Stupid Question That I Need To Know! :P
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

71 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  03:12:54  Show Profile
Ok, first off i know im 16 but i've finished all my GCSE's so why not treat my self to a late night up and a lay in haha!

Before i start, fed my snake for the first time ever on wednesday was so excited, let it defrost, held it in with tweezers.... Nothing but off a sniff... Got my dads pocket knife (It was sterile and all!) And cut a bit of flesh on the head (Heard this is called braining and is helpful?) Held it there again... WHAM!!! Struck straight away, best experience of my life! And just a thanks that you have helpful things up like that on the site, and thankful to myself in doing research!

Ok now onto what im here to post about, snake hasnt shed with me yet as its my first ever snake and is nearly 1yr so it has shed with the bloke at the pet shop. Man at the pet shop said best not to handle it because of the skin over the eyes and they go blind or partially blind for the time being, although some people do handle theres and its fine. Now for the questions :)
1) Should i just leave my snake to "do its thing" and not handle it whilst shedding.
2) Should i try help peel off the shed or will it come off easily enough on its own?
3) Will my snake forget about me handling it, like after the shedding and i go to handle it will it remember me picking it up from before or be like... WTF! (not litterally but like whats that? instead of "only a hand")
4) Anything additional i may need/want to know about shedding
5) Will the snake still feed ok, or will it disrupt the feeding pattern (what i mean is.. if it dosnt eat on a wednesday the usual feeding day, do i just wait til next wednesday or?)

Sorry for the essay, but i love this snake so much and want it to have the best home ever! :D
Regards,
Blake

Many Thanks To Solid For The Sig.

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  09:41:52  Show Profile
1) Leave it be
2) It should come off ine by itself, never peel a snake. Check that the eye caps are on the she and the tip of the tail has come off.
3) It should react pretty mucht he same way as before
4) If you want to judge the snakes length from the shed, take 10% off of the sheds length and that will be close to the snakes length. The shed is always longer than the snake.
5)Dont feed the snake during shed, it wont matter. Some snaks do eat and some dont but its fine to wait until after.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

71 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  14:51:28  Show Profile
Thanks, mate all taken into consideration. Will have a check back on this when its nearer the time!

Regards,
Blake

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

71 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  14:53:53  Show Profile
I forgot to ask, what do you mean by Make sure the eye caps are on?

Regards,
Blake

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  16:57:58  Show Profile
Hi,
matty means the eye caps are on your snakes shed skin and not still stuck on the snakes eyes.
Hope that helps.
Your snakes eyes will go cloudy for a couple of days before it sheds then it will have a shed but in some cases you might have to help your snake get the skin off ONLY if the skin is coming off bit by bit and if so you will have to bath your snake in luke warm water then dry in a towel then the skin should come off OR spray your snake with luke warm water and dry through a towel.
Madgirl x.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

71 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2009 :  13:04:32  Show Profile
Ok thanks so much both of you, yeah i think i know what you mean. I saw some "circle like things" on a picture of a shedding snake, and i thought they might be the eye caps :)

Regards,
Blake

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  18:45:21  Show Profile
Hi Blake. Am a new owner too, although our snake is a 4 year old so is used to all this shedding thing, even if we aren't. He has shed once while we've had him. Noticed his skin went very dull rather than the usual gloss and his eyes seemed cloudy (think they call it their 'blue phase'). He spent a couple of days in his 'cave' nearly all the time then came out with everything returned to normal. Thought we must have been mistaken in believing he was about to shed. Did notice he was doing a lot of nose and head rubbing on branch etc. 2 days later I glanced in and he was fine, looked in few minutes later and he was a third out of his skin. Happens so fast, couldn't believe it. Didn't come off whole but with split down side, but most important thing was that eye scales and tail end were present (great gift to younger friends or relatives!). He looked gorgeous afterwards and slid through my hands so quick!
At least yours is eating, Kellog hasn't eaten since we got him 7 weeks ago! )-:
Know how you feel about wanting to do the best for your snake, have been told not to handle him while he is not eating and am missing him soooo much!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000