The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Colin's first feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
michaelcollinson1979 Posted - 23/10/2014 : 07:21:09
Colin had his first feed last night, after waiting the golden 7 days after purchasing him to let him settle in, with no handling of course. It was a succesful feed, woo hoo.
Managed to get in a quick weigh and measure at the same time (50g, and around 20"- is this ok for a 13 month old Corn?).
I took him out of his home and put him in the RUB that the Pet Shop supplied, along with a Kitchen Roll Tube for cover in case he was nervous or a private eater. He struck the food almost straight away, which was great, and within only a few minutes, the mouse was gone. Which led me to thinking about how long he should remain in the RUB before being returned to his home, as I didnt want to stress him out, in case he brought it back up. Thankfully, Colin moved into the Kitchen Roll Tube, so I was able to lift that up (with Colin inside) and placed it in his home, and he went straight to his favourite hide at the warm end.
So, my question is, for furture feeds, how long should Colin be left in the feeding RUB before being returned to his home after feeding? Is there a general rule of thumb for a time length, or does the bump need to have moved to a particular point along his body? Thanks in advance for any advice.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Razee Posted - 23/10/2014 : 18:55:35
Congrats on the first successful feed :-)

I generally wait till the food has settled all the way down to the stomach, and they calm down a bit. The way you did it is ideal - moving him inside a little tube. Or, you can just let him crawl from the feeding box, straight into his Viv. As long as you handle him gently and confidently, and put him straight back in, he's unlikely to bring the food back up.

If he's anything like Seb, you can be running a risk that he will strike at anything that moves, when in feeding mode - so you could possibly get bitten. But many corns are perfectly well behaved, even after feeding, and you'll soon get to know him and what works best with him :-)
scottishbluebird Posted - 23/10/2014 : 17:12:35
Great he ate for you! when Kellogs has finished, i just wait til jaw realined if she still looks in food mode then will put tub up to viv, if she does not look like she is going to eat my hand, just pick her up put right in

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000