The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 Making a viv (prototype)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LukeW Posted - 12/11/2013 : 19:21:23
Right I'm going to attempt to make my own viv for my oldest corn, the measurements will be 36"x18"x18" (length, depth, height) I'm basing it on the look of the viv exotics what size glass would I need? The material I plan on using is high quality timber sheets (18mm thick) which I would be varnishing :)

Any input is very welcome :)
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lee Posted - 14/11/2013 : 10:38:23
I've heard that about yacht varnish too and if you decide not to get a new snake you can use the viv as a canoe!
smart bunny Posted - 13/11/2013 : 14:18:45
Yacht varnish is fine I believe - it's what everyone seems to recommend!
LukeW Posted - 13/11/2013 : 12:52:16
Depends on the varnish I suppose weather it gets painted or varnished it would still have plenty time to air out as won't be putting snake in it till after Christmas, that way can seal it all etc :)
Lee Posted - 13/11/2013 : 10:05:14
You would need 6mm runners for the Ikea glass.
Lee Posted - 13/11/2013 : 10:04:25
One of mine is about that size and the glass doors are 26cm x 51cm each. The vivs I made myself use toughened glass shelves from Ikea, you could make the front pieces of wood big enough so you could use those, they are much cheaper than glass from glaziers.
I would think about not using varnish, could it be harmful? what about wax on the outside and thin white board lining the inside for easy cleaning and waterproofing?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000