The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Viv reshuffle conundrum

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Razee Posted - 06/05/2016 : 11:38:03
Just wondered what everyone's opinion on this would be - long story warning

Baz and Twid both have 4 foot ND Aquatics vivs, on the landing. Seb and Squid are in the bedroom, and both need bigger vivs ( tbh, so does Twid, he's the biggest and chunkiest ).

After much looking, I bought 2 new VivExotics vivs - they are just under 4 foot, but much wider and taller than the ND aquatics ( I would have gone for the ND's gladly again as they do made to measure lovely vivs, but they only sell to shops and my local shop stop supplying them, nearest supplier being in Wales! )

The Viv exotics have got brilliant front ventilation system, BUT. The edges of ventilation slits cut into the aluminium are razor sharp, and jagged! I run my finger along them, nearly cut myself, and spent hours smoothing them down with a file ( on top rail ) there's no way I was going to let the snakes in, and risk them rubbing their noses on those vents! There are protective clips on the bottom rail, so hopefully those are safe.

My problem is - where to put Sebastian? He gets really hyper in breeding season, much more than the others, will try ANY way to get out of the Viv's, will force his nose into any gap he can find and push or rub. He even opens his mouths and tries his top jaw on the glass edge or runs!

I don't think that even filed down, those ventilation slits would be safe for him, he would be at them like a lightning. I also believe he is more than capable of taking the protective clips of the bottom rail slits, too. I didn't file those...so if he rubs his nose on those, he will really end cut up.

He could go in Twiddie's Viv on landing, which is all nice and safe, BUT: Seb is really sociable, and whenever I'm in the bedroom, he loves to just watch me or tries to get me to let him out, he really seems to enjoy human company. He will be bored to death on the landing, plus Baz would be just under him, and he's already totally mad in breeding season with her in different room...

On the other hand, Seb also bangs things at night and keeps falling off the ceiling or doing newspaper origami and generally causing a racket, so it's a pain having him in the bedroom - another point for him going onto landing above Baz.

I'm not moving Baz, her Viv and location really suits her, so the only way seems to have Twiddie and Squidwood, both nice and calm, in the new vivs in bedroom, and naughty Viv bashing Seb in a safe Viv on landing, above Baz. I just hope poor Seb won't turn sour with the boredom of landing, and the maddening close proximity of Baz who he can't get to...

P.s.
There's no chance hubby will let me put Seb's Viv in the living room ( which Seb would love ) , hubby says people already don't come over to visit cause we have the snakes...

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 26/06/2016 : 10:09:23
Nah :p it's not like your trashing them :) the new vivs do look lovely. Maybe mail them, see what they can do. I'm not really sure what to suggest as all my Viv exotic vivs are old and have the circular vent design :(

If you have the vivs with ventilation in the runners I dont it will be much of a problem. I rarely see mine do anything with them, its always the edge of the glass that they seem to scuff their nose on!
Razee Posted - 06/05/2016 : 14:26:51
P.s. Hope this doesn't come under "naming and shaming" lol, certainly wasn't meant to be that . If it does, can the mods pls remove the company name...
Razee Posted - 06/05/2016 : 13:48:32
Said it already before... Didn't work...

I've taken some pics of the vent slits, I've already filed the inside ones ( lucky I had a super thin file ) but not the ones on the outside, so we can compare. I'll have to wait to post them, as hubby has to get them off my phone, on his computer and then l'll have to battle with Photobucket, but should be able to do that over weekend.

I might e mail the pics to Viv exotic, just to point out the possible problems. I really like the idea of good ventilation, and I like the protective clips on the bottom rail vent slits, which will also stop any bedding clogging them up. I tried to fit one of the clips on the top rail ( thinking that if they did fit, l'd ask the manufacturer to send me clips for the top vents, too ) , but they wouldn't fit, as the slits are too close to the top.

I also like the fact that the new plastic back vents have cable access, so I think these will be really good vivs, it's just the sharp/ jagged edges of the front vents that let it down.

I guess bigger snakes would be ok, as they might not be able to get their nose close enough to the top rail slits, but bet you corns could do it, and most definitely Sebastian could.
a33272 Posted - 06/05/2016 : 12:28:41
Hi ya. first tell him to shut up about people not visiting load of rubbish, if they wanted to visit they would regardless, ive never had anyone of my friends not visit because of my snakes mine are right infront of you as you walk in my sitting room haha.

Do you have a pic of these vents?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000