The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 mites

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 22/05/2009 : 12:14:05
this is gona sound like a totaly silly question but i have been reading a lot about mites and to be honest i know nothing about them.
if anyone can answer my questions it would be great..

how do snakes get mites?
how can u spot mites?
how to rid a snake of them

sorry for silly questions
x
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 25/03/2011 : 20:33:45
baby mites are whitish yes, they can move fairly quick for their size. as far as i remember, they turn black after their first feed, which is roughly 24 hours after they hatch.
Sta~ple Posted - 23/03/2011 : 10:46:55
What colour are baby mites, are they white and sand in colour and if so, how long does it usually take for them to turn black. And are snake mites quite slow movers or do they hop about like fleas generally.
lynn Posted - 15/03/2011 : 18:58:35
hi just thought i would tell you! we got a 4 month old hypo corn snake 4 weeks ago and we discovered she had mites! we put kitchen towel on floor of her viv and you could see them on paper! we bathed her in water wuth fairy liquid untill we got rid of them all! we got mite spray and did the tank every day aswell! was also told to microwave the substrate to kill off anything in that!! hopefully she wont get them again but we check her every day!! we were amazed that snakes got mites i thought only my dogs and horses could get them!
mikerichards Posted - 04/03/2011 : 23:43:49
Jez66, in all honesty, you are better off starting a thread in the health section, this section will get your post missed for the most part.
n/a Posted - 08/02/2011 : 19:19:47
hi, im new to this forum ive had my butter corn for 4 years he is the only reptile i have i have had no problems with him feeding and shedding until the last month? he has now refused two meals? not like him but he has not shed for about a month and usually does not eat until he has shed. i have just been reading about ythe mite thing, itching like mad now and have checked jake but can see nothing he is active enough any ideas on what could be the problem?? any help greatly appreciated
mikerichards Posted - 25/01/2011 : 07:15:14
quote:
Originally posted by Benji54

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Apparently we are breathing air.

i think thats pretty certain though Morpheus.

Neo x

You missed my point.
kerry84 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 02:32:20
i noticed tonight that my baby corn snake had a mite on it, now he was fed two pinkies, so do i leave him 48 hours before treating him or treat him stright away, im really panicking that hes gonna die i knw that sounds stupid but im worried please help any one ta
Benji54 Posted - 21/01/2011 : 13:31:58
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

i think thats pretty certain though Morpheus.

Neo x
mikerichards Posted - 21/01/2011 : 13:13:08
The only problem I have with getting rid of mites is that I have a room dedicated to the snakes, 6 vivs, 1 rack with 20 snakes, another with 6, and another with 20. Also have leos and cresties. That's why I have issues.
gmac Posted - 21/01/2011 : 00:15:59
yes my boa has, In all honesty if your snake gets mites it gets mites. Its not the end of the world and is not always all that difficult to sort them out.
mikeymike Posted - 20/01/2011 : 23:24:49
Yeah cheers but I am so worried bout my snake getting mites...especially hearing how difficult they are 2 get rid of! Im new to the world of snake keeping and know i would panic if my snake got mites especially as her viv is in my bedroom lol.

So have any of your snakes ever had mites?
gmac Posted - 20/01/2011 : 23:12:24
your question has been answered on your own thread http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14043
mikeymike Posted - 20/01/2011 : 23:08:11
So can someone tell me if my snake doesn't have mites is the only way for it to become infested is if i buy another snake that is already carrying them!??!
mikerichards Posted - 27/05/2010 : 13:51:26
Its the life cycle of the mites, not frontline.
Blackecho Posted - 27/05/2010 : 13:49:39
According to that link you posted, it says 'All life stages are apparently killed by exposure to temperatures in excess of 105 degrees F'. I'd rather be certain when it comes to mites.

Also, I can't see any mention of Frontline or an investigation into it's affects on snakes on that site?

Anyway, an interesting read, as are the two sources of information listed at the bottom of that article, even if some of the data doesn't quite match.

mikerichards Posted - 27/05/2010 : 13:25:15
I dont know if a PM was carried out, i have never been in that situation having never used it on the snakes.
According to the research carried out, and documented, shown on the the VPI website, all stages of mites are killed below 1 degree C and above 38C for an extended period.
I am not the only one to have heard of problems using Frontline on the snake. There have been many issues with it.
Have a look here http://www.vpi.com/publications/the_life_history_of_snake_mites
Blackecho Posted - 27/05/2010 : 12:45:23
I have used it a couple of times on my snakes without any sign of issue and know many many more that have said the same, but you are the first that I have heard that has had any problems with it (the spray, not the drops). I'm presuming you had a PM tox screen and it was confirmed that the Frontline was determined to be the cause of death?

Vets will advise against it as it has not been thoroughly tested on reptiles and as such they could be held liable if they recommended its use.

Also, your advise on mites not coping with freezing/boiling is only accurate for the hatched animals, the eggs can survive both.
mikerichards Posted - 27/05/2010 : 10:30:29
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Frontline is fine if used sparingly. Use the spray, not the drops, spray a couple of times onto a piece of kitchen towel and allow snake to slither through, avoiding the head.

I have to disagree with this, even my vet has said dont use it on the snake.
Snakes absord through their skin, they absorb the frontline, neat frontline is cabable of killing a snake quite quickly.
There are plenty of safe methods to use on the snake, there is no need to use the frontline on them. Treat the viv and bits and pieces with frontline yes, but not the snake.
I know someone who used it on the snake, and it died quite quickly.

Also, mites cant cope with being frozen, they are a tropical bug, not native at all, they also cant cope with warm temps, over 38 degrees i think, so boiling or cooking is going to kill them.
Blackecho Posted - 01/03/2010 : 13:26:17
Frontline is fine if used sparingly. Use the spray, not the drops, spray a couple of times onto a piece of kitchen towel and allow snake to slither through, avoiding the head.
gingerpony Posted - 20/02/2010 : 13:51:30
for more info on the 'natural approach' to snake mites using hypoaspis mites have a look here:
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3018

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000