The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Photos
 Billy's first "proper" meal...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 02/04/2016 : 19:44:19
Well when we got little Billy back in December he was 33g in weight and eating pinkies. He soon progressed to fuzzys and of late has been having 2 x 4-5g fuzzys per sitting. The last 2 feeds they haven't even left a lump and I don't think he was even having to dislocate his jaw to fit them in.

I asked the lady I get my mice off for the next size up which she calls crawlers and they are huge! Compared to the fuzzys anyway.

I weighed the crawler at 8g, Billy is now 80g.

I didn't think he was going to manage it at first and considered taking it off him. I forgot how much these little fellas can fit in though!

Here are the pics. Excuse the quality, I used my phone not my proper camera. Do you think the lump afterwards looks too much? I'm not sure...

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 27/04/2016 : 17:51:37
Awwww what a cutie :)
Razee Posted - 05/04/2016 : 14:00:39
That is indeed a wicked and cunning plan

doesn't work on my hubby, though...
Gaz_1989 Posted - 04/04/2016 : 14:20:23
Thanks Razee. I'm sure he would be fine in a 3 foot Viv, but there is method in my madness. Haha.

If I upgrade him every 12 months, faun, 2 foot, 3 foot, 4 foot, then that leaves me with the smaller vivs for new snakes :-)

Will be easier to pursuade the missus when I've already got the kit sat empty. Haha.

Then eventually get a 4' Vivarium stack :-)
Razee Posted - 04/04/2016 : 08:54:57
I'd go straight for his final vivarium - a 4 foot one. You'll find he will outgrow the 2 foot one within less than a year, and you'll end up having to buy the final one then, anyway. You will then have an empty 2 foot Viv...ah...hmm:-)

Despite of what you will read quite often, corn snakes can be given big vivs once they outgrow the faun or tub, straight away, as long as you give them plenty of cover, and, more importantly, pluck up all the holes where a little snake could get out ( cable access points, and the gap between the glass panes ). These are the same in 2 foot or four foot Viv, anyway. It can save you a bit of money going straight for the final Viv, as you don't end up buying the intermediate one.

Gaz_1989 Posted - 03/04/2016 : 15:19:51
Gaz_1989 Posted - 03/04/2016 : 15:18:31
Thanks for the reply Razee. Most helpful :-)

Just been to the shop and like you said there are some crawlers bigger than the smallest small mice. So he is on small mice, just the really small ones :-)

I've just ordered his 24" Vivarium and 11" x 11" heat mat to upgrade into from his Faunarium. Got him new hides, plant and water bowl too...

Razee Posted - 03/04/2016 : 09:16:00
Gorgeous Billy :-)

The lump definitely doesn't look too big, and on that picture, the mouse hasn't even reached his stomach yet :-) you only look at the bulge once the mouse has reached the stomach :-)

Generally, with growing snakes , you can easily feed a mouse whose thickness is 1-1.5 the thickness of the widest part of the snake, and the crawler ( or hopper ) on the picture looks exactly right for him.

According to the feeding plan I've got, the snake that weighs 41-70 g should be fed 10-12 g of food, which works out either 2 fuzzies or 1 hopper, once a week. Snake that weighs 71-130 g is fed 1 small mouse ( 12-14g ) once a week, etc. I found with mine that I had to delay moving them up, there was no way mine would have managed a small mouse at 71 g, so the best way is to see how much of a bump the mouse leaves, when it settles in the stomach.

No bump, or almost no bump, and also the food being eaten pretty fast, means it's time to move them one size up.

I think it won't be long, couple of feeds maybe, and you'll be moving Billy to small mice. If you are worried about moving up, see if the shop lets you choose the mice. There can be a huge difference within the sizes - I've seen bigger and fatter and heavier pinkies that the smallest of fuzzies, for example. Also, it helps choosing a mouse that froze with it's legs nicely tucked back already, as it makes it much easier to swallow :-)

For now, that hopper looks perfect size for Billy :-)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000