The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome
 Introductions
 New Texan Here, First Snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Echo Posted - 24/10/2015 : 04:00:06
Hi forum,

Thanks for having me here, you were the most informative for quick info when I got my snake recently.

I've recently adopted an amelanistic (red albino) corn snake. We're currently assuming she's a female from the way the tail tapers, but haven't had it checked yet (am planning to soon).

I have a couple of new reptile/snake owner questions if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction:

1. One friend who's owned a large lizard for some time told me I should look into the snake's temperature range (mentioned I need to figure out humidity/temperature/basking/etc.). Are there any pointers/guides on this? Currently she's in a case in our 75-80F apartment with half the case in sunlight through parted blinds, and the other half left dark. She has a wood log shelter that she sleeps in, and there's no heating mat in the case. We're looking into getting a heat lamp at next visit to the pet store, but I just wanted to see what I should be looking into for her in particular.

2. I found your feeding guide and it's going to help with that. However, as a person who likes to spoil - I wonder if there are any guides or details on non-mouse/rat/little lizard type food that snakes can have? Found a few varying things online, but would rather some info straight from a better source like here.

3. Regarding personality - she's a very very playful snake compared to the maybe dozen I've handled in my life. Most others would shy away from hands or be difficult to keep contained when wrapped on shoulders/necks. She on the other hand might shy off the hand at first, but once she's out of the case she tends to explore my head/hair/neck/shoulders/arms (to try and sneak down to my warmer laptop)/and even sits on my head in a coil. She's also been sitting still and calm, or wriggling slowly with a heavy thrum, and is not putting up a fight by any means. Instinct is telling me she's very happy and social. She's inquisitive, often sticking her head from a curled position/looking over at me for lengthy periods when she's in her case. Are there any indications/body language/etc. I should be weary of? I'm not sure what sort of short life she had before I took her, but I can't see any signs of mistreatment or reclusive behaviour in her actions so far.

4. Any other basic suggestions/guides you have would be most appreciated.

Overall I'm very happy with her condition and attitude to her new home so far. We seem to be clicking quite well and I'm hoping she'll get even better as time persists.

Thanks all!

17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Echo Posted - 31/10/2015 : 18:03:21
Yeah. She's still all over the case as to where she settles - but I think it's better she's active than just sitting in her log all day and night. I think it's still adjustment more than anything, we're both still getting the swing of things. :)
ScalySituation Posted - 28/10/2015 : 19:28:12
Ah sorry, just seen it says you did get one haha, sorry long day
ScalySituation Posted - 28/10/2015 : 19:27:17
Please look at these threads. A mat without a stat could KILL your snake and maybe start a fire
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22086&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=overheating,mat
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13838
ScalySituation Posted - 28/10/2015 : 19:19:13
You still need a thermostat though please get one.
Echo Posted - 28/10/2015 : 02:37:25
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation
Did you get a thermostat? If not she may be spending a lot of time in the water because she's too hot

Yeah. She's not in the water anyway, I meant she's wrapped around the rock (it's one of those rock shaped dishes). I think she prefers the texture to that of the wood log. But no, she goes back and forth between each side of the case just fine. :)
ScalySituation Posted - 27/10/2015 : 22:34:30
quote:
Originally posted by Echo

Just figured I'd post a little update for those that helped:

Got her a new heat mat and a new water bowl. She's now swapping between ends of the case more frequently, and appears a lot happier. She's also decided to use the water bowl as a place to coil up on, which is quite cute. Took to live food with no hassle, just a short delay, another plus. So overall, quite happy with her additions which makes me happy too!

Did you get a thermostat? If not she may be spending a lot of time in the water because she's too hot
Donnie Posted - 27/10/2015 : 22:15:00
Hello and welcome
Echo Posted - 27/10/2015 : 20:48:05
Just figured I'd post a little update for those that helped:

Got her a new heat mat and a new water bowl. She's now swapping between ends of the case more frequently, and appears a lot happier. She's also decided to use the water bowl as a place to coil up on, which is quite cute. Took to live food with no hassle, just a short delay, another plus. So overall, quite happy with her additions which makes me happy too!
Echo Posted - 25/10/2015 : 03:42:16
The video didn't work for me, unfortunately, but that seems fine enough to me. Planning to go to the local reptile store tomorrow to get her some food as it's been a week at this point, and will investigate some mat/heating options when I'm there.
ScalySituation Posted - 24/10/2015 : 22:30:11
Here's one of my vivs to hopefully give you some inspiration https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo.php?fbid=10204622489422274&id=1236031006&set=a.3678406798871.2135825.1236031006&source=56&ref=bookmarks
ScalySituation Posted - 24/10/2015 : 22:22:58
Until you get her another hideaway I would put the mat under the one she has already got. She needs the heat to digest her food but at the same time will feel slightly vulnerable so she'll want to hide
Echo Posted - 24/10/2015 : 21:43:44
Oh, and have a slightly better picture where she wasn't trying to boop the camera:

Echo Posted - 24/10/2015 : 21:42:10
Thanks for that. I'm gonna discuss the mat/temperature options when I go into the reptile store this week and will work out the best options available for her there. At the moment she only has one place to hide, but I'm likely gonna get her a better "house" and a smaller thing to hide in (there's not a lot of room in the case for two big setups). Would you suggest running a heat mat under her main "housing" area or at the open end of the case (or does it make no real difference)?

As for handling, nearly all of my reptile and snake having/breeding/raising friends have suggested that given her 1-2 year age, and the fact that she's very happy and makes attempts to be handled, that she's fine to handle right away. I initially gave her a good 2-3 days with no major interaction but she got used to me being around almost immediately, which was great.

She was previously fed a mouse once a week, so I'm planning to go with the same. Once she's weighed when I take her in to the store, I'll work out exactly what her diet should be thanks to that little guide I saw on this site.

I'll be looking into the temperature options and little extras within the next few days, but it's good to know what the usual course of action is. Appreciate the quick and easy little help there!

Thanks all.

quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

She's lovely :)
Right, you should get a heat mat AND THERMOSTAT (the thermostat is vital) and a digital thermometer, you can pick them up on ebay pretty cheap. Set the temperature between 80-86. The heat mat should ccover no more than half of the floor of her enclosure
Leave her to settle in (no handling or feeding) for a week
She needs a hide at both ends, branches and plants to climb on as well as a water bowl (not above the heat mat, either in the middle of the enclosure or at the cool end)
going by the picture I would be feeding her a small mouse between 10 and 15g once a week. It is important to not handle her for at least 48 hours or she could regurgitate her food which can make her ill
Think I have all the basics, let me know if you need any more help

scottishbluebird Posted - 24/10/2015 : 14:28:48
Hi and welcome
Razee Posted - 24/10/2015 : 14:27:29
Welcome to the forum :-)

If she's fully grown and big enough ( eats jumbo mice with no problems ), you could always try offering her a day old chick, these are very cheap and the snakes seem to really like them. My biggest corn loved the chick, but had massive problems swallowing the widest part with both thighs, so if I try next time, the whole legs are coming off, and will be fed separately.
ScalySituation Posted - 24/10/2015 : 14:02:04
This is the kind of thermometer you need http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Display-Digital-Temperature-Meter-50-to-110-Gauge-Thermometer-Sensor-/111696022508?hash=item1a019a0bec:g:fTsAAOSwHnFVvzm7 the dial ones are notoriously innacurate
ScalySituation Posted - 24/10/2015 : 14:00:47
She's lovely :)
Right, you should get a heat mat AND THERMOSTAT (the thermostat is vital) and a digital thermometer, you can pick them up on ebay pretty cheap. Set the temperature between 80-86. The heat mat should ccover no more than half of the floor of her enclosure
Leave her to settle in (no handling or feeding) for a week
She needs a hide at both ends, branches and plants to climb on as well as a water bowl (not above the heat mat, either in the middle of the enclosure or at the cool end)
going by the picture I would be feeding her a small mouse between 10 and 15g once a week. It is important to not handle her for at least 48 hours or she could regurgitate her food which can make her ill
Think I have all the basics, let me know if you need any more help

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000