The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 About a Kingsnake, a question of growth?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BeauBoi Posted - 05/11/2015 : 19:16:10
Hi All!

I have recently fallen into a snakes addiction lol. I was browsing the local craigslist (looking for used tanks ) and happened to see an add offering a 18 month old Albino Striped Kingsnake being re-homed for $40. I couldn't resist (she is a really beautiful snake), so I called the young woman and arranged to pick her up.

When I got to the young woman's house, she was really nice and very communicative about the snake (and snakes in general). She and her boyfriend have a dedicated snake room and have 40+ snakes for breeding projects.

She told me that the reason she was letting the female albino king snake (who I named, and shall be hence forth referee to as: Salome) was because she is a "slow growing" snake and that she didn't believe she will ever be of a size suitable for breeding.

Now, to be clear, I have no intention of going into the business of breeding reptiles. However, that doesn't mean I would *never* want my snake to have a clutch.

So...I guess what I am asking, are the following questions (as I have no previous experience with King Snakes, only Corn Snakes):

1) Is the lady I got Salome from correct about her being small for her age? Salome is "21 inches and 55 grams.

2) If Salome does turn out to be on the lower end of the length scale for her species, does that mean she cannot or should not breed?

3) Also, the lady said she had been feeding Salome Reptilinks (ground venison) and before the links she was feeding her one rat pink every 5 days. She said she thinks that the links are more nutrientionally "dense" and gave me a few to bring home with me. When I actually looked at the links, they are are the size of a rat pink SO....Could it be possible she has just been under feeding Salome? Because me little corn snake (Ualome) is only 24 grams and she is eating a fuzzy every 5 days?

4) Finally, if Salome was being underfed, is it too late for her to bounce back? Will her size always be stunted?

If she will always be a small snake, Im ok with that. She is a remarkably beautiful girl. I would just like to know.

Thanks in Advance!
Beau
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BeauBoi Posted - 06/11/2015 : 16:57:01
Thank you! I cannot claim the artistry, however, as I wasn't the one who snapped the photo!

Seriously though, the pic *really* doesn't do her justice, since she just had her first shed with me I was struck by how irressident she is. That is what got me thinking it would be a shame if she never had a clutch...

I will try to get s'more pics today after I get back from the optometrist. I lost my glasses! :-p

If anyone else has *any* experience with this breed, or small/slow growing snake experience, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks!
Beau
scottishbluebird Posted - 06/11/2015 : 15:45:09
That is a cracking pic!!
BeauBoi Posted - 06/11/2015 : 14:45:22
Thank you guys for the responses. As I said before, It isn't mandatory that she breed, but she is one of the prettiest and most socialized snakes I have ever handled (she actually crawls onto my hand when I reach into the viv, which I have NEVER had happen before) and I just think it would be a shame if she *never* had a clutch.

I will also note, that I agree with the above poster regarding feeding whole prey. I think the reptilinks are creepy, and will be putting her on hoppers next meal.

This isn't the best pic focus wise, and she is deep in blue (though it is hard to tell), she shed the day after this pic was taken. Her post shed colors are really vivid and I am going to try and get a better photo of her later.
Razee Posted - 06/11/2015 : 08:23:02
Again, I've never had a king snake so can't help there, but in general, snakes do and can catch up to certain extend. At 18 months, she still hasn't finished growing.

If she were a corn snake, at her weight she should be on 1 mouse hopper, or 2 mouse fuzzies every 6-7 days. If she were mine, I'd probably get her on mice, as these are "complete" food nutritionally, including "roughage" from the fur. You can never be quite sure what exactly is in those reptilinks. Also, the older the mouse, the more calcium it will have in it's bones, so even if rat pink is the same size as mouse hopper, the mouse hopper should have more calcium in it.

Re breeding size - I guess it'd all depend at what size she'd finish growing at. She might reach breeding size, but perhaps later than usual. In nature, even small mature females would breed, if in good condition. Then again, does she need to breed?

Maybe later, if you find she's feeding well, but not growing well, you could have her poop tested for parasites. It's also possible she's tiny, because she was a slow starter, or maybe too much inbreeding... There could be many reasons. I'd see how she does with you :-)

How about posting a picture ? :-)
scottishbluebird Posted - 05/11/2015 : 21:05:09
I dont know much about kings, but if you cant get an answer here, be brave and go to RFUK, it was really bad for horrible people there, but not as bad now, lots of king keepers there!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000