Always in cool side
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  16:58:04  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address
Hello, muppet here

Fluffy (who i will have had for 4 weeks this thursday), always seems to be in his hide on the cooler side.
He hardly ever comes out or moves around at all, and he is also under some kitchen paper so he could escape and i would have no idea (but when i change his water each day, i check to make sure he is still there).

I was wondering if the temps were too hot?
24*C cool end and 30*C hot end (i dont have digital thermometers yet)

Or could it be something to do with him shedding?
He has been in blue eyes for the last few days and yesterday was back to normal. Would it be anything to do with that?

Or am i just being paranoid and do snakes normall like to stay in one place for days on end without moving?

Any ideas on why, and if there is a problem, how to fix it.

Thank you

1.0.0 Amel Corn - Fluffy!

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  17:33:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
you could try turning the stat down a fraction to see it it helps..........

are both the hides the same size? does the warm one get any direct light from either in-viv lighting or through a window? one hide might just be more appealing than the other for various reasons, could try switching which end you're heating

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  17:37:01  Show Profile
I agree with GP. Its also worth thinking that when a snake goes into shed, it wont really move from where it started the shedding cycle. So if it started in the cool hide, it wont wonder out.

Go to Top of Page

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  17:37:27  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address
as far as i know, neither end is in direct sunlight at any point (and i wat to get some sort of lighting soon as it migh seem always night for him), bu the only reason i can think of that it might be more appealing is that there is an extra layer of kitchen roll (for some unknown reason), and perhaps he likes to hide so i cant see any of his body.

When i do lift up the paper to make sure he is still there (), he has his head poking out lookin at me.
I jut dont want him to not want to go into the warm end, and be unable to thermoregulate, and become ill because of it.

Edited by - muppet9976 on 15/06/2009 17:40:11
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  17:40:57  Show Profile
Maybe you should put up a pic of his tank?

Go to Top of Page

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  17:46:50  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address
yea ok. Think i already have one.

I will upload a more updated on in a min.

There are 2 or the right hand side hides now

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  18:35:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
personally i'd try heating the other end ie. the end that he prefers. it could be that he's more comfy in that particular hide. i'd also add something to provide him with some 'cover' some people use fake plants but i usually use co****ly shredded paper that they can burrow in too

Go to Top of Page

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  18:59:23  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address
then wouldnt he be getting to warm?

Go to Top of Page

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  22:02:23  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address
here is a better pic of the viv.
He has a little cardboard tube to climb up, and some paper so he can get used to my scent.

And a pic of him in blue eyes that i took as few days ago.

Edited by - muppet9976 on 15/06/2009 22:03:03
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  22:10:00  Show Profile
Ok. If your reading the temperatures like that, the real surface temperature will be closer to 35*C+ than 30*C. He will be trying to move away from the heat. Turn the stat down a bit and lie the dials flat on the floor until you can get a digital thermometer.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  00:31:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by muppet9976

heat the other end INSTEAD, pfft! muppet

and yes,as matty pointed out in teh pic, far too hot!!!

Go to Top of Page

muppet9976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  17:20:56  Show Profile  Click to see muppet9976's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by muppet9976

heat the other end INSTEAD, pfft! muppet

and yes,as matty pointed out in teh pic, far too hot!!!

No i meant, if he is always staying in that side because he liked that side in particular, wouldnt he get too hot?

But thanks, will turn down now.
Will also invest in a digital thermometer.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000