Vivarium Heat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

219 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  23:02:55  Show Profile
Hiya everyone I got my fist butter corn snake " Flora " on fri just wondering if someone could help me tho I've got the viv all set up I haven't got a heat lamp in there was told they don't need one I have got a heat mat on a thermostat set at 30 degrees Celsius but it's doesn't feel that warm in there, Flora seems content sat in her hide at the warm end tho, should it feel like room temperature

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  23:06:23  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
mines set at 28c so yh its the right temp lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

219 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  23:08:57  Show Profile
thanks again for your help Brookestar I'm just paranoid that I'm gunna do something wrong just want to give her the best I can does your viv feel warm inside or does it just feel like room temp? sorry for going on lol
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2009 :  23:55:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sounds spot on flossy, corns seem to do better with 'belly heat' (from underneath, like a mat) and 30*C measuring on top of the substrate above the heatmat sounds just right

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  00:20:06  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address
mines a bit low i thinks then
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

219 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  00:25:56  Show Profile
Wicked thanks gingerpony
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  08:58:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
28-30*C i go for, bearing in mind an on/off stat will vary aboout a degree either side of what you set it

Go to Top of Page

Mick
Yearling

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  09:48:10  Show Profile
Not sure if you have one, but I would recommend a digital thermometer with a probe, can get em cheap on ebay, and set your temps with that as its more accurate than the stat. I put the probe from it on the substrate in the warm hide, then i know for certain what temp he's lying on.

1.0.0 Hypo Striped Corn (Mojo)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  12:12:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
exactly right Mick that's what i do too

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

219 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  12:58:28  Show Profile
good tip guys I shall get one off ebay
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

219 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  20:12:33  Show Profile
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I need help, so I bought a digital thermometer today got home put it in the tank and the highest reading I could get above substrate on the warm end was about 23 degrees C !!!!! my thermostat was set at 30 degrees I have no idea what is going on with it to get a reading of about 30 degrees from the digital thermometer I've had to set my thermostat to 38 degrees !! but also the digital thermometer has two setting in/out of tank and I'm not sure which one to read from as the whole unit is inside but I get totally different readings I'm SOOOOOOOO confused
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  20:19:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ignore the dial on the stat, set it by the temps you'r getting from the digi thermometer. if you're only getting 23*C on top of the substrate i'd suggest thinning your substrate over your heatmat, otherwise it will insulate the heat from the snake

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

219 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  20:22:56  Show Profile
ok brilliant but to add extra confusion to all of this lol on the digital thermometer I have two different readings one says 24.5 degrees and the other says 30.1 degrees which one should I go with
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  21:21:40  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
like gp says go on th thermoter i also put a tile on my heat mat as it holds the temp much better than say aspen and also offers a diffrent texture for the snake

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

219 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  21:24:46  Show Profile
fingers crossed I think I have it sorted I'll keep a close eye on it over the next few days to make sure but thanks for the help, what kind of tile have you got yours on??
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  21:49:14  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
just a floor tile from any DIY shop about £1 for 1 tile. i think i use a 12"x12" tile for my 11"x11" heat mats. it also stops the snake coming in contact with the heat mat.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

219 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  21:50:51  Show Profile
cool thanks for that =0)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  08:34:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by flossy

ok brilliant but to add extra confusion to all of this lol on the digital thermometer I have two different readings one says 24.5 degrees and the other says 30.1 degrees which one should I go with
sounds like you have a dual-thermometer, does it have 1 or 2 probes? the probes should be labelled and then correspond to each temp displayed.
orRTFM?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

219 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  21:38:56  Show Profile
it's only got one probe but I've sorted it now and flora is very happy shes sooooo much more livelier now than she was she must have been cold
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  09:53:25  Show Profile
At moment am keeping Kellog in same situation as he was when we bought him cos he hasnt eaten yet. He hasnt got a heat mat and the substrate is shavings. Did change bulb cos was told viv wasnt warm enough which might lead to him not feeding. Just checked heat (10am) and hot end is 85F, cold end 70F. Measured by monitors stuck half way up wall, hot end one very near bulb. Light on timer, which turns it off at 10pm and on at 7am. Am up in night as chronically ill and he is often out and about in middle of night. I would rather he was on heat mat but worried about making any changes to viv while he is not eating. Is heat ok? What is ideal heating situation?

Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2009 :  10:14:16  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address
I would get a heat mat! Snakes need heat from their bellies not from the air, so a heat mat is the best option! Have you got a thermostat? If not you really need one to control the temps! You also need some digital thermometers (at least 1) to measure the temperature of the substrate in the hot end!

And i'm sure your snake won't mind the change, if anything he should prefer it lol!!

Hope this helps!
Andy!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000