The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 snake surgery

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gmac Posted - 01/08/2017 : 21:00:35
This is not my snake but a very good friend and an ex member of this group.v

Tof is around 10 years old, no previous problems until now. I'll try and keep this as brief as possible but... haha. She seemed chipper in herself, eating , pooping, drinking and shedding fine, but she had regurgitated a clear liquid after being handled once, her mouth was fine though and no wheezing (thought it was a RI) so I put it down to handling too son after she had a drink of water especially because she went straight for water when I popped her back. Fast forward a little while, still okay but seemed to lose some muscle mass and threw this liquid up again, so vet trip it was. Vet said she was in great condition, mouth was perfect and no wheezing, so just keep an eye on her and carrying out doing what I was doing and keep her updated if anything changed. 7ish days later, a little bump appeared in her belly, it wasn't hard, but the scales were separated and I didn't like the look of it, back to vets, CT scan and boom, pre-ovulatory follicular stasis and salpingitis, so a spay it was! She was a little more timid than usual, but still eating, drinking, shedding and pooping fine, but my instinct was bang on. Apparently this can be common in female corns aged between 8 and 12 but it's not known what causes it. Just thought it would be beneficial to post of here to show people. always trust you instinct guys, If i hadn't and left it longer she probably wouldn't have been with us.

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kez Posted - 13/08/2017 : 12:15:15
Thanks gmac, that's very much appreciated :-)
gmac Posted - 12/08/2017 : 19:08:35
@ razee. A response from my wee bristolian cuddly care bear (tofs mammy).

So long as you know your snake you will
notice right away if something is wrong.
gmac Posted - 12/08/2017 : 18:32:27
@kez response I have been given from the bristolian hugger. Tof has never laid any eggs.
Kez Posted - 08/08/2017 : 15:39:44
Thanks Gmac :-)
ScalySituation Posted - 08/08/2017 : 14:04:14
Keep trying to read this as my girls slug out but my brain keeps dying!!
Razee Posted - 08/08/2017 : 11:57:04
See, that is one of my worries, that this will happen to Bazil. I wonder if the fact that she has never laid eggs ( fertile or infertile ) could mean that she might have problems in future...

In nature, females would be mating and laying eggs, so would naturally go through the whole process. In captivity, she is well fed and in prime condition to breed, but never does...but l bet she still ovulates.....year after year. What if she repeatedly fails to re absorb at least some of her undeveloped eggs? Would it be healthier for her to mate her, at least every other year? Maybe it happens to older snakes, as they have gone through so many cycles in their lives without regularly laying, and the problem builds up?

From what l read, pre ovulatory follicular stasis develops when something interrupts the normal development of eggs. It said it could be husbandary issues ( too low temperature for example,, overfeeding or undernourishment ..). I wonder that if the snake lays infertile eggs, if it is less prone to the stasis ( as it has alteady proven it can do the whole process of developing and laying eggs )? Just a thought...

I worry I wouldn't recognise the problem in Bazil until it would be too late, as she is so inactive and grumpy all the time, anyway. I feel her belly regularly in egg laying season in case l can feel infertile eggs, but nothing so far... she went mental for about a month in June, roaming madly which is unusual for her ( she is settled again now ), l wondered if she was about to lay slugs- but nothing. She always eats well, but often takes a long time to poop after feeding....hmm.

gmac Posted - 07/08/2017 : 21:16:32
quote:
Originally posted by Kez

Wow, thanks for the information gmac, very useful to know.

I realise it's not your snake, but do you know if she had ever laid eggs despite having never been with a male? Mine has for the past four years and this year she has double clutched. It would just be handy to know, for the future.

Thanks again, I'm glad the snake in question is ok. Goes to show how important it is that you get to know your animals and if you have any concerns, to get them checked out by a professional.

Im ashamed to say i dont know i shall ask and get back to you
Kez Posted - 01/08/2017 : 21:17:40
Wow, thanks for the information gmac, very useful to know.

I realise it's not your snake, but do you know if she had ever laid eggs despite having never been with a male? Mine has for the past four years and this year she has double clutched. It would just be handy to know, for the future.

Thanks again, I'm glad the snake in question is ok. Goes to show how important it is that you get to know your animals and if you have any concerns, to get them checked out by a professional.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000