The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Poss R.I. Not good

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 15/01/2010 : 10:53:36
Ok, so I picked up the new snake from my 'friend'. It's a very odd colour, like a Normal in shed (except apparenntly he's not long shed already). He has some suspect rough patches of skin and what appears to be retained shed on his belly. He's friendly as anything and I checked him over for mites, of which there were none. I'll give him a bath later on (may put some shed-eeze in). That's not my main concern however.

I wasn't happy with the look of the snake but I had no intention of leaving the snake with him, from the look of things it seemed like the snake would be better off with me (for various personal reasons it looks a lot like he's lost interest in everything and is finding life hard to cope with at the moment).

We'd almost got home when I heard the snake make a funny noise. When he did it again a while later we realised the funny noise was a sneeze. Snake then sneezed a couple times more before bed time. Obviously we moved his set-up into another room.

His mouth isn't gaping, he isn't wheezing and he's drinking fine. There's no evidence of discharge from his mouth either but obviously I think it's an RI. Getting him to a vets this side of Tuesday morning just isn't feasible so does anyone with experience think I should try the vicks vapour treatment (the RUB inside a RUB one) morning and evening till Tuesday? I've raised his viv temp to 31degrees, replaced his big bathing water bowl with a small, drinking one to minimise chances of raising humidity. I've put him on kitchen roll substrate and I'm using anti-bacterical hand gel before and after handling him. (Clearly the 'hands off period' is impossible under these circumstances but I am still trying to keep handling to a minimum).

I've spoken to Rob but he denies any knowledge of sneezing. It's difficult to say what snakes living conditions were like as s/he was already in a transport RUB when we arrived. I've made my feelings very clear about to him about the whole situation. Granted, sometimes a sneeze is just a sneeze but I'm inclined to look at the worse case scenario as I like to be prepared.

I hope for the snakes sake that it's not an RI (as I said he's got an appointment on Tuesday morning). Of course I'm also deeply concerned for my other snakes. He was only in the same room as them for maybe two hours, but 2 hours is long enough for an airbourne RI. I'm surprised, and disappointed beyond belief that my friend would let an animal get in this mess. He's a very different person than he was a couple of years ago.

Sorry for the long long post but I'd like some thoughts and ideas from those of you with experience of RI. I'll keep you posted on what happens. xx
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 16/01/2010 : 06:46:16
I think a visit to the vet is a definite necessity, whether it is an RI or not. I know it is an expense but considering the poor state he was in when you got him it will be good for him to get a full checkover and should certainly put your mind at rest. Is your vet one that has herp experience?

Also understand what GP has said about the possibility of it being retained shed up his nostril that he is trying to dislodge, especially as he has had such a bad shed. GP is the most experienced corn snake health expert we have on this forum and we all listen to and respect her advice, so I would definitely do what she says.

I am so sorry your 'friend' had allowed things to get so bad, although I guess you dont know what state the snake was in when it was found. But he should have known there was a problem and certainly should have kept the snake in better conditions....I am so glad you told him what you felt about it - in no uncertain terms I am sure - and I am very glad that I will never be on the receiving end of a conversation like that from you !!

I am just so glad he is now with you and somewhere that he is safe and cared for, well done .

xxx
gingerpony Posted - 15/01/2010 : 12:38:21
if he's had a poor shed the noise could even been some stuck shed in his nostrils.......

either way i'd INCREASE the humidity for 2-3 days as well as raising the temps. the increase humidity will help with the stuck shed AND if there is any mucous it will make it more runny and easier to drain and clear
n/a Posted - 15/01/2010 : 11:51:55

The sounds he was making were not necessarily sneezes, possibly something got caught in his throat or nose and he was trying to get rid of it? Hard to say without seeing and hearing him, but if you suspect his living conditions may have been poor then that's possible too.

If no informed advice comes along, then this is what I would do: at the moment I'd refrain from treating for RI but would keep a close eye and note whether or not he makes that sound again. Possibly by Tuesday morning you'll come to the conclusion that all is well. If not, and especially if he deteriorates, I'd try to phone a vet and get some advice over the phone, or post here again with any new information.

HannahB Posted - 15/01/2010 : 11:18:28
i thought that my edison was coming down with an RI a few weeks ago, he was making a few suspect clicks every so often although not so much wheezing..
i got another heat mat and put it under the cool end to boost the temps of that end to about 24, i then boosted the warm end temp to about 31 aswell. I havent heard any clicking or similar since so am hoping its cleared up and that i caught whatever it was early. I have since turned the temps down but have kept the heatmat under the cool end turned on at about 20-22'c

i will admit to not knowing anything about the vicks treatment so cant help you there..sorry!

im sure with some loving care from you he will get back to full health - sounds like you got there just in time to prevent it getting worse

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000