New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  19:38:54  Show Profile
Just got to get the doors done then my viv is complete. Should i stick to 4mm glass or is perspex ok. Just thinking that perspex might bend out of the runners.

cumbrian eejit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  19:46:28  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
If you do decide to go with perspex, try on flea-bay, there is a good business seller called RED PLASTICS ONLINE. They did the sheets for cecil's viv, and even cut it to the right size for free. Was well packaged and was sent out very quickly.
Hope this helps, scott.

lost track of the day's now, but I'm getting my amel stripe corn on the 2nd of August!!!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  19:50:06  Show Profile
Perspex wont bend out of the runners, but it does scratch easily. I would go for glass.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  21:19:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
matty has a point but i went for perspex and i'm really hppy with it, RED plastics were great to deal with and delivered really quickly

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  21:43:23  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
i think i might have used red plastics im happy with my perspexs i sent slightly wrong measurement but as it was pespex it was easy for me to cut and sand to size

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  21:48:09  Show Profile
Just sent an email to red plastics for a price. Will see what they say. Going to get a price for glass tomorrow as well.
Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  22:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
I personally prefer the toughened glass option. I've heard some people mention that Perspex can flex a bit so they have had to fit runners to the sides to prevent it being pushed out accidentally!

I do think however that Perspex should be fine for keeping snakes. Not so suitable for housing lizards like BDs mainly because the little blighters have claws!

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  22:16:03  Show Profile
I have got side runners fitted anyway Bud, think it looks better

Edited by - Remmy on 29/06/2009 22:16:25
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  22:21:46  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Remmy

I have got side runners fitted anyway Bud, think it looks better

same here have side runners i think it adds mor surcurity

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  22:29:17  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
always best to have side runners just incase you forget to lock the viv,stops them from opening the doors

Go to Top of Page

Mick
Yearling

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2009 :  23:47:04  Show Profile
I got a quote for perspex, then shopped around and got my toughened glass for almost the same price ;)
You dont need to get the edges polished (thats what boosts the price up) the glaziers sand them a bit for ease of handling, then just get some fine wet n dry and you can sand them some more if you like. Thats what I did, cost me £12.08 for my toughened glass

1.0.0 Hypo Striped Corn (Mojo)

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  20:05:07  Show Profile
Well it looks like glass. Red perspex haven`t replied to my email and i need it before saturday. btw does the glass have to be toughened. People have told me ordinary glass is ok.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000