Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Links
 The End Of Reptile Keeping, Or A Fight To Survive?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  09:20:17  Show Profile
They can't exactly ban us for cruelty with certain snakes as most snakes purchased are captive breds, and releasing the captive breds into the wild might cause it huge amounts of stress. So the Government would be causing the animals harm.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  09:20:17  Show Profile
They can't exactly ban us for cruelty with certain snakes as most snakes purchased are captive breds, and releasing the captive breds into the wild might cause it huge amounts of stress. So the Government would be causing the animals harm.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  11:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Sorry to thread-jack, but the quote about 'peta' reminded me of something one of my mates said about 10 years ago.
He said that it's funny how animal activists will throw paint over people wearing fur, but you've never seen them throw paint over bikers in their leathers.

I'm aware that the leather is probably produced from slaughtered food animals, but it's still the same thing surely?

Anyway, just thought i'd drop that in, you can have your thread back now.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2008 :  11:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Sorry to thread-jack, but the quote about 'peta' reminded me of something one of my mates said about 10 years ago.
He said that it's funny how animal activists will throw paint over people wearing fur, but you've never seen them throw paint over bikers in their leathers.

I'm aware that the leather is probably produced from slaughtered food animals, but it's still the same thing surely?

Anyway, just thought i'd drop that in, you can have your thread back now.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  01:15:15  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
spot on with that kehhlyr

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  01:15:15  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
spot on with that kehhlyr

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  14:40:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ok, I'm a hypocrit

i'm a very strict veggie (no, not even Haribo as they've got gelatine in) but I love my leather New Rock boots and leather jacket

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  14:40:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ok, I'm a hypocrit

i'm a very strict veggie (no, not even Haribo as they've got gelatine in) but I love my leather New Rock boots and leather jacket

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  19:25:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

ok, I'm a hypocrit

To the cross! Thou shall be burnt!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

471 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  19:25:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

ok, I'm a hypocrit

To the cross! Thou shall be burnt!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  21:00:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
could be worse, snake-skin boots???

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2008 :  21:00:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
could be worse, snake-skin boots???

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  04:01:00  Show Profile
I heard something similar, but i am pretty sure there is a way of getting some sort of thing to show you can take care of them properly. I did hear from my vet as large reptiles i.e boas and iguanas are getting dumped etc they are taking measures to control this. Where i live the council have a strict rule any reptile exceeding 5 foot is not allowed. It wasnt tha long ag when i workd at beaver water world in taversham that we had news that an adult yellow anaconda was dumped in bluewater kent shopping centre.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  07:08:52  Show Profile
Nothing exceeding 5ft?!?! A 5ft burm is very differant to a 5ft corn.

Thats terrible about the conda

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  21:25:26  Show Profile
I know its sad about the conda, the good news was they found a home with a herpetolgist somewhere near Cornwall. Yeah i know what you mean the council said to me anything no bigger than 5 foot is allowed in a council property. And yet its pretty ironic they allowed a neighbour of mine who is a council tenant a DWA licence for a diamondback rattlesnake. Life s sure ironic sometimes haha.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  13:27:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
suppose in theory somebody applying for DWA is a highly experienced, responsible keeper, who has had their facilities checked out. whereas ANYONE can go out and buy a 10ft retic.....

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  14:44:50  Show Profile
The guy is know who has the DWA, apparantly he also did studies in Australia to handle venomous snakes. So i respct this guy for going the right way about it, but i totally agree with you ginger about retics. After seeing the man eating snakes programme an the stories i have heard from my vets where retics measure themselves up to work out when they can eat thier owners does worry me. I mean complete no disrespect to any that have retics as pets. My view is that if you hve full knowledge and space for these kind of snakes then thats absolutely fantastic and should own them, but what worries me is when ignorant people who first, dont do thier homework and then go buy one, and because of this there is a loss of life of family pet or member. This isnt a rant, just being blunt here. Because of this ignorance you hear on the news how snakes are so dangerous and can kill you. So these people or groups trying to stop reptiles are being kept as pets are using this evidence to back thier view up. And like that story not too long ago about the baby getting salmonella from a BRB. The owners claimed they did all the research into the reptile and learnt about the risks, yet said this. "i didnt know we could get salmonella from a snake." And the minister of health pretty much gave them a "i told you so" statement.

Edited by - n/a on 26/10/2008 15:43:25
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  15:16:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Xalia

i have heard from my vets where retics measure themselves up to work out when they can eat thier owners does worry me. I mean complete no disrespect to any that have retics as pets.

I agree with you Xalia, but i have to tell you that this is a myth and nothing more.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

196 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  15:39:11  Show Profile
I think i better change vets then lol.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2008 :  15:46:56  Show Profile