Housing in a conservatory
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  22:35:40  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
Hi guys, was just wondering, I'mm gonna be getting one of gp's amel stripes, and was just wondering, would it be ok for me to house my new snakie in the conservatory? It's ambient temp reaches about 28c and I also have self opening vents that open at around this temp. Would this be safe or will I have to re-think my rub placement?

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  22:38:13  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
not sure on this but you may find it gets very dry in there in the summer or very cold in the winter this is just a guess

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  22:42:06  Show Profile
I'm no expert, but does you conservatory have full sun, some shade or full shade as as you probably know they cant be kept in direct sunlight, but i'm sure some other people that are more experience than me can tell you more. One last thing, that would be the aire temp and not neccessarally the viv's actual temp.
Hope in some way this helps!! :)
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  22:44:10  Show Profile
I personaly wouldnt. There is a good chance of it over heating and it will be very hard to control ambient temps.

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  22:54:40  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
thanks guy's, looks like I'm gonna be setting up in the kitchen then.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  22:59:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
BTW your amel stripe shed tonight Scott

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  23:02:44  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address
from what i have heard kitchen int too great either as high traffic.. snakey needs a chilled relitively quite place ..

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  23:03:28  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
oooh thanks for letting me know ali.

Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  23:07:09  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

from what i have heard kitchen int too great either as high traffic.. snakey needs a chilled relitively quite place ..

Not a worry, our's is a large L shaped room, so will be going in the secluded end.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2009 :  00:16:34  Show Profile
mines in a conservatory and the temps are kept fine as long as you have good ventilation and ofc, on a stat
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2009 :  11:13:20  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

from what i have heard kitchen int too great either as high traffic..

not in my house it aint,got a hard job getting the mrs in there

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

35 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  19:04:37  Show Profile
My kitchen is the least used room in my flat ha ,live above a parade of shops ,inc chinky,chippy,pizzashop,and bakery, heaven!

1.1.0 amel.."andy" ..caramel??... "sarah"?
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  22:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Only just been able to add to this thread.

I did have my Beardie tank in the conservatory until about 3 days ago, then i moved it on top of my snake tanks. It was incredibly awkward to control the temps in there in current weather. However I do also have a south facing garden, so it gets sun on the conservatory from sunrise to sunset.

I've put my fish tank in there now, and have UNPLUGGED the heater on it, to see temp fluctuations in water. Temp has hit a high of 29.7 celcius and a low of 25.4 celcius in the past 3 days.
To keep a 100 litre fish tank warm need a fair amount of heat. The ambient heat in my conservatory (with doors open) has hit 42 as a high and 13 as a low.

Conservatories are a bit finicky, but possible to house in, just DON'T use a glass viv.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000