The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Bad Shed...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 06/01/2016 : 14:57:50
My young corn snake had his just had his first shed since I got him.

The first half of the shed came off in one piece and without incident, eye caps included, the second half however stayed attached to his body and only a small amount had flaked away. I gave him a couple of hours to sort himself out but he wasn't having much success so I soaked him in warm water for a few moments and used damp kitchen towel to remove all of the skin. It took me half an hour in total but we got there in the end.

I've never had this problem before. My other snakes always used to shed their skin whole.

This is the first part of the shed...

This is some of the skin what came off in the warm water, you can see how small the pieces were...

And a few of Billy now, like a shiny new pin...

[/URL]
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gaz1974 Posted - 18/01/2016 : 20:50:28
What a lovely amel you have.

All snakes have a bad shed at some time, however next time you see Billy go into shed you could try some liberal spraying ton raise the humidity in his viv.
Razee Posted - 15/01/2016 : 10:07:10
I think amels, in general, get more and more saturated colour as they grow and get older. Normally oranges and yellows take time to develop, so amel hatchlings are mostly clear or pale white with red markings. Billy has got such a lovely deep orange and yellows on him already, so I guess he's going to be a complete dazzler as an adult :-)
Gaz_1989 Posted - 14/01/2016 : 20:59:39
I will definitely offer him a damp hide next time.

And thanks Razee, he is a nice colour. What do you think will happen as he gets older? Colour wise?
Razee Posted - 11/01/2016 : 16:06:22
At least you got it all off now... maybe the next shed will go better :-)

I still can't get over how beautiful Billy is, such a clean and bright orange on such a young hatchling.
ScalySituation Posted - 06/01/2016 : 17:45:13
Aw poor Billy. The next time you see him in shed you can always offer him a hide filled with damp moss or kitchen towel

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000