The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 How long was your corn pregnant?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Razee Posted - 31/03/2018 : 10:21:44
Ok, l did my research ( several times, in fact ) but one think still confuses me - how long are corns actually pregnant? According to Kathy Love ( very experienced breeder and my corn snake bible ) they lay anything from 31-45 days after mating, averaging at 39 days...Baz is on day 35 and not even blue!

Other sources say corn snake lay after 2 months- that's 61 days, not 39! I suppose it depends when the female actually ovulated, not on the mating....

The longer it's taking, the more l worry something could be wrong...:-0
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Razee Posted - 11/04/2018 : 19:04:49
OMG, she's laying! Right now!

As it's day 10 after shed, and after the weird behaviour/ look this morning, l decided to check on her in the evening, too - and could see an egg through the botom of the lay box - the egg is massive! There may have been a couple more, but l didn't want to open the box and disturb her - pretty sure she hasn't finished.

When do l take the eggs? I know it needs to be asap, especially as l have to separate some ( will not be incubating all of them ) - but mustn't disturb her as she lays?

I plan to leave it till morning?
Razee Posted - 11/04/2018 : 09:18:51
Nope - scrap that - she seems fatter again... really restless now. Still out of lay box, at the back of the viv, saw her "squeezing " her sides... not in the breathing way. Maybe that poop she did this morning means the eggs are on the way! :-0 Day 46 after mating, day 10 after shed.
Razee Posted - 11/04/2018 : 08:29:15
Now l'm really confused. Baz is out of the lay box this morning, looking quite tent shaped but seems slimmer? I took the opportunity to check the lay box - no eggs. She pooped overnight in her hot hide ( l checked that as well in case she'd laid there ) - just urates as she hasn't eaten for several weeks. No eggs anywhere but she does look slimmer - could she have eaten them? Surely there would be a bulge on her stomach... if they were infertile, she could reabsorb - but not that quickly? What on earth is going on?
ScalySituation Posted - 10/04/2018 : 12:51:37
As long as the box stays moist she should be ok
Razee Posted - 10/04/2018 : 12:39:00
Aaaand she's out again, on top of box right under the light, basking...and she is massive, looks ready to burst :-0
Razee Posted - 10/04/2018 : 10:18:30
Trouble is, the care sheets differ, anyway...

Day 45 after mating, and 9th day after shed ( she shed overnight from 1st - 2nd ). Last 2 days she hasn't been roaming, she's settled in the lay box and has cleared an area for the eggs... however, last 2 days when l checked the lay box ( every morning, and l only check visually from underneath ), she would come out afterwards and roam for about 1/2 hour... l hate disturbing her, but have to check if she's laid or if the moss has' dried out...

Anyway, this morning was the same- she's sat in her nest area that she's cleared in the lay box - but today she hasn't reacted when l checked on her, and hasn't left the box when l finished the check ( still got an angry glare though ) - so l think she may be getting close to actually laying ! :-0
ScalySituation Posted - 09/04/2018 : 13:32:31
Think Maggie's pregnancy was far from textbook as well. Can't remember exactly but she'd not read the care sheets at all!
Razee Posted - 05/04/2018 : 08:23:35
Day 40 after mating...Bazilishka is in and out of her lay box, and seems to be " tent shaped " . No sign of any retained tail tip, so hopefully, it had fallen off when she spends time in her lay box... can't wait! :-)
Razee Posted - 02/04/2018 : 19:38:23
She's shed! I don't believe it, I was checking her every day, she was darki- ish, but her eyes never went blue... in her normal shed cycle, she goes completely anery dark and zombie eyed for days! To make it worse, she's retained the very tip of her tail shed ( only 2-3 mm ), but refused to come out of her cave. I didn't want to force her ( she can use her full strength to press herself against sides and l'd have to prize her off ) , as worried about damaging the eggs and stressing her.

So, she's been given her lay box with plenty of moss, and she's gone straight in there, so will hopefully rub the tail tip off. She's put on 70 g in last 3-4 weeks! Day 37 after mating...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000