The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Snake related D.I.Y
 How to seal gaps between viv doors

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/11/2009 : 21:40:34
Does your snake do this:

Because you have a lovely small gap like this:

Then you need the patented 'Bent bit of cardboard' strategically placed in the gap, like so:

And voila, no snakies escaping from between the glass/perspex doors.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mole Posted - 07/03/2011 : 22:15:48
Not had the problem yet but have guarded against any attempt at squishing through the gap using the black double glazing sealent rubbers, found a length in a skip, cut to size above and below the lock and it fits nicely and you cannot see it, just slide out when you want to open.. voila
hillzi Posted - 18/11/2009 : 18:57:30
As long as you have vents the air wont be cut off.

It does work, cheerioe's saved me.
lmfastcars Posted - 18/11/2009 : 16:07:47
thats a good idea but you should really try and avoid donig that becasue your cutting off alot of the air. Mined you you could use a kitchen roll and flatten it and it what sit in the nice and coseily
KITTYCAT Posted - 13/11/2009 : 18:57:49
Hi guys i put the white sponge like draft excluder between my sliding door cause mine both escaped that way when they were hatchlings
Kellog Posted - 13/11/2009 : 03:37:52
The felt strip is a good idea Bio.

I have found that the paper binder has helped stop Kellog trying to get out of the gap between the 2 doors. He still works his way up and down it occasionally but cant squeeze any of his nose in and it must be softer than a glass edge.

xxx
n/a Posted - 12/11/2009 : 13:32:04
Personally i use the silicon air hose that Eeji suggested earlier in the thread, although i have some 5mm thick soft felt stripping with a double sided tape back that i may change to when i get the time to do it.

The felt strip has the advantage of being soft enough to conform to the gap totally sealing it, and not having to be removed and refitted every time you open the viv doors. Plus it will probably buff off any finger prints (or other marks) on the inner glass when the door is opened. haha
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/11/2009 : 12:16:13
quote:
Originally posted by Janos

Does this also stop larger snakes from hurting their noses constantly trying to squeeze through a gap a third of the diameter of their head? >.>

lol I've had that problem before (the snake, not me)
Janos Posted - 12/11/2009 : 12:06:08
Does this also stop larger snakes from hurting their noses constantly trying to squeeze through a gap a third of the diameter of their head? >.>
Kellog Posted - 12/11/2009 : 10:13:39
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Don't hassle the hissle Hoff. {:D]

Good mohhhhhhhrniing beautiful!

K, he's a real beauty but I reckon he is too much for you to handle. Hawk and I are willing to offer him a loving home, you won't even ask you to pay us for the favour.

P.S Possibly in about three years time you and I can become in-laws, that is, if he wants to meet the MBK girls over here.

OK Hawkeye....I have seriously missed out on something, when did you get the MBKs?? 2 of them?? Names?? Wow

xxx
n/a Posted - 12/11/2009 : 10:06:11
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Good mohhhhhhhrniing beautiful!

K, he's a real beauty but I reckon he is too much for you to handle. Hawk and I are willing to offer him a loving home, you won't even ask you to pay us for the favour.

P.S Possibly in about three years time you and I can become in-laws, that is, if he wants to meet the MBK girls over here.

Kellog Posted - 12/11/2009 : 10:04:48
quote 'Don't hassle the hissle Hoff. {:D]' quote

Lol!!

xxx
Kehhlyr Posted - 12/11/2009 : 06:46:15
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

But having this Phill then its a bit of a hassel to open it and close it from taking the cardbord out and back in is hassel ??

Did someone say Hassel??

Kellog Posted - 12/11/2009 : 05:05:08
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

But having this Phill then its a bit of a hassel to open it and close it from taking the cardbord out and back in is hassel ??

which is why i use the paper binder...slides with door.

xxx
matty18714 Posted - 11/11/2009 : 16:18:27
Its better than losing a snake.
hiper2009 Posted - 11/11/2009 : 15:22:54
n/a Posted - 10/11/2009 : 02:45:52
I just slide a piece of kitchen roll in the gap, for some reason that seems to baffle my two. I think that may say more about my guys intellegence than anything else tho. ;-)
Kehhlyr Posted - 09/11/2009 : 20:39:58
Or if you want REALLY posh, then you build the viv properly.

I shall take a pic later of one of mine, the gap is only about the same thickness as a fag paper.
eeji Posted - 09/11/2009 : 19:25:27
....or if you want posh, get hold of a piece of clear hose/tubing, slice down the length and fit to the edge of the inner piece of glass :)
matty18714 Posted - 09/11/2009 : 17:26:12
Blimey Phil! Were did you learn your DIY skills!
n/a Posted - 09/11/2009 : 17:20:55

This is the stuff of nightmares!

Wouldn't snakey simply push that cardboard away and out? Not that it would be easy, but it can be done, no?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000