The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Young snakes escaping from RUBs...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 11/03/2017 : 23:04:46
Hey folks,

I'm new to RUBs. Kept corn snakes for a good while but always used faunariums for youngsters then upgraded to Vivs.

I've recently got a Brazilian Rainbow Boa and the general consensus was that a faunarium wouldn't retain the humidity like a RUB. So my research into RUBs began. I came across a few posts on the internet about hatchlings escaping from RUBs by managing to squeeze through the small gap in the lid. More so on the larger RUBs but I could get my little finger through the gap on a 12L RUB, with some force granted but even so I figured that it was a possibility, even if only a slim one.

Some people suggested cardboard around the edges, but with the humidity in my setup it would need changing almost daily as it would go soggy.

I looked into making my own rubber seal from thin rubber, and in my search for some suitable material I came across this...

It is a thin rubber anti-slip matting. It is sold in 1m rolls in places like home bargains for 79 pence. I have only cut this one quickly to try it out but there is enough to do a 9L RUB and 2 x 12L RUBs.

The lid now fits really snug, no gap and ventilation is maintained...

]

I will trim it neatly tomorrow so it is a bit easier on the eye. Hope this helps someone out at some point.

Cheers,

Gaz

1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Razee Posted - 16/04/2017 : 16:24:21
Nice one, and it still allows for some air exchange :-) Nice cottages, but the way.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000