The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Vambo's Epic First Shed. (Lots of pics)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Auld Baldy Posted - 24/04/2012 : 21:50:47
I noticed that Vambo had started to shed just after lunch-time. A small piece was hanging off his jaw and there was a bit stuck across his eye. Time for a damp hide, cat box and damp towel. (Big thanks to Graeme.) Things didn't go well and it turned into an all day event and I hand to literally lend a hand to get the job done. He is underweight and his efforts were being wasted trying to push against the 'flat tyre' loose skin. Eventually, 6 hours to be precise, I had a rather pretty but knackered Carpet Python who promptly thanked me with a monster dump on my carpet. You're welcome Vambo, any time.

Hope you enjoy.

One unhappy looking Vambo with a little bit of shedding around the eyes and mouth. Not doing too well after an hour or so scrubbing around in the chips.

Getting into the groove on a damp towel in a cat tray. Still not making much progress.

Left him covered with a damp tea towel for a while but progress is slow.

Close-up of head. I was worried about eye caps but this one has come off clean.

He got on with it again, scrubbing along the corners of the tray but by this time it looked like he was tiring. You can clearly see his flat tyre in the bottom right of the picture.

Only thing to do was give him a hand. It was possibly going to hurt me a lot more than it was him. Oh Boy!! Was I wrong. He let me damp him down with a moist tissue and get things started around his head. Then it was a fairly strong hand grip on the ragged edges and he was able to concentrate the 'squirm' where it mattered. He settled down as if he knew I was only trying to help him.

Thanks Pal! I needed that. I love you Big Yin.

The fruits of our endeavours. Scrappy but at least it all came off. I was worried about one eye cap which had left a ring around the eye edge but he had managed to scrub it off on the damp towel.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ScalySituation Posted - 20/12/2012 : 21:26:54
I had similar events with Sheldon about a fortnight ago. Nearly lost him under the washing machine, but we got it all off in the.end
Auld Baldy Posted - 28/04/2012 : 02:29:47
Not so much a Coastal Carpet Python, more a Carpet Crapper Python.
n/a Posted - 27/04/2012 : 22:21:19
Carpets certainly know how to dump lol
Hissyfit Posted - 27/04/2012 : 19:54:48
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Hissy, you didn't see the size of the dump!

Lol, I can just imagine it
Auld Baldy Posted - 27/04/2012 : 19:29:52
Hissy, you didn't see the size of the dump!
Hissyfit Posted - 27/04/2012 : 18:59:42
Poor boy! Glad it all came off in the end and he appreciated your help. A dump on the carpet is better than a tag anyday
n/a Posted - 25/04/2012 : 22:56:14
Your very welcome.
Soaking is also a good way to check for mites at the same time if they have any these will fall off in the RUB and drown
Auld Baldy Posted - 25/04/2012 : 21:09:26
Thanks for the links. These are handy to refer to for the next time. Once he's rested up I'll try him with short weekly soaks and see how he takes to water.
n/a Posted - 25/04/2012 : 20:33:21
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3004

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4955

These links might be of intrest on the corn snakes sister site the royal python.
Auld Baldy Posted - 25/04/2012 : 17:36:40
Cheers Toggsy, the cat box and damp towels probably worked just as well, or badly, as the pillow case tip. The real problem was being underweight and unable to get any purchase on anything to work the shed against. Once I had him in in the hand grip I could feel the action working.

Hopefully he will have put on a bit of beef in time for the next shed. I'll try the soaking tip post blue stage as well. My carpet can only take so much snake dump on a scale like that.
n/a Posted - 25/04/2012 : 17:19:09
Our Royal used have problems with her sheds but I've made a point of soaking her every week in a RUB with tight fitting lid wether shes due for a shed or not and touch wood her sheds have been ok since.
It does take a few sheds for it to sort itself out initially but if your still having problems with his shed using a damp pillowcase and allowing snakey to wriggle around inside helps in removing the skin.
Another aid to assist in shedding shed ease which softens the skin but I'm sure your aware of this.
Auld Baldy Posted - 25/04/2012 : 17:04:43
Thanks guys.

lol @ cheese grater.

Sparky, yes he's fine. Just a bit out of condition due to the inexperience of the previous owner. I'll soon have him up to showroom standard.
343guiltyspark Posted - 25/04/2012 : 16:52:26
Is he ok?
lotabob Posted - 25/04/2012 : 15:22:42
Cheese grater next time lol.
smart bunny Posted - 25/04/2012 : 09:53:44
Awww well done!
kev 5 Posted - 25/04/2012 : 07:27:41
great pics
ScalySituation Posted - 25/04/2012 : 03:49:30
fab pics, and yay him for knowing you were trying to help
Lozzy Posted - 25/04/2012 : 01:47:08
Aww bless him! Glad both your effort paid off, looking lush now atleast :)
scottishbluebird Posted - 25/04/2012 : 01:19:10
Crackin pics!
Moriarty Posted - 24/04/2012 : 22:56:08
This is brilliant! Awesome snake too. Well done :D

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000