The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Mad roaming - breeding season's here

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Razee Posted - 25/01/2016 : 11:34:21
At least that's what all my male corns are trying to tell me. All of them had shed, fed and pooped, and are on the move....

Found Twiddler - somehow - hanging off the vent at the back of the viv - considering how heavy and big he is, that's quite an achievement. He had his nose pressed against the vent, too, and Basil ( female ) in the bottom viv, was on the move, too.

Seb is now alternatively trying to dig his way out of the viv, or attacking the vents. I heard the first ever ( this year ) tell tale "bang!!!" as his nose slips when pressing on the vent...grr.

Even the yearling Squidwood is digging like mad, and started leaving sperm plugs around, so it's clear he's an adult ( as far as he's concerned ). I took him out yesterday, and he even twitched several times!

So, I now have 3 males going bonkers and thrashing their vivs . On one hand, it's nice to see them out, on the other, it's sad seeing them so frustrated and desperate. I'm also worried that - especially Seb - they could damage their noses.

The only way I found to stop them is to let Basil crawl into a box and out, and then put the empty box in one of the male's viv. They then spend hours sniffing the box and even go to sleep in it, possibly in the vain hope that the female that was clearly in there before will return.
Seems a bit mean, but it stops ( especially in Seb's case ) the mad headbashing of the vents for a bit...

Anyone has any other advice how to stop them damaging themselves trying to get out?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ScalySituation Posted - 19/02/2016 : 19:40:54
Sheldon is still out 24/7. Hoping when I breed them it will calm him down a bit
gaz1974 Posted - 19/02/2016 : 18:58:11
My female corn has gone ballistic over the last few days. She's all over the viv, climbing on her branches ( that she normally ignores) and dragging bedding into her water bowl!
Razee Posted - 16/02/2016 : 08:06:02
Strangely, both Twiddler and Bazil have stopped roaming completely now for a few weeks ( not that Bazil does much roaming, anyway ).

On the other hand, Seb, who is in our bedroom, is going mental, spends day and night climbing and pulling newspaper from under the bedding and making origami. I have to keep the kitty away from the bedroom, as she tried to attack the Viv by leaping at the glass from bed, when she saw him and heard the rustling.

As a result, I have Seb out of the Viv every day, and he's perfectly happy to sit on me and chill then.
Razee Posted - 29/01/2016 : 18:39:26
I think it varies, it very much depends on size, rather than age of snake. And it's mostly males that go mental in breeding season, as they are trying to look for girls, though I've heard some girls can roam, too.

No point putting Vivec through probing ( he's too old for popping ), if you don't want to breed. If you do, the longer you leave it and the bigger he/ she is,the better. There are other ways to tell - tail length but that's not very reliable. Also, mature males have a slightly different shape of the tail, if you look from underneath, I think there's a drawing comparing tail shapes on Kathy Love website.
Quillruke Posted - 29/01/2016 : 14:21:09
At what rough age do corns start wanting to breed? Is there a noticeable difference in breeding time behaviours between males and females?
Vivec is only just over a year old and unsexed (I don't want to sex him and potentially stress him until I'm certain I want to breed him and have the setup ready for babies, and he is the 3 years and 300g (he is already 3 foot long) in case he is a female), and so far seems uninterested in the thought of finding another snake, but it's bound to happen eventually.
Razee Posted - 27/01/2016 : 12:41:52
Ah, is Sheldon the one you are breeding?
ScalySituation Posted - 25/01/2016 : 19:03:58
Sheldon has not stopped all day. fun times.
scottishbluebird Posted - 25/01/2016 : 17:18:29
Sorry, no other ideas, but i do think what you are doing with the box is a good idea

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000