New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  12:42:37  Show Profile
hi

Looking for a bit of advice please. We have a cornsnake,not sure of sex, will be 2 in august. Has always eaten well every 7 days. missed the occasional meal when shedding but not often.

He hasnt eaten for 3 weeks, shed two weeks ago no problem. Nothing has changed in his viv, temp, food ect.

However we have noticed he is more active and desperatly trying to escape. He is at the front of the viv going side to side and up and down the edge of the glass.

He looks healthy enough, drinking ok just not eating. Is he wanting a mate? If so how long is this likey to go on for. Is there anything we can do.

Or am i barking up the wrong tree and there is something wrong with him?

thanks

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  13:07:58  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address
several other people have also had something similar.
I think it it because it is mating season so he/she wants to find a mate. It should soon pass i think.

1.0.0 Amel Corn - Fluffy!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  14:03:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
how are you feeding him? in or out of the viv?
if you usually feed in then try out in a tub, covered over undisturbed for 20 mins
if you usually feed out then try in - depending on what substrate you use
some of mine go through periods of being 'shy feeders' and this usually does the trick

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  18:23:01  Show Profile
thanks, he is normally fed in his viv and eats straight away. i will try taking him out but i think that would stress him rather than encourage him to eat.

How long does the breeding season last and how will i now when he wants to eat again. Im i right in thinking this is him now sexually mature

thanks
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  18:56:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yeah he could probably do the deed given the opportunity! although the breeding season has been and just about gone, most people already have this year's hatchlings or are waiting for eggs to pip soon.

try feeding him in a tub, make sure he can't escape so you are able to cover it up and leave him to it safely. don't keep peeking at him, leave him completely undisturbed, making sure the mouse you've offered is properly defrosted and adequately heated when you give it to him. don't worry about him not being heated, we're only talking 20 mins or so before he's returned to his viv. (although if that doesn't work you could try leaving him overnight but you'd have to heat half of the tub ideally)

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  20:34:27  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
my adult males arent eatin atm everytime i get them out the musk everywhere. whats that about?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  20:44:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
you've got to either really P a corn off, or have an incredibly nervous corn for them to musk you, it's more a cali/king thing!

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  22:23:30  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
must be really nervous then. dont know if you rememeber my previous thread about my butter striking at the viv and shakin his tail. that would also indicate him bein nervous wouldnt it? if so what can i do?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000