I made another I would put the runner on a slightly bigger strip of wood to make it deeper. I prefer the look of it how it is though.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000