The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptile Photos
 Adorable Floof!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AcidicAngel Posted - 12/05/2016 : 19:12:15
Well we walked into the living room in the morning on the 9th May, only to find our two "male" chinchillas had become parents.

It is now very clear that Shadow, who was bought as a male in April 2015, is a female.
Since chinchillas can become pregnant again even a few days before giving birth to litter #1, it's very possible she is pregnant again as obviously we didn't know until we saw the babies. Nibbler, the father, is currently still living with Shadow and the kits but we have a cage on order for him. Hopefully that will turn up soon so he can be separated. Luckily he's being a caring father so far and helping out.

She has had two little girls, now named Smoky & Kali
I suppose it's a good thing I'd been reading about breeding chinchillas as I had planned to look into it properly in future, when we have more room and everything and I can get some pedigreed chins. So I know what to look out for, etc. in the mother and kits.

Anyway, adorable floof photos!
Smoky- The larger of the two, Standard Grey.

Kali- The smaller of the two, we're thinking she's a Black Velvet like her mum but that's still under debate.

The two together this morning, the above photo's were taken yesterday.

Nibbler- Standard Grey dad, 5-6 years old.

(Photo just after a dust bath but it's the best one I have!)

Shadow- Black Velvet mum, approx. 2 years old.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AcidicAngel Posted - 13/05/2016 : 20:57:21
SBB: It's unbelievable lol. So soft!

Scaly: They are born pretty much ready to take on the world. They have both already experimented with their parents food as they are born with their teeth and everything
ScalySituation Posted - 13/05/2016 : 20:09:52
Oh my goodness! Soooo cute. Looks like they are born pretty well advanced
scottishbluebird Posted - 13/05/2016 : 15:57:55
I can just imagine how soft they are *heart melts*
AcidicAngel Posted - 13/05/2016 : 11:54:48
SBB: That's what I keep saying. I keep trying to tell myself that this is not good, it's bad but my brain won't accept it... I get to cuddle with them every morning when weighing them and checking them over so how can I tell myself it's bad?!

Razee: They are, they are sooooo soft too! Much softer than their parents lol.
I do feel really bad. I said to a friend that if they were seasonal breeders and only had one litter I year I'd be happy to leave them living together as one litter a year(max. four kits) would be fine. Shadow would have time to recover and everything. Sadly they would just breed and breed and it wouldn't be fair on Shadow. Got to think of her before anything as the next litter could be a struggle. Raising two kits while carrying another 1-4...

Have some updated weighing photo's from this morning
I was worrying a little about Kali's weight gain as she didn't seem to be feeding as well as Smoky, but this morning she had gained 3g over the course of yesterday and last night so that's a good sign. Smoky has gained 2g.

Smoky:

Kali:

Razee Posted - 13/05/2016 : 07:41:27
Gorgeous, even if unexpected :-) what a lovely surprise. I knew if it was me, I'd hate to separate the father ( even if it's the right thing to do ) , as he's been so good withe them.
scottishbluebird Posted - 12/05/2016 : 22:10:53
OMG!!! what a FAB surprise!!! soooooooo cute!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000