wooden vivs what size lamps
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  08:31:13  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address
right as titale suggests im gonna be making wooden vivs.. so need to look into heat lamps.. so i would like to know what wattage lamps for a 2,3+4 ft vivs... as have been looking at the exxo terra heat waves.. anyone used these are they worth it.. ????

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  10:03:34  Show Profile
For corns stick with heat mats - easier, cheeper and gives them evrything they need. My corns used to have a heatlight byt kept getting inside the cage - Doh!

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  10:13:20  Show Profile
i agree, mats are so much easier to have.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  16:18:15  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address
lol fair enough... but still wanna know what wattage lamps to use for those sized vivs..

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  16:51:10  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
if your going for a lamp you will need a irfrared or a ceramic as corns wont like the light and with these you can leave them on 24/7, you would probably need a 50,75 and a 100w lamp,but like the others said just stick with a mat as corns prefer belly heat.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  16:55:05  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
just realised those exo ones are ceramics,thought you meant a light lamp

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  17:01:46  Show Profile
The whole time I've kept snakes I haven't used a heat mat. I make sure the enclosure is just the right size for the snake in question and use a basking light pretected with cage and nothing else. With young corns I buy an enclosure and soft basking light (50watt - 75watt)but keep the snake in a rub within the enclosure until it's a good size and not able to get through the gaps in the cage. I use same method for Kings also and i've never had any problems.

Lights for those size enclosures I'd say 2ft 75-100w 3ft 100-125w and 4ft I'd use 2x 100w (Maybe never had a vivarium that big?

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  17:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage
If you go with heat-mats, they should cover approx 1/3rd the floor area of your viv. So it really depends how wide your vivs are going to be too.
I use a 17"x11" 20W Habistat mat in a 3ft x 15" viv. I could probably get away with an 11"x11" TBH though.

They're much lower wattage than lamps too, so will be cheaper to run.

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  13:38:59  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage
I use a mat and a red lamp (just in case the house is cold and the mat can't make it up to temp). At the moment I have a 100w bulb in and it just comes on / off as the stat needs. It is rarely on though (in the summer) and I don't think it ever gets close to full power. The lamp is also on a timer to allow a bit of a drop at night.

The main problem I have had in the past is putting too much substrate over the mat. Before I realised I was doing this the mat would only get the warm end to 25 deg (hence the light) but since I've sorted my depth of substrate out the mat now gets upto 29deg and the lamp really is there only as a back up.

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  01:01:10  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address
dont have a prob with heat mat as substrate in corns tank is v thin.. reaches temp nice... gonna use bulb for me royal though..

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  11:22:45  Show Profile
my corns will all be on infrared...

i did not like these much to start, but i am like them possibly better than ceramics now...

and they give a better ambient temp than a heat mat ever could...

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000