Quick question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  19:32:00  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I'm moving Dusk up to fluffs today but they seem a bit big for him.
They arn't really bigger then 1.5x the fattest part of his body but they seem huge for his head size.

Will he eat it if its too big or leave it?
It won't cause him any damage will it?

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  19:34:50  Show Profile
Normaly if its too big they will leave it, and if it goes down it stays down

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  19:35:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'll put a lot of money on it going down fine

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  19:40:11  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Will update you all in an hour or so after defrost :P

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  20:48:40  Show Profile
Be very careful that its not too big or the snake MAY regurge. 1 1/2 times is a bit too big imo. I go for about the same size or just a bit bigger than the thickest part of the body, but no bigger than 1 1/4 the size.

52 corns,5 sinaloans,2 florida kings, 2 cali kings, 2 royal pythons,
3 blood pythons, 3 mexican hoggies, 3 western hoggies, 3 baja rosy boas, 2 mexican rosy boas.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  21:05:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it's the snakes's body width rather than it's head width that you need to compare the size of the prey item with, corns are very stretchy so i wouldn't be overly concerned Ell. if it's first time on a bigger meal it might be worth leaving an extra day (3 in total) before handling to allow for digestion.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  21:09:40  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Righty dokie, all fed!
He ate it fine once he got past the paws. One just wouldn't go in, he was rolling on his back and everything to get it in.
I was unsure whether to intervene so I watched a while, a few mins past and he still hadn't got it in so I took the lid off the tub. He flinched and threw a coil over the pinkie but I pushed the paw near his mouth and bless him, he opened up and grabbed it then he ate the rest fine.

I was wondering if I feed him once every 6 or 7 days now as he's on fluffs and was fed every 5 days on pinkies?

Thanks muchly

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  23:18:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if the meal size has increased you might want to increase the number of days between feeds, alternatively you could wait until he is actively hunting in his viv and feed him then (providing it's not less than 5 days) that way he shouldn't gain weight too quickly and has plenty of exercise searching for food.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  23:56:39  Show Profile
Oh... is that what they're doing when they have a wander round their viv... I thought they were just going for a stroll

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

157 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  00:35:10  Show Profile
Nia didnt look as if she was going to manage her 2nd fluff, i was a little worried because of the came reason, the paws just didnt seem 2 be going dwn, btu i thought if she started then she must of been able to have a gd go so i left her to it nd after around 12 or 13mins she finished it all, which is a long time i no, but 7 days l8a she ate an even bigger fluff in under 4 mins, its amazin lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  09:49:27  Show Profile
I will repeat what i said ealier.
Dont try to get a snake to eat to large an item it may make the snake regurge. If there is a regurge it puts alot of stress on a poor snake, and will put the snake back in health. Plus some snakes then get in a routine of regurging at every feed.
If there is a very large lump after it has fed go smaller.
If a snake is roaming the viv he has digested the food item, but feed the next day so to help build up its gut fauna to aid digestion of the next feed.

52 corns,5 sinaloans,2 florida kings, 2 cali kings, 2 royal pythons,
3 blood pythons, 3 mexican hoggies, 3 western hoggies, 3 baja rosy boas, 2 mexican rosy boas.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  11:15:09  Show Profile
Clearly the fluff worked out, nice one Ell it must be so satisfying! Baby Dusk is growing up lol!

My snake wanders round his viv 24 hours after eating and usually still has a slight lump. I've used up all the teeny pinkies I have so now I'm onto ones that are probably around 1 1/2 his size (he's so lickle still!!), but the last two feeds he's taken with great gusto (and 2 pinkies despite them being bigger!). I've been leaving him an extra 12 hours before handling to make sure he digests it all, but he's really starting to grow! Greedy wee thing How much bigger than a pinkie is a fluff? I was going to wait until he was regularly on three pinkies a feed before 'upgrading'...

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  21:28:58  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I will take a photo for you Sil with a fluff next to a pinkie on their next feed day as a comparison ^^

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  21:31:04  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
you'd be suprised at how big a snake can stretch it's jaw if it's determind enough :D

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  11:08:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ell

I will take a photo for you Sil with a fluff next to a pinkie on their next feed day as a comparison ^^

Oooh thanks! That would really help!

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2008 :  22:00:27  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Here you are Sil ^^
Fluff on the left obviously and 2 pinkies on the right.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000