The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Twiddie and Bazilishka

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Razee Posted - 20/03/2018 : 09:43:38
Well, l have done it now...finally decided to breed Twiddie and Baz - for many reasons. Still, I'm aware it can be very difficult to find homes for corn snake hatchlings, so l will only be incubating a few eggs, and freeze the rest of them. Sounds horrible, but it's a compromise that allows me ( and the 2 snakes ) to breed without producing too many hatchies...

Anyway...they've done the deed ( 24th of Feb ) and l took lots of pics ! ( how do you post the pics now, with Photobucket being rubbish ? )

I have really prepared for this and set up a mating RUB for them - just empty 50 Lt one with an empty corn flakes box in case wanted some privacy, lol.

I added Baz's freshly shed skin ( first shed after winter ), then Twiddie, who was immediately glued to the skin...then added Baz, still in her favourite cave that she refused to leave.

Dopey Twiddie didn't even realise Baz was in there, he was so obsessed with sniffing the shed, so l lifted his front bit and showed him Baz. He was really interested, but Baz was not, gave him a coil shove a refused to leave the cave...so l put them back in their vivs.

Some days later l noticed Baz's colour has really brightened, and she was looking out of her cave all the time...so l introduced them again, in the same way, and...OMG they were more or less straight at it!! I was shocked , especially at Baz's behaviour, complete turnabout- she was really encouraging him! I was fully prepared for a full on chase etc. - but no! And she even let me take pictures ( l wasn't going to, in case it disturbed them, but they really didn't give a monkey, normally shy Bazil posing happily, completely at ease! )

Twiddie went blue the next day, and by the time he'd shed, l'd fed Baz, so they only mated that once, l hope it's enough... so, l'll be making poly box incubator this week

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Razee Posted - 31/03/2018 : 10:12:15
So - l'm all set up :-) l was sent a replacement vermiculite, and sent off the thermostat for repair. As l don't know how long it will take, l bought Evo lite - and it works brilliant!

I just wish Baz would hurry up ... we are on day 35 after mating. She's been sitting in her hot hide for over a week, looking dark but not going blue...she's not eating and, as far as l know, not drinking ( no marks in bedding that would show he's left the hide.

Worried about her not drinking a bit now, so l offered her the water bowl right in front of her hide - but she looked really angry and refused it. So l left the bowl nearer than normal. Don't want to stress her, but worried she'll get dehydrated :-/
Razee Posted - 27/03/2018 : 15:25:13
Oh! It starred out the word that meant rough! I can see why, LOL !
Razee Posted - 27/03/2018 : 15:23:39
Aaaargh! And they sent me fine vermiculite instead of co****! See- stress already- no snakes or eggs even involved yet!
Razee Posted - 27/03/2018 : 11:35:11
Ha - my struggles at the moment are with a thermostat! I ordered a pulse Habistat online from a well known retailer, as it was on offer and a real bargain ( and my belated birthday present ) .. l've built the incubator, but now the thermostat has developed an intermittent fault- it works ok for a while, then doesn't and stops working, then does...

Am sending it back, but 1) l've been told that if it they find it doesn't have a fault, l will have to pay for the transport and 2) in the meantime, l have no thermostat and Baz is starting to go blue- so as l can't wait if the repaired/ replacement thermostat comes in time, l will now have to buy another one from a shop...this is getting expensive.,. I kind of wish l'd bought one from the shop in the first place, as l'd have been given a replacement here and then :-/
ScalySituation Posted - 26/03/2018 : 21:21:54
You're in for a treat. Breeding is one hell of an experience :D
Be prepared for struggles though, one of mine that hatched last year is 9 months old and has never taken a feed on her own.
Her brother is finally getting going though so hopefully we'll just have the one left soon.
Razee Posted - 24/03/2018 : 15:30:15
Bazilishka has completely refused the mouse, wouldn't even look at it. I left the mouse in with her, but still nothing, not even a sniff... and she does look more chubby! :-o :-)
Razee Posted - 24/03/2018 : 10:47:41
Scaly, did you end up keeping any of your hatchlings?
Razee Posted - 24/03/2018 : 10:46:55
Thank you... l just hope Baz will be ok, and that l'll be able to sell the hatchies ( though l've got a horrible suspicion l will find that bit the hardest and won't want to let them go... )

I think Bazilishka is on the verge of going blue, she's very caramel looking. She's been eating very well till now ( 4 weeks since she's mated exactly ); she's due a feed today, and l wonder if she will have it, or not.
ScalySituation Posted - 23/03/2018 : 13:39:05
Best of luck!
Maggie and Sheldon locked twice last year but I expect once will be plenty :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000