Author  Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  02:09:35  Show Profile
I have an female corn snake
she is 6 years old and is 5 and a half feet long
i woke up and found an egg just outside her hide
i thought this was strange as she has not been in contact with an male snake or any other snake
then i lifted her hide up and she was curled around about 20 eggs

should i be worried ?
what has caused this

could someone help !!

thanks

edit= moved to breeding

Edited by - lee2308 on 02/07/2009 13:10:26

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  02:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Hiya and welcome to the forum.

First off how long have you had her?? has she definately not been in contact with other males?
I wouldn't be worried to much, although just give her a check over to make sure she has laid all of them.
To check her over, just pick her up and run your thumb down the length of her underside.

Some snakes have been known to store sperm, some are even parthenogenic, but that's incredibly rare. In fact I believe that is only possible in livebearers.
What colour are the eggs? do you have an incubator of any kind set-up at the moment, just in case.

BTW, to put parthenogenic in crude but more understandable terms, it means self-cloning. Correct phrasing may be parthenogenetic, I cannot remember, it's late and I should be in bed.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  12:28:33  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
hi,as already said,snakes can retain sperm from the previous season so if you have not had her long they could be fertile.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000