The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Breeding
 Egg denting...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Razee Posted - 08/06/2018 : 18:25:00
Ok, so yesterday l noticed one of Baz's eggs is denting, whilst the others were still fully inflated. They were on day 56-57.

Today ( day 57-58 ) second egg is denting and the first one has dented even more. It just seems a bit early, as l'm incubating at 27.5 C - so was expecting them to hatch around 65 - 70 days?

The humidity in the box is high ( close to 100% )with condensation on the lid, the eggs are in vermiculite, covered with loose damp sphagnum moss to stop any drips from lid falling directly on the eggs, and there's a sheet of kitchen towel ( Kathy Love trick to asses moisture ) which is damp. The vermiculite seems damp to touch, but l wonder if it dried slightly near the dented egg, so added a bit of water in that area, just in case.

However, if the eggs don't fill up again, they could well be close to hatching!

I didn't even get a chance to get impatient, with all the worry about Bazilishka .
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Razee Posted - 13/06/2018 : 20:18:03
Awwww...l guess it does happen in nature, too, we just don't get to see it.

I did wonder about one of the eggs l cut - the egg white came out looking a bit darker, seems normal now but l haven't seen the hatchling move...
ScalySituation Posted - 13/06/2018 : 17:27:33
I had one that couldn't get out last year - poor thing drowned
Razee Posted - 13/06/2018 : 16:25:21
I think you have to pay subscription?

5 babies out now, 1 pippie, and l decided to cut the 3 remaining eggs. Main reason being that those 3 seem to have even tougher shells than the others, and l noticed what looked like scratches in the shell, that didn't go all the way through the shell.

I think perhaps they were trying to pip, but couldn't . I've seen a you tube video of a gecko ( fully developed ) dead in the egg, and there were similar scratches on the shell, that didn't go all the way through where it was trying to get out but couldn't - so didn't want to risk it.

I used scalpel blade but had a really hard job cutting through!

I also cut fully open the empty hatched eggs ( was interested what the inside looked like ) and all there was, was a tiny bit of egg white - nothing else! I was expecting to see some left over veins, or other tissue - but nothing ...
ScalySituation Posted - 13/06/2018 : 09:43:56
Think it's still photobucket but slightly different. There's a guide in the photo section
Razee Posted - 12/06/2018 : 21:27:58
Baby n.2 and 3 are out - n2 is very friendly and curious, and lovely to handle - and has 1 black eyebrow just like Bazilishka. N.3 is feisty, got a tail rattle when l picked him/her up.

Another 3 eggs are pipping now, 2 since this morning and one recently :-)

How do l post pics now?
Razee Posted - 12/06/2018 : 07:24:16
Checked late night again, and 2 more eggs have pipped. This morning, none of the 3 are out yet, but there are many slits in those 3 eggs.

Not a single egg in the group on the other end of the tub is even denting yet!

The only difference l can think of - l have 2 bottles of water in the incubator, acting as stabilisers for the temperature - and the side of the tub with the active eggs have been in contact with one of the bottles the whole time. Wild guess - it could have kept that side at more stable temperature, hatching the eggs earlier.

Leaving hatchling n1 alone this morning, he was roaming at night, now asleep on the warm end.
ScalySituation Posted - 11/06/2018 : 21:08:23
That's quite impressive. Normally they're pretty aggressive when fresh hatched - especially if he's in blue!
Razee Posted - 11/06/2018 : 17:57:43
Done:-)
Hatchling n1 had a short bath and is curled up in his tub. Somehow managed to dig him ( l say him, but could be her :-) ) out of the vermiculite without disturbing the other eggs.

He is blue already! And very dark, so l think this one will look more like Twiddie, he even has the same one elongated saddle on his back. Baz's saddles were bright red, with yellow background as a hatchling, whilst Twiddie was dark and dull ( especially the saddles ) until the colours came through.

It was amazing, handling him for the first time - he seemed really tame, no biting, no s-ing himself, nice and calm, and active. Nothing seemed to faze him, despite the fact that this massive human just chased him round the tub, picked him up, bathed him etc...l kept it really short, not to stress him too much, though he seemed pretty chilled.
Razee Posted - 11/06/2018 : 16:38:00
Ok- the first hatchling is out of the egg, at the bottom of the tub under all the vermiculite...how on earth am l going to get him out without disturbing the other eggs?

Another one has pipped since this morning :-) but no sign of the others pipping.

I had a trial run of the viv with all the tubs yesterday, and have just switched the heatmat on now, ready for the first hatchie...should l bathe him first?
ScalySituation Posted - 11/06/2018 : 15:49:34
Yeh definitely no need to worry yet. My clutch last year took almost 2 weeks to all hatch haha
Razee Posted - 11/06/2018 : 07:37:50
Just checked the eggs - and a little head is sticking out:-) sooo tiny.

The hatchie didn't retracted into the egg when l opened the lid, and was licking my finger :-) First human contact!

Two other eggs in that clump are dented, but the other egg clump on the opposite side of the box is still fully filled, showing no signs of denting. The eggs that are dented have been buried deeply in the vermiculite, so l guess we're a bit warmer.

ScalySituation Posted - 10/06/2018 : 17:32:44
Yayayyayayay!!
Razee Posted - 10/06/2018 : 14:25:49
I have a pippie!!! OMG l'm so excited - it's a bit early and only one other egg is denting, all the others aren't ready yet

I say pippie- l haven't actually seen the hatchie, just a massive slit in the shell :-)
ScalySituation Posted - 08/06/2018 : 19:39:08
Sounds like their getting ready to pop out!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000