Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  00:50:31  Show Profile
Hi, I hope someone can help me out. I have an unsexed, approx 15 month old carolina corn. About 10 days ago she(he) had a perfect, complete shed but today I noticed that on about 3 different places on her, skin is peeling off and her scales look a little damaged. Some areas look a little darker than normal too. None of these problems were there when I was handling her a couple of days ago. I know it's not burns because the heat lamp is behind mesh. Also, about 2 weeks I noticed she had a tiny white mark (covering about 4/5 scales) just below her head, but had hoped this would disappear with the next shed...could this be connected? She doesn't seem any different in character and was perfectly happy to be handled as usual as I inspected her. Could anyone give me any ideas as to what might be up?

Thanks for any help.
Si

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  06:37:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Si, welcome to the forum, sorry about your snake, any chances of some pics of the damage?

If its lose skin you could put her in a luke warm bath for a bit then run her through a towel.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  06:37:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Si, welcome to the forum, sorry about your snake, any chances of some pics of the damage?

If its lose skin you could put her in a luke warm bath for a bit then run her through a towel.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  13:06:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yeah about 2" deep, only luke warm, for about 10 mins if you're giving her a bath.
what sort of substrate are you using? beech chippings and aspen are popular choices but pine shavings/sawdust is a definite 'no-no' as it's toxic and an irritant.
also how humid is her viv? too much humidity can cause problems as corns wouldn't normally live in a humid environment.
just a few things to think about pics would be good like BE says, and welcome to the forum btw.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  13:06:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yeah about 2" deep, only luke warm, for about 10 mins if you're giving her a bath.
what sort of substrate are you using? beech chippings and aspen are popular choices but pine shavings/sawdust is a definite 'no-no' as it's toxic and an irritant.
also how humid is her viv? too much humidity can cause problems as corns wouldn't normally live in a humid environment.
just a few things to think about pics would be good like BE says, and welcome to the forum btw.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  17:38:28  Show Profile
Hi, thanks for the response guys. I'm using beech chippings and the viv is all wooden (except doors of course) and not humid. I spray lightly a couple of times a day when she's in shed but not any other time. I'll try the warm bath/towel method to see if it helps thanks. Pics to follow...
Nice one.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  17:38:28  Show Profile
Hi, thanks for the response guys. I'm using beech chippings and the viv is all wooden (except doors of course) and not humid. I spray lightly a couple of times a day when she's in shed but not any other time. I'll try the warm bath/towel method to see if it helps thanks. Pics to follow...
Nice one.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  18:29:47  Show Profile
Here's some pics. You can see she's a little dark all over really. She's normally much brighter than that.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x112/stellaDAWES/P1010205.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x112/stellaDAWES/P1010206.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x112/stellaDAWES/P1010208.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x112/stellaDAWES/P1010210.jpg
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  18:29:47  Show Profile
Here's some pics. You can see she's a little dark all over really. She's normally much brighter than that.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x112/stellaDAWES/P1010205.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x112/stellaDAWES/P1010206.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x112/stellaDAWES/P1010208.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x112/stellaDAWES/P1010210.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  18:41:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
That doesn't look like retained shed to me, that looks more like its got caught on something rough or burnt. It might be worth seeing a vet.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  18:41:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
That doesn't look like retained shed to me, that looks more like its got caught on something rough or burnt. It might be worth seeing a vet.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  18:52:59  Show Profile
Yeah, I thought it wasn't retained shed 'cos her last shed was perfect. I don't know what she could've caught it on though. Also it's pretty much all over her, just worse in some places, I'm baffled. Think a trip to the vet is in order tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

p.s She didn't enjoy the bath at all!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  18:52:59  Show Profile
Yeah, I thought it wasn't retained shed 'cos her last shed was perfect. I don't know what she could've caught it on though. Also it's pretty much all over her, just worse in some places, I'm baffled. Think a trip to the vet is in order tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

p.s She didn't enjoy the bath at all!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  19:14:37  Show Profile
Retained shed = more scales on top of each other, the snake is missing a layer of scales.

Deffinatly in the 2nd pic it looks as if the snake has been burnt, the uder scales are showing. I would take it to a rep vet.

Any chance of some pics of the bulb with the guard on?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  19:14:37  Show Profile
Retained shed = more scales on top of each other, the snake is missing a layer of scales.

Deffinatly in the 2nd pic it looks as if the snake has been burnt, the uder scales are showing. I would take it to a rep vet.

Any chance of some pics of the bulb with the guard on?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  19:37:41  Show Profile
Does that not look a bit like scale rot to anyone else, i'm no expert, but i just googled it and they look pretty similar?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  19:37:41  Show Profile
Does that not look a bit like scale rot to anyone else, i'm no expert, but i just googled it and they look pretty similar?

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  19:39:19  Show Profile
May sound a daft question, but going to ask it anyway... do snakes get fungal infections??.... if it started with a couple of patches up by head.. is it now spreading or getting noticably worse? Just a thought... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  19:39:19  Show Profile
May sound a daft question, but going to ask it anyway... do snakes get fungal infections??.... if it started with a couple of patches up by head.. is it now spreading or getting noticably worse? Just a thought... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  19:47:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Peanuts

Was thinking along those lines, but didn't want to guess. Best to get to a vet though imo.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  19:47:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Peanuts

Was thinking along those lines, but didn't want to guess. Best to get to a vet though imo.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000