FAO Gingerpony & Paulusworm
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  19:04:38  Show Profile
I have been offered a dumerils boa, at what i think(?), is a good price. I was hoping you two might be able to give me some advice on the care of these gorgeous snakes. I know the basics:
32-26c hot to cold. A bit of humidity - big water bowl & occasional misting, & stuff to climb. But as you know, knowing the basic care of an animal isnt enough to look after it properly.
I know the dum has got its chip (i really didnt expect it to be noticeable!) but i dont know about its papers. I know its illegal to sell them without, so i'm guessing it has.
What would be the biggest a male would get?
Any recomendations on their care?
What size vivs have you got for yours?[
Ta very much!

1.1.0 Corn Snakes: Dante & Hades
2.0.0 Cats: Orpheus & Dimitri
0.1.0 Dog: Sophie
0.0.1 GALS
1.0.0 Mexi Black - Lucifer

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2009 :  13:18:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
EA - i'm not ignoring this i'm just a bit pushed for time, will definitely reply in full tonight

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2009 :  20:55:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
they are a fantastic, very under-rated species if it's a good price snap it up, and if you decide it's not your thing i'll buy it off you, lol
husbandry:
30-32*C warm end, they're heavy bodied snakes so ceramic/bulb/reptile radiator work best for their heating. there only needs to be a few *C difference between the warm and cold end and if you want to give them a night-time drop (i don't) it shouldn't be more than 2*C. they like to burrow, they're ambush hunters and will bury themselves in deep substrate and wait for prey to come their way. i have both mine on a sheet of newspaper with co**** shredded paper on top, about 6" of it. as they're a terrestrial species they don't really climb. they come from a arrid, dry area so misting is unneccessary (and potentially detrimental to their health) and mine both shed fine with only a big water bowl to soak in but a damp hide might be needed for some individuals.
the species:
they usually top out at 7-8 ft but grow slowly, Madagascan ground boas (not Dumerils) will normally grow a little bit bigger. they're generally good to handle and mine are always quite sociable - they usually have their head poking out keeping an eye on what's going on, not like some of my corns who i wouldn't see from one feed to the next! they can be fussy feeders even when your husbandry is spot on. Marilyn feeds every 10 days-ish, she takes rats but needs a mouse as a starter and needs to be left on her own with her meal. little Dumbo apparently fed 4 times last year and he's not much bigger than a yearling corn. he's taken a gerbil for me in the few months i've had him - so not for the faint-hearted!
Marilyn's a chunky 5ft+ and i've just moved her into 3/4 of a 4'x2' viv, Dumbo's RUB is in the other 1/4.
legalities:
they should come with an A10 certificate which is usually yellow, depending on how old the snake was when it was issued it may or may not have it's sex and it's microchip number on it. basically they get issued with an A10 shortly after they're born (they are live-bearers) and should be issued with another at around 18 months old if they are to be used for breeding/commercial use. my CB05 male still has his original A10 though, i'm not sure what the implications of this are. THE A10 PROVES THEY ARE CB AND IT'S A LEGAL REQUIREMENT IF YOU WANT TO SELL OR BREED YOUR DUM. chipping is done around 18 months of age, providing they are big enough (sorry PW, not got a guideline minimum weight yet). this matches the specific snake with specific paperwork as one Dum looks pretty much the same as the next. some vets insert the m/chip unfder a local anaesthetic into the 'left side nape of neck' others feel chipping is invasive and will physically hand you the microchip to keep and write a letting explaining their actions.

wow, that's quite a lot to read, feel free to email me or posta again on here though

had hope you get one, they're fantastic!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2009 :  22:51:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

if you decide it's not your thing i'll buy it off you, lol

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  22:16:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

quote:

well it would be rude not to offer...................

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

589 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  23:52:28  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

quote:

well it would be rude not to offer...................

your a wonderful person do you know that...

Rat World, Frozen Rats/Multis/Gerbils/Mice

T.0845 250 0020

2.3.0. Royals.1.2.0 Corns. RIP Sadie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

181 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2009 :  23:36:40  Show Profile
Thank you very much for the info and offer GP.

I took the plunge and i bring home the Dum tomorrow. Im a bit nervous as ive been told he is a terrible feeder. Hopefully with a bit of work and patience i can bring him round. I've been through it with my corn, so i can kinda picture what i'm letting myslef in for!

Thank you again. Very much appreciated. Expect pics soon

1.1.0 Corn Snakes: Dante & Hades
2.0.0 Cats: Orpheus & Dimitri
0.1.0 Dog: Sophie
0.0.1 GALS
1.0.0 Mexi Black - Lucifer
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  22:20:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
have you got an age? size? weight?
my worst ever feeder is my male 05 Dum, as a comparison:
Marilyn and (Dum)Bo are both CB05 Dumerils boas
Marilyn probably weighs around 2kg at a guess, (Dum)Bo weighs around 550g
Marilyn is about 5ft long with plenty of girth, (Dum)Bo is 3ft long and has the girth of a yearling corn.......... you can feel his ribs
apparently he fed 4 times last year for his previous owner, i've had him 2-3 months and he recently took a gerbil but hasn't taken anything else since. i'm thinking of going down the 'live' route. if you've got a known problem feeder i hope you're not the stressy type any probs feel free to email me and congrats on your purchase, I LOVE DUMS

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000