The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Bazilishka update...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Razee Posted - 13/04/2018 : 09:07:18
Update: still not done

Checked yesterday afternoon - and the eggs were starting to dent and dry, despite tons of moss and condensation in the box! It was obvious the eggs wouldn't last much longer, so l had to take them out ( got a coil shove and a hiss from Bazilishka)

I had a job separating the ones l wanted to incubate - 2 already had veins, so older than 24 h ! I chose those and some others to incubate, and froze the rest to be responsible, but it was much harder than l thought ( l cried ). She had 24 good eggs and 1 possible slug.

Baz still had 2 eggs in her, not sure if the same ones that l saw in the morning, so l returned her ( in the lay box ) in the Viv.

I then went down to the vets for advice, but my reptile vet was off. The very kind receptionist rung him, he said to leave her alone till this morning, that she may just be tired. If she doesn't pass them by then , to bring her in ( but to another town and non reptile vet acting on my vets advice ) for calcium injection and x ray.

Well, this morning, she has passed one egg ( which l froze and it was even harder to do than before as it was a big, good looking one that she was cuddling to her ), but she still has one in her, about 2 cm from the vent - and she's going blue already!

I went by gut instinct and gave her a lukewarm bath, and she drunk for about 5 mins! She must have been really dehydrated...then l put her back in the lay box and in warm end of the Viv...now l wait again, but will be ringing the vets...
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scottishbluebird Posted - 07/08/2018 : 14:49:54
That is brilliant!!
Razee Posted - 25/07/2018 : 19:59:17
Another Baz update...

She's had her stitches out at the end of June( most of them, but some were very imbedded, so had to stay ), and today, she has shed - and with the shed, off came the rest of the stitches ( bar one ), all the scabs, and all the old shed that couldn't be removed before - the operation site looks fantastic, clean, and she is almost as good as new :-)

She has managed the get the shed off all by herself and cleanly, no probs over the operation site. She now weighs 478 g ( she was 350 or 320 g at her lowest after the second lot of eggs ), so is gaining weight nicely. She's also had her first full size meal ( as until now l've been nursing her with multiple small meals ), so l hope she'll digest that ok.

Best of all, Bazilishka's character has completely changed - for better! She is really friendly now, much calmer when handled and often pops her head out of the hide when she sees me and stays out, watching me all the while l'm near ( probably hoping l have a mouse for her though ). Total opposite from before, when she used to nip in her hide at the first sight of humans :-)
scottishbluebird Posted - 14/06/2018 : 17:12:51
FINALLY she seems to be better!!! BRILLIANT!! poor girl, weird thinking how great it is a snake has pooped, but i am well chuffed lol
Razee Posted - 13/06/2018 : 16:10:30
So, l'm cautiously optimistic ( touching wood as l type ) - Bazilishka has pooped this morning ( by herself, first poop after the operation! ) and also fed, striking madly at every fluff/ hopper. She feels much stronger, too.

I walked pass her viv with Twiddie on my arm, taking him outside for some exercise- and she came straight out of her cave, looking at him very keenly:-0! NO CHANCE, Baz! I'm NOT going through this again...little monkey!

scottishbluebird Posted - 08/06/2018 : 22:35:51
wow, fingers majorly crossed this is the end of it all and she heals well xx
Razee Posted - 08/06/2018 : 18:06:24
Ok, we've been to the vets - and the lady vet managed to massage the egg out ( with lots of lubrication ) - what a relief for both of us! My nerves are so blown with all this that l nearly went weak at the knees when the egg was out - such a massive relief... Also had the operation site checked, there's one tiny bit on it that is a bit open ( but dry ), where Baz managed to mess it up during the shed - but should be ok as still on antibiotics.

Best of all, Baz has eaten for me again last night - she's had 2 big fluffs and a hopper ( 19 g together, not much but she has to start slowly, and small for ease of digestion, just feeding more often ), she even constricted the mice, and felt much stronger when l held her at the vets :-). She also seems quite perky again. I just hope she continues to get better, and no more eggs now!
ScalySituation Posted - 06/06/2018 : 20:18:33
Oh for goodness' sake!
Poor baby
scottishbluebird Posted - 06/06/2018 : 15:57:44
Oh no, poor poor girl, and your nerves will be shot to bits too
Razee Posted - 06/06/2018 : 08:59:18
Nooooo! It's all going wrong again, l can't believe it....SBB, you may need to send Lyla down with those healing kisses... SHE STILL HAS EGGS!

So, late last night, Baz started shedding. Decided to leave her to it and just kept checking. After almost an hour it was clear she couldn't get pass the operation site, so l got her out to help her - and there was a slug egg - freshly laid. And she has another near her vent.

She is a real monkey and can tighten the belly muscles in such a way, you can't see or feel the egg, it's when she relaxes that you see and feel it. She fooled both me and the vet ( and the x Ray! )she can make her belly so concave and sucked in, she looks like she has no organs, let alone eggs....

So, now she has a stuck shed on the scar ( under which it can stay moist and bacteria can breed... ) which l can't get off, as it's all folded on itself and into the wound. She has a stuck egg ( at least one )and hasn't pooped.

The only positive is that she actually weighs more than l thought - 438 g after shed. But that means l'll have to contact the vets fora new dose, as we have lowered her antibiotics dose to match her lower body weight... as well as take her back....noooo.
scottishbluebird Posted - 05/06/2018 : 22:09:12
Thats BRILLIANT!!! I was lucky with Lyla, after the surgery and worry about her still being sick, wasnt too long til she was 100% you have had sooooo much longer to be worried sick about poor Baz, so so so pleased she is doing so well, if Lyla saw her she would try to kiss her better lol
Razee Posted - 05/06/2018 : 18:55:36
She's just had her antibiotics dose and put up quite a good fight which l' glad to see, as that means she must be feeling better - she even feels ever so slightly stronger when l hold her.

I always let her settle for a couple of minutes in the tub after dosing her, then offer a drink - and she's drunk every time! Today she managed 156 gulps ( l know, sad that l'm counting, but she seems to drink for soooo long...)

She's just cleared from blue, so should shed in the next couple of days, then l will offer her some more fuzzies...l'll be glad when the antibiotics are done, she has 3 more doses to go at least, every other day.
scottishbluebird Posted - 05/06/2018 : 15:51:31
How is she doing now?
scottishbluebird Posted - 02/06/2018 : 15:51:56
Poor girl, but i so pleased she is eating and drinking xxx
ScalySituation Posted - 01/06/2018 : 19:48:30
That's a big relief, hopefully it'll be up from here :)
Razee Posted - 01/06/2018 : 19:42:51
Hopefully completely done, when it comes to egg laying :-)

The wound will take longer to heal, and she has to be on antibiotics for another 10 days. She has had an injection today, so l don't have to dose her till day after tomorrow - every 2 days. Then the stitches should come out in4 weeks time ( all booked in ).

The wound looks good and is nice and dry, just need to keep an eye on it, and she is not allowed bedding, just newspaper or torn up paper towels. Not allowed to bathe her now, so if she has a bad shed ( which she is bound to with the stitches in ) l just have to use moistened towel or cotton bud to help her get it off. But l will worry about that when we come to it, just happy she is done, drunk and eaten :-)
ScalySituation Posted - 01/06/2018 : 19:17:58
So she's completely done?
YAY!!!
Hopefully her appetite will stick around and she'll put that weight back on no time!
Razee Posted - 01/06/2018 : 17:25:41
Some good news :-)

Back home now. Firstly, just before we traveled, Bazilishka has actually drunk :-) she had a massive drink, and would have had more, if l didn't stop her ( as she had to travel ).

At the vets, l looked at her X ray that was done just before her operation, and my heart sunk...what looked like single eggs were actually pairs of small eggs, she was full of them, and only laid 12! And she was already going blue again... but no eggs were visible in her, so the lady vet did another x ray - and Baz is empty! She must have reabsorbed the other eggs! Yay!

The egg that was taken out when she'd had her operation was massive, and the other eggs behind it that were also taken out( new eggs) were also large and possibly fertile, and the stuck egg was blocking them, so just as well it came out.

We weighed her, and she is only 350 g (!) poor little thing. She was 720g before she was mated, 789g pregnant, and 513 g after the first clutch of eggs. Then she ate well and she put on a bit - was 538 g after her last shed ( but of course, that was the eggs ), and 480 g l think - after the operation. Now she has laid the slugs, and only weighs 350g...could even have been 320g, not sure as at the vets, and then forgot to weigh her when we got home.

And the best news - SHE ATE! :-)
I wasn't going to offer, as she had a hard day, long travel, and last time she refused after she laid, but she suddenly looked very perky when we got home- so l thought what the heck, let's try - and she ate! Even constricted ( though weakly ) the first fuzzy! She had 3 fuzzies, and the last one had vit/ min supplement on it - they were about 16 g together. Not much, but it's a first meal, she is weak, and blue...so l thought l won't push it. She's digesting in her warm hide :-) and l'm so happy for her. All your good thoughts must have worked ! :-)
ScalySituation Posted - 01/06/2018 : 11:44:50
Oh blimey, poor girl!! She's really having a heck of a year
Razee Posted - 01/06/2018 : 10:05:50
You won't believe this...still going through it! Back to the vets today...

I gave Baz a lay box, with a dry bedding of torn up kitchen towel. She ignored it, roaming more and more, even nose rubbing, which she has never done before. On Wednesday l took the lay box out when changing her newspaper, and found one dry, hard slug in there, but Baz was out of the box.

At this point l gave in, and very lightly misted the underside of the lid of the lay box, and gave one squirt of a mist to the paper towel. It still felt dry to touch, but would have raised the humidity just a tiny bit, perhaps enough to convince her it was a good place to lay in, without being too damp for her wound. She went straight in, and stayed there.

I didn't disturb her at all yesterday morning, as she was in the lay box and has blocked the entrance, so l suspected she was nesting...yesterday evening, after work, l lifted the lay box out to check through the bottom, and she was coiled around 11 eggs ( slugs ) :-0

I didn't disturb her and put the box straight back in, even though it looked like she has finished, just in case she hasn't....well, checked this morning ( again, only through the bottom of the box without opening it, or taking off the cardboard cover ) and there's a big swelling by her vent...so she's possibly stuck again! Considering she started laying on Wednesday ( before, if l count the first slug ), she is back to the vets this afternoon...

I'm so worried ( again ), she is very weak now, and has not had her her antibiotics ( as l thought it safer not to disturb and stress her during laying ), she will be dehydrated by now, but l can't bathe her, because of the wound, and she will not drink... l'm hoping the lady vet may be able to rehydrate her, as well as get rid of the possibly stuck slugs and check on the wound... we have an appointment this afternoon, so again, please, please send good thoughts for the little girl...

ScalySituation Posted - 31/05/2018 : 10:29:55
How is she?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000