New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2008 :  19:53:46  Show Profile
Good Evening Everyone,
I have a Snow Corn Snake (Pearl) who is approx 6 months old. I was thinking about buying a new Vivarium for her as she is currently in a starter Vivarium size being 16inchs long and 8 inch’s wide. Pearl is 16inchs long. Is there any recommendation of when we should change there vivariums and is it ok to move them into one that is 3 foot long. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Snowy

SnowyStyle

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2008 :  22:32:37  Show Profile
Hi Snowy
I'm fairly new to snakes, but from what I have read on here, I think most people would advise you against moving your snake into anything too big as it will stress them.

If you want to save money by buying a large viv rather than gradually upsizing as the snake grows, try sectioning it off so that your snake only lives in the smaller end, and put lots of hides and things in as snakes are somewhat agorophobic.

Another thing you could try is to leave your original viv inside the bigger viv, so that they have somewhere familiar.

I'm sure others who know much more will reply with other idea's / their thoughts.

Best of luck... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2008 :  22:55:13  Show Profile
Good Evening Jennet,

Thanks for your reply and good ideas much appreciated

SnowyStyle
Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2008 :  23:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Hi Snowy Welcome to the forum! Keep it in the starter Viv for a good while yet. The General rule is that the best viv size for a corn is when the front and 1 side of the viv equals the length of the snake. So for example- your snake is 16 inches, so a 10 inch by 6 inch viv should be perfect.

Sectioning off a larger viv like Jennet suggests is a good idea. That way you can move the partition a little more as your snake grows.

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000