The Count of Corniness
Posted - 17/04/2009 : 11:11:24
| This is my version of a guide that was posted a while ago on www.theroyalpython.com. Itís a guide for making a hide from Salt Dough.
You will need:
~ 2 cups of flour
~ 1 cup of salt
~ 1 cup of water
~ 1.5 tablespoons of olive/vegetable oil
~ Grease proof paper
~ Mixing bowl
~ Baking tray
~ Rolling pin
~ Sand paper
~ Something to use as a mould
~ Spray paint
For my hide I used twice as much of everything.
1. Mix the flour and salt together in the bowl.
2. Add the water and oil, slowly mixing it until it holds together but isnít sticky. It should look like this, minus the face:
Thatís the dough sorted.
3. Cover the bowl with a verrrry thin layer of oil. Too much and the dough wont dry properly.
4. Roll the dough out until itís about half an inch thick. Then place it onto the mould and trim it to the right size. Donít forget to make the entrance.
I had this left over; I will show you what I did with it at the end.
5. Put the mould onto the baking tray lined with grease proof paper. Then put that in the oven at 100*C for the rest of time...it takes aaaaggggeeeessss. The longer you can lave it the better.
6. Check it every now and then to see if it is hard, it wonít be hot. Once itís hard take it out of the oven and leave it to cool.
7. Take the hide off of the mould. You may need to use the sand paper to sand away any over lapping edges stopping it from moving. If the inside of the hide isnít dry, put the hide in the oven upside down and leave it as long as possible again.
8. Once the whole thing is totally dry, sand down any rough edges. Make sure itís clean and not dusty and give it 3 coats of primer.
This is the paint and primer I used:
3 coats of primer:
9. Then 3 coats of spray paint
10. Then 3 coats of clear varnish:
That was the How to, this is the How not to. This is what I did with the dough left over. The instructions on the link posted on Theroyalpython said 250*C for 45 mins which seemed a bit much...
After about 8 mins...
Edited by - matty18714 on 17/04/2009 11:32:32