The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Mite Treatment - Oil Bath

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/01/2010 : 19:30:29
In this post is my royal python Diego. I have found the oil bath treatment to be quite effective at getting rid of the majority of mites on the body, which is what this will focus on. The oil suffocates the mites, and they lose their hold on the body.

You will need-
1. A waterproof container, ideally with a secure lid (don't forget air holes!)
2. Oil- I use olive. Do not use flavoured oils.
3. Kitchen towel or an old bath towel, light coloured is best, so white or cream.
4. A digital thermometer, they are better than the dial ones.
5. A clock, watch or timer.

If you are disinfecting/cleaning out your viv/faun/RUB at the same time then you will also need the equipment to perform this task.

I use a plastic tub, about the same size as an ice-cream tub, with a push on hinged lid and air holes. For bigger snakes an RUB would be fine. If your container doesn't have a lid, you will have to stay with your snake the whole time to make sure they don't escape.

Fill the tub with warm water, measured with the thermometer so it is around 26-28c. For pythons, 28-31c will be fine. Make sure the water is no deeper than around 2/3rds as "deep" as your snakes body, so they will not be at risk of drowning. Add a good splosh (about a spoonful) of the oil, and mix into the water thoroughly.

Get your snake, and check them over thoroughly. Look for how many mites there are on the body, eye condition, damaged scales etc. Then place them gently into the container. Do not put them in in such a way as would cause their head to dip under the water. Obviously this is stressful for your snake, and can be fatal if your snake takes in a lungful. Put the lid on the container.
FOR VERY SMALL, YOUNG OR WEAK SNAKES I RECOMMEND YOU SUPERVISE THEM WHILE THEY SOAK.

Set the timer- 10 to 15 minutes is plenty.

While my snake is soaking, I choose to clean and out disinfect his viv. As above, if unsure, stay with your snake. The snake can always be put into a separate tub whilst you do the viv after the bath is finished.

All solid, disinfectable decor is taken out and put to one side. EVERYTHING ELSE, including kitchen towel and toilet roll tubes etc is thrown away. If this is the first treatment for mites, also throw away any plants, and any wood that can't be fully cleaned and disinfected.

The whole viv is then sprayed with disinfectant (reptile safe, eg: F10) and wiped clean, then left to dry. The same is done with the hides etc. When everything is dry, set the viv back up. At the moment Diego is on kitchen towel, with 2 hides, a waterbowl and a log, nothing else.

By now, the timer should have gone off. Get some kitchen towel or the bath towel ready. I put mine across my lap. Take your snake out of the tub- they will be slippery and possibly a little stressed, so be sure to support them properly and don't let them slide away!! Place them onto the towel, and dry them gently, making sure you don't work the towel against the lie of the scales. You may find that mites come off into the towel. If this happens, squish them so that they can't transfer straight back onto your snake.

When your snake is dry, use the opportunity to check your snake over thoroughly again. Look for how many mites there are still on the body, eye condition, damaged scales etc. Your snake can then go back into the viv/faun/RUB etc.

If the bath has worked you will hopefully be able to see mites at the bottom of the tub. Squish them if you are concerned they may return from the dead. Get rid of the water well away from anything you use for your snakes.

The oil baths can be repeated every 2-3 days. Check that your snakes skin is not drying or cracking from the bathing, if it is, stop bathing immediately. If mites persist on the body of your snake for longer than around 2 weeks, try a different sort of treatment eg: Frontline. If your snake becomes very lethargic, dehydrated or anaemic, seek veterinary help. Once bathing has stopped, continue to search for mites daily, especially in the water bowl. Once 4 weeks have gone by without finding a single mite, consider yourself mite free. Do a spot check every week to check for reoccurrence.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lrv2307 Posted - 03/12/2010 : 17:17:37
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

No probs, consider yourself Stickied

My first sticky!!!

It is an honour!!

hiya SB

are mites common? am new to snakes, got my first corn hatchling 2 weeks ago now

thanks xxx
smiffy89 Posted - 26/09/2010 : 22:03:19
take it veggie oil works too
mikerichards Posted - 04/08/2010 : 18:34:21
How did you lose a boa to mites????
Katie.Dublin Posted - 04/08/2010 : 14:08:50
Really good post! i lost a Boa constrictor to those bloody mites, i think i tried EVERYTHING except this!
Twi Posted - 21/02/2010 : 17:36:56
Thats ok then, it's all I got in at the moment, wasn't sure if it would be ok or not. Looks like other hatchling might have them too so i'll give them both a soak. If I can get it in the tub without it trying to eat my hand @.@ why can't he/she be as docile as mouse lol Shes got very grumpy all of sudden.
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/02/2010 : 17:26:36
quote:
Originally posted by Twi

Does it work with sunflower oil? I was thinking of bathing mouse so he can get some relief until I can get some stuff for them on tuesday.

Dont see why not, I think olive works better because its thicker, but sunflower should be ok.
Twi Posted - 21/02/2010 : 16:41:17
Does it work with sunflower oil? I was thinking of bathing mouse so he can get some relief until I can get some stuff for them on tuesday.
SexyBear77 Posted - 22/01/2010 : 12:58:55
quote:

My first sticky!!!

It is an honour!!
Blackecho Posted - 22/01/2010 : 11:30:46
SexyBear77 Posted - 22/01/2010 : 09:35:33
quote:

Very good post, the one bit I may question is the spraying of the viv with F10, I do not believe that F10 kills mites or their eggs (I may be wrong). I would recommend something like Ardap or Frontline otherwise the eggs may still hatch and you have to start the whole process again.

Cheers for that BE.
hiper2009 Posted - 22/01/2010 : 08:43:15
Cool post SB Will be saving this incase my 2 babys need it
Blackecho Posted - 22/01/2010 : 08:39:52
Very good post, the one bit I may question is the spraying of the viv with F10, I do not believe that F10 kills mites or their eggs (I may be wrong). I would recommend something like Ardap or Frontline otherwise the eggs may still hatch and you have to start the whole process again.
HannahB Posted - 22/01/2010 : 06:08:43
great post
will save that incase i ever need it..touch wood i wont though!
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/01/2010 : 20:38:03
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

wooo! that's wicked :D

Only problem I've heard about oil is it causes bad sheds.

Hadn't heard that. Diego had shed twice since he started the oil bath treatment (2 different periods of treatment) and both sheds have been ok.
LittleMick Posted - 21/01/2010 : 20:37:59
This is one that I will be printing and adding to my snake file
Cheers SB
hillzi Posted - 21/01/2010 : 20:22:15
wooo! that's wicked :D

Only problem I've heard about oil is it causes bad sheds.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000